Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,221 of 2,677

I did a video 2 years ago in this post which is gone now. I can do another showing the eq and amp and track. My ma900 do not distort.  There must be a batch or a period when something changed? I can listen to 2pac just fine. Not like a closed back of course but in impact, accuracy and ability to be elevated.

I would EQ sub-bass 25-55Hz and not so much the 80-120 area as it has a bass lens and is designed to keep control of the diaphragm.  I sold my T1 because it did distort under EQ and amp but the ma900 does not.

not sure, can there be a batch that can distort more, than the others?

wondering a bit as some of the elements, are a bit prone to distort

what are your terms on how the SQ is, considering distortion, or not a pure signal, om the 900?

may be that there is more a SQ rather, still i find it a bit distorted in some elements, especially when Tony mentioned it 
will probably get better

what are your burn-in time, is there any that you feel is necessary, if there are some distortion or driver compression, that doesnt work flawlessly?

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #2,222 of 2,677

not sure, can there be a batch that can distort more, than the others?

wondering a bit as some of the elements, are a bit prone to distort

what are your terms on how the SQ is, considering distortion, or not a pure signal, om the 900?

may be that there is more a SQ rather, still i find it a bit distorted in some elements, especially when Tony mentioned it 
will probably get better

what are your burn-in time, is there any that you feel is necessary, if there are some distortion or driver compression, that doesnt work flawlessly?

Are you using an EQ and if so where and how much? What amp?

I think the SQ is fantastic. Analogue like warmth with no harsh treble. sub-bass can be rolled but I EQ that part and nothing else. Sound stage is peerless

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,223 of 2,677
Agree, its a very competent driver and respond well with some EQ on its lower frequencies IMO

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,225 of 2,677

Are you using an EQ and if so where and how much? What amp?

I think the SQ is fantastic. Analogue like warmth with no harsh treble. sub-bass can be rolled but I EQ that part and nothing else. Sound stage is peerless

no eq and if i want a high volume, JDS Labs Element

sometimes a bit lower on the 60 - 65 hz, what ive tried, may be that i use to high volume

it has good sound at lower volumes, that satisfies, still it get some not so very pleasurable small distortions in the SQ clean signal at higher volumes 

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2,226 of 2,677
Hello people :) Just got a quick question here.. What are the replacement pad options for the MA-900 in term of comfort and sq ? Are there any pads which are thicker than the stock and do not let your ears touch the drivers?

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,228 of 2,677
  Hello people :) Just got a quick question here.. What are the replacement pad options for the MA-900 in term of comfort and sq ? Are there any pads which are thicker than the stock and do not let your ears touch the drivers?

Any of the pads that fit the size of teh DT 990/880/770 will probably fit the ma900. Look for a thicker pad. Here's what I used. The cover over the ma900 driver itches my ears so those were removed as well. It's easy to do.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/2070#post_12530942

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,229 of 2,677

Any of the pads that fit the size of teh DT 990/880/770 will probably fit the ma900. Look for a thicker pad. Here's what I used. The cover over the ma900 driver itches my ears so those were removed as well. It's easy to do.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/2070#post_12530942

Does it alter the frequency response? Did you also remove the cloth in the middle of the dekoni pads?

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #2,230 of 2,677
  Does it alter the frequency response? Did you also remove the cloth in the middle of the dekoni pads?

On my experience with the brainwavz HM5 pads :

I removed the cloth in the middle of the HM5 pads, somewhat regret it

Sound became a tiny bit more shrilly, like there are more treble peaks from the MA900, less warm than stock pads.

Didn't try the dekoni pads though, so might or might not be the same results on the the dekoni

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,231 of 2,677
  On my experience with the brainwavz HM5 pads :

I removed the cloth in the middle of the HM5 pads, somewhat regret it

Sound became a tiny bit more shrilly, like there are more treble peaks from the MA900, less warm than stock pads.

Didn't try the dekoni pads though, so might or might not be the same results on the the dekoni

yea thanks i will see how it goes :) 

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,232 of 2,677
You sure it fits? I tried to fit my HM5 hybrid that i have lying around, and it just Won't Fit.. It's oval and the length just barely exceed the cups circumferences.. Unless I try stretching it till near its breaking point i just can't fit it on.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,233 of 2,677

Yea I removed it. It was never made to be there in the first place (in context of the 900) technically so it should not affect the sound since it wasn't supposed to be there. I also removed the thick ole driver cover, the super scratchy mesh over the driver. If you follow that link you will see. The dekoni memory foam pads are more square so they actually seal better. I don't think they affect the freq response, not sure they could regardless. But the mesh cover over the driver definitely soaks up some sound as it is a thick mesh lined with foam. The actual driver already has acoustic paper on it to massage the sound and I left that intact. I would not put it back to stock at this point, even though it only takes a minute to redo. I like the sound the way it is.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #2,234 of 2,677
Has anyone tried using the MDR-Z7 drivers in the MA900 open frame?

I had owned two sets of the MA900 and am listening to them now. They are very durable and still sound good.

The MDR-Z7 seems to have a fantastic driver and excellent clarity but the closed form factor and perhaps an odd bass port made the low end sound discombubulated every time I tried them.

Sony sells the drivers for about $100 each and I think the part numbers follow:

https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989605201_sm.pdf
right driver is X25905151
left driver is X25905141

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,235 of 2,677
That's an interesting question.. I wonder whether anyone'd be willing to try it out.
What happen to the 1st pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back