Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #211 of 2,677
The sound stage of the ma900 just thoroughly trounces that of the hd650...amazing. As I've spend another day with the hp's I'm just more impressed than I was at day one. The sound stage, comfort and imaging are off the charts good at this price point. Just wow...

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #212 of 2,677
  The sound stage of the ma900 just thoroughly trounces that of the hd650...amazing. As I've spend another day with the hp's I'm just more impressed than I was at day one. The sound stage, comfort and imaging are off the charts good at this price point. Just wow...

Wow that's crazy so does that mean your getting rid of you HD650

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #214 of 2,677
  The rear opening is lesser by a notable margin becuase the driver's increase in diameter, as well as the angle being smaller slightly.  So yeah, less breathy than F1 but as others said it's still a notch above pretty much anything except HD800/K1000/PFR-V1 in this regard.

I did bypass the ressisors and it does bring a subtle improvemed clarity across the board, enhancing the openess even more... but it's really in the last few percent of improvement, like a nice upgraded cable might bring.

The current ebay deal is quite amazing i might add, I'm really buffled as to how the seller can offer such a floor-low price and still make a profit considering the original MSRP. Could Sony's inital mark-up been really that high?

Yes please do post some pics of which of the resistors you bypassed? The 1.2 ohm or the 12 ohm i think it was when i opened my set up??

The soft audio technica AT line of pads makes for a nice mod along with either the Hd-650 or pc-360 head band up top.. 

Some have complained about veil in the set and not enough treble energy. I removed the thick felt donut cloth from in front of the drivers to make it alil more bright...I added some material behind the drivers magnets to try and put back some dampning for the lows but yet try and retain my added treble energy on the front side of the driver facing the ear..

Sony needs to make the driver cups also out of the light weight metal and not plastic.

All in all i call my SA900    "BABY-650" 

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #215 of 2,677

Wow that's crazy so does that mean your getting rid of you HD650

I'm not ready to sell off my 650's yet. They have been collecting dust over the past three days though. I need more time. I'll see where I'm at with this decision after a few months. If the 650's are still dusty then I'll sell them. 

Yes please do post some pics of which of the resistors you bypassed? The 1.2 ohm or the 12 ohm i think it was when i opened my set up??

The soft audio technica AT line of pads makes for a nice mod along with either the Hd-650 or pc-360 head band up top.. 

Some have complained about veil in the set and not enough treble energy. I removed the thick felt donut cloth from in front of the drivers to make it alil more bright...I added some material behind the drivers magnets to try and put back some dampning for the lows but yet try and retain my added treble energy on the front side of the driver facing the ear..

Sony needs to make the driver cups also out of the light weight metal and not plastic.

All in all i call my SA900    "BABY-650" 

I don't find the needed for added padding on the headband. Feels just right to me. And I also don't need more treble energy as I like a touch darker signature. 

Yes, you could have Sony improve the quality of material but then they'd want more money for them. The biggest issue for me is the cheap cable. That's the only mod that I'll definitely do. 

Baby 650 seems about right on the mark to me, where the baby brother does a few things better. 
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #216 of 2,677
Anyone here have any experience with the fischer FA-011?

I currently have them and enjoy the "open" sound, but constantly find myself grabbing my senn HD428, because they are more comfortable.

I would be looking to replace the FA-011 with a similar sound signature.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #217 of 2,677
They're not gonna have the FA-011's bass, but I personally feel that they're well balanced and do a manner of things well including movies. They're a worthy investment if you want a good, balanced, warm sound. Good mid bass, not a lot of sub bass.

Again, for you, I feel the Fidelio X1 is a better fit.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #218 of 2,677
I've been looking for something like the ma900 for many months. I tried that momentum and that didn't do it for me on any level. Only kept it for a week and then sold it. Now there is the polar opposite of the ma900. The roomiest cups I've ever tried vs the smallest cups I've used. 

How good is the sound stage on the ma900. I turned on the music about an hour ago and I was sure that I had accidentally turned on my speakers. 
blink.gif
 I had to take the ma900 to realize the sound was coming from the hp and not the speakers. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #219 of 2,677
  I've been looking for something like the ma900 for many months. I tried that momentum and that didn't do it for me on any level. Only kept it for a week and then sold it. Now there is the polar opposite of the ma900. The roomiest cups I've ever tried vs the smallest cups I've used. 

How good is the sound stage on the ma900. I turned on the music about an hour ago and I was sure that I had accidentally turned on my speakers. 
blink.gif
 I had to take the ma900 to realize the sound was coming from the hp and not the speakers. 
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you found a new friend.
Tnx-for talking me into them,Matt...MLE as well-tnx

Delivery is Monday--I think?

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #220 of 2,677
  Anyone here have any experience with the fischer FA-011?

I currently have them and enjoy the "open" sound, but constantly find myself grabbing my senn HD428, because they are more comfortable.

I would be looking to replace the FA-011 with a similar sound signature.

That's certainly a tough call. I think in many ways the FA-011 got a bit of hype, and wasn't a headphone deserving all hype. My pair was really bright on top, and the bass distorted quite easily. I never compared these headphones side by side, but definitely owned both for a good chunk of time. 

To compare the two from memory I'd say

MA900
-sounds more open, and has a better instrument placement
-definitely more midrange
-hint of grain in the midrange
- Less bass hit
- rolled off treble
- probably 4th most comfortable headphone I've owned

FA-011
- More colored
- Lots of distortion in the low end
- A lot more bass impact
- lower hitting bass
- brighter treble that wasn't very controlled
- Found the earcups were too shallow and rubbed my ears constantly

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #221 of 2,677

That's certainly a tough call. I think in many ways the FA-011 got a bit of hype, and wasn't a headphone deserving all hype. My pair was really bright on top, and the bass distorted quite easily. I never compared these headphones side by side, but definitely owned both for a good chunk of time. 

To compare the two from memory I'd say

MA900
-sounds more open, and has a better instrument placement
-definitely more midrange
-hint of grain in the midrange
- Less bass hit
- rolled off treble
- probably 4th most comfortable headphone I've owned

FA-011
- More colored
- Lots of distortion in the low end
- A lot more bass impact
- lower hitting bass
- brighter treble that wasn't very controlled
- Found the earcups were too shallow and rubbed my ears constantly

I challenge you to name three more comfortable full sized hp's!! 

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #223 of 2,677
I've not tried on a pair of hd800's, but I have owned both the MD and hd650 for a considerable time period. They aren't even close to the comfort level of the ma900. I thought that the hd650 was really comfy and I do prefer lighter hp's. It's not just the fact that the ma900 is lightweight, it is. But system of "fit" just works perfectly. The enormous cups also are wonderful to me. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #224 of 2,677
  I challenge you to name three more comfortable full sized hp's!! 

Easy Squeezy

1. Sennheiser HD590. Most headphone I've ever worn by a longshot. I'd easily forget these were on my head.

2. Sony SA5000. Headband "netting" was much more comfy than the band

3. Audio Technica AD2000. Fit me like a glove and felt wonderful for long hours

4. Sony MA900

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #225 of 2,677
We will have to agree to agree to disagree on this one. 
atsmile.gif

While the ma900 does not "scale" with better amps, it does show some good legs with a better source. It sounds tremendous through the uberfrost with some hi res material. The sound stage just explodes and is completely off the map. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back