** Sony MDR MA900 Review **
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 22
I don't know if someone mentioned it already but the sony would automatically be bad with the Bottlehead crack and anything negative about them could be cured if paired with an amp with a low output impedance. Heck, try them out of an iphone or something like that and they should sound better than out of the crack.

May 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #17 of 22
Very nicely written but the shortcomings that you have found with the Sony are all to be expected. An OTL Amp, ideally suited to High impedance Phones, is hardly an ideal conduit for the MDR- MA900. For such a Low impedance design, a near-zero output impedance is mandatory!

Best,

Leonel

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 22
I initially disagree with a few things on his review, especially describing MA900 as "dry", but after I read on to see that his "dry" is being the most natural sounding signature, I do agree with that point wholeheartedly.
Maybe the OP would be glad now that Sony again has recently come out with a new Flagship that felled many of his said "super analytical" headphones, with "Musicality" as its strongest arsenal. Check them out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818846/the-official-sony-mdr-z1r-flagship-headphone-thread-live-from-ifa-2016

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 22
I know this thread looks long dead. I've just managed to buy these headphones. Anybody know of a suitable portable case for them?

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 22
any headphoje case that can fit a fullsize headphone really, because of its thin profile, it actually doesnt occopy a lot of space width - wise, maybe jist be careful of the thickess of the case, as it has quite sizeable baffle to accomodate that 70mm driver after all. As long as it isnt too snug and got pressed in tight space, itd be alright, it is quite flexible, so id rather there to be some leftover space and add some padding in between the crevice rather than risking the thin arm bent/ broken without knowing

May 21, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #21 of 22
my 2c :]
you say there's no bass, but resistor mod + shortened cable + magni 2u (low output impedance & high power amp) = more sub-bass than HD650. I can't imagine the bottlecrack amp (with its high impedance transformer output) can deliver the high current needed by ma900 to produce proper low-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back