sony mdr ma900 vs sony mdr 1r
Mar 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:
dear headphile

i clicked on your link to compsourse but it has a price of $197 with free shipping . that is still a few dollars better than sonic but where did you get the $187 with free shipping quote ? should i call compsourse and inquire about a price of $187 with free shipping ? every penny that i can save buying the sony mdr-ma900 would be welcome . thanks .

doggrell3000
new york ny

I just checked that link and even added it to the cart and still got $187.00 with free shipping. I try not to spend more than I have to also.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #47 of 62
dear headphile

thank you for your follow up on the compsourse link . i just tried it again and still got $197 with free shipping even in the checkout cart . so apparently they like you more than they like me . i will definitely call compsourse tomorrow and request a price of $187 with free shipping . i will explain to them that my good buddy headphile gets his sony mdr-ma900 for $187 . you must be some kind of celebrity . celebrities always get better deals than us peons . seriously i think it is weird that we hit the same link and get two different prices . meanwhile the amazon link for sony mdr-ma900 has now dropped to $199.96 but you still have to pay shipping of $5.49 . my money will go to the cheapest seller . the internet really keeps these sellers competitive .

doggrell3000
new york ny

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:
dear headphile

thank you for your follow up on the compsourse link . i just tried it again and still got $197 with free shipping even in the checkout cart . so apparently they like you more than they like me . i will definitely call compsourse tomorrow and request a price of $187 with free shipping . i will explain to them that my good buddy headphile gets his sony mdr-ma900 for $187 . you must be some kind of celebrity . celebrities always get better deals than us peons . seriously i think it is weird that we hit the same link and get two different prices . meanwhile the amazon link for sony mdr-ma900 has now dropped to $199.96 but you still have to pay shipping of $5.49 . my money will go to the cheapest seller . the internet really keeps these sellers competitive .

doggrell3000
new york ny

Just checked again and it is at $197 now. The $187 was when I followed a link from google search for shopping and added them to my cart. I have seen them that low before so the price on these fluctuates online. I would call them and say they were at $187 shipped yesterday and see if they will sell them at that price.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #49 of 62
I have both these headphones (I'm the author of the MA900/ AD900x comparison linked earlier) and I do not think the comparison is as simple as the M900 being the better headphone for classical piano because it has less bass.

As suggested they are both different headphones. The MA900 has a sprightly lightness in tone that makes piano quite fun to listen to, but the lower registers are still lacking a visceral quality.

The MDR-1r, because it is darker, has a much more direct feel as suggested earlier. In some ways this makes the dynamics of the lower registers of the piano more engaging.

If I was listening to Rachmaninov for instance I'd like the MDR-1r because its more suited for something bombastic.

It's a matter of taste which one you prefer, but for home use you couldn't go wrong with the MA900 on comfort alone.. Since you plan on getting both you will be able to compare. (Rather than just taking for granted that the MDR-1 is exclusively tuned for pop music because Sony paid some musicians to sit in a studio in front of a camera and make nice faces).

On a technical level I do not think either headphone compares favourably with the Momentum.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #50 of 62
dear a_recording

i wish i could afford the sennheiser momentums . i am concerned by your comment that the sony mdr-ma900 does not have enough bass for a grand piano recording . i guess i can always goose the bass on my grand piano recordings with an eq boost . solo grand piano recordings vary a lot in their quality . some of the best piano players sound dull because the studio engineer made a dull recording . still i am attracted to the mdr-ma900 because they are so light weight and comfortable according to all reviews . no matter what i choose there will always be a better option -- if i had more cash . such is life .

doggrell3000
new york ny

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #51 of 62
Oh, I never said not enough bass! It's just different.

It seems like that was meant to be a PM? Hehe.

How about you link me to some tracks and I can tell you what differences I hear between the two?

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #52 of 62
dear a_recording

i will link you to a couple of good solo piano recordings --- if i can figure out how to do it . i would like to get your opinion on the piano played through the sony mdr-ma900 and mdr-r1 . thank you . i am not sure how to link the piano pieces but i will attempt to do so .

doggrell3000
new york ny

May 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #53 of 62
My father needed a headphone for playing piano (electric).  I ordered him a MA 900 from ebay for $175 shipped.  Day after my purchase he picked up my 15 year old 7506 and liked it.  The MA 900 came today and out of the box I thought this sounds way worst than the F1.  After 3 hours of tones and test sounds I have to say that I don't want to give it up.  My father is happy with the raggitty 7506.  The overall tone and presentation is my cup of tea and it weighs next to nothing.  My only dislike is the small headband putting pressure in one small spot on top the head and the cheap cloth material of the pads and headband.  The ultrasuede  on the F1 is so much more comfortable and luxurious feeling.

One of these days I might let my father try it on the piano. 
size]

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #57 of 62
It's interesting that the OP has never posted back with impressions or thoughts after starting this thread and receiving the ma900. I ran across this thread as I'm interested in the ma900. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #58 of 62
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #59 of 62
Nov 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #60 of 62
  Hmmm , I had a session with them recently and I was disappointed unfortunately , after buying the HM5 (FA-003) I really can't find a Mid-Fi headphone which sounds as good 

why were you disappointed? there are a lot of good options in the mid-range portable headphones. if you can be more detailed w/ what you're looking for maybe I can throw out a few recs. theres the v-moda m100 (more bass), sennheiser momentums (similar sound as 1r, but more technical & better build materials), akg k550s (more neutral, but big & not really portable). the ue600 has recently dropped down to $190. ultrasone pro 900 has a lotta fans. the mad dog is not really portable, but has really highly reviewed SQ.

For the MDR-1R, I was mainly impressed w/ the comfort. I haven't had another pair of portable over-ear headphones as comfy as those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back