Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,191 of 2,677
I agree.. If you really crank it up to unsafe for hearing lvl really.. Or a particularly bass heavy part of some movie.
Man.. Feeling a bit deaf trying to test it just now.. Drums just won't make it distort.. EXPLOOSIOOONS? Yeah, few od them.

I can confirm this..just watch the first scene of transformers 4 and you get some distortion on high volume..but this happens just on some really bass heavy movie scenes.
still these headphones are the best I have ever tried.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #2,192 of 2,677

Sorry I'm not following. You're actually looking for pads for a RX700? I've owned the cans you're asking about in the past and the RX700 pads are not larger diameter than the DT990 Dekoni pads above.

Stock MA900 pads are fine, just not ideal to me, so it's nice to be aware of other options.  

And since you're talking about the big pleather Dekoni pads, the RX700 came to mind is all since the thick part of the cup makes common replacement pads not fit well.  I have 840 pads stretched to heck on mine, and they still don't reach the pad groove on the thick part of the cup.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,194 of 2,677
Hmm.. Have compared the stock pads with beyer ones.. True that outer diameter seems to match, but inner diameter, in which our ear fit into seems smaller though? Around 3 fingers on knuckle test with a bit of room to spare.

It's where I like the stock one, padding between inner-outer diameter ain't that wide so it give more space for the ear to move around.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,195 of 2,677
  ^^Put on some dekoni or similar pleather pads and the comfort jumps another bar. I'm using the dekoni's with memory foam below.

That loooks AMAZZZing!
happy_face1.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,196 of 2,677
I can confirm this..just watch the first scene of transformers 4 and you get some distortion on high volume..but this happens just on some really bass heavy movie scenes.
still these headphones are the best I have ever tried.

Thats surprising to hear. I've pushed the xb1k to quite some daring limits and the bass held together. Ofc its a different cup and i did that paper mod thing done to the 500s and 700s. removal of white backing paper and driver grill screen. I\m not saying to do it,
biggrin.gif
they are very different cans, but for the xb1k 70mm, it improved the bass quite a bit. That can has gone to insane volumes just fine with psy trance and hip hop with no problems. And I listen at very high volumes. And I believe they are made in Asia as well.

FWIW, I still think it looks like a winner., esp with pad change ^ the 1k pads made in China are also relatively good quality unlike the 500s/700s, would be awesome if someone tried on theirs. its like $30 on aliexpress :D looks more HQ

L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,197 of 2,677

That loooks AMAZZZing!
happy_face1.gif

Yea, it doesn't look out of place next to the Z7's in the background.

Stock MA900 pads are fine, just not ideal to me, so it's nice to be aware of other options. 

Stock ma900 pads are terrible. They squish down like they aren't even there. I especially hated them because the cover is very scratchy to my ears and the stock pads pushed my ears right on top of the cover. I've not only replaced the pads but removed the cover as well. If yall thought the 900s were comfy stock lol, you've no idea now.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,198 of 2,677
I don't think I'll be doing that to mine in any near future.. Esp as I don't mind the fabric material, as I said I like how it allow me to adjust the soundstage.

Question: does changing to thicker pads make the "nonexistent" clamping force tighter? If yes, can you just set the adjustment to lower position to make it back to normal?

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,199 of 2,677
I don't think I'll be doing that to mine in any near future.. Esp as I don't mind the fabric material, as I said I like how it allow me to adjust the soundstage.

Question: does changing to thicker pads make the "nonexistent" clamping force tighter? If yes, can you just set the adjustment to lower position to make it back to normal?

I'm not sure how it is on the m900, but usually when a headphone has weak clamp force, you would think fatter pads would make it tighter, but its not so cut and dry.

With thick super firm pads, it would help, but with thick super squishy foam pads not so much, but a little improvement. Because the clamp is weak it just expands little more easily.

With Philips 9500, very weak clamp force, the pads was nice but i put xb1k pads, which was comfy, but sound was more distanced. Also I had to extend the headband to max as i needed to expand and get my head in. Curious about the 900s now with those thicker pads.

This whole comfort/sound battle is unique to the individual, and you'll have to experiment one way or another. The shallow pads sometimes gives the best sound for these open airy types, but one can pad roll, and enjoy slightly different signatures for different genres. This should be taken into consideration.

One thing with the sony 70mm drivers from having one type anyway and reading about them is they have great flexibility, so its fantastic to play with.

No one said the quest is easy, but its a hella fun.

Anyway the pads above with tht 900 n z7 make them both look super nice and probably very comfy, and im glad to see 70mm beasts. Tht ma900 looks pure art with that gap, and AN OPEN SONY sounds too much fun. That Hifi528 guy said it was the ULTIMATE at home listening can, and he has like a million cans lol. I like how he's a big Sony fan as well.

biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,200 of 2,677
I don't remember what ma900s sounded like before the Dekoni's and frankly I have no interest in ever going back to stock pads to find out. MA900s fall off your head if you sneeze wrong. Do Dekoni's help the clamp force? Probably, but really to me it's not thing because the headband is easily adjustable and as mentioned it's not like these stick to your head very well in the first place.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,201 of 2,677
Ah ok.. I get the idea now.. I'd keep with the stock pads as I live in tropical area and I'm the type that sweat a lot.. I already have a pleather gone bad due to excessive accumulation (learnt to clean the pads, cup and cable with microfiber cloth everyday now). It's a given that velour last longer for that kind of abuse, so hoping I don't need to look for replacement in any near future.
Pad swapping is intriguing, but if I'm completely satisfied with my current ones (esp in comfort dept), just not gonna rush it.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,202 of 2,677
Hi everyone, i just received my new Sony Mdr Ma900, imported from japan via Amazon. However, mine sound distorted even at low volume, specially in the vocals. Has anyone have had this issue? Are they supposed to be made in Thailand? This is what is printed on the 3.5mm jack. Also could they be defective or maybe even counterfeit?

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,203 of 2,677
I just got mine imported from japan via amazon and they distort at low volume, special the vocal, something is wrong. I just emailed the seller via amazon. Now wait and see if they provide a replacement because i have many cans and there is something wrong with these. These Ma900 Beat the Phillips shp9500 in comfort and i thought that was not going to be possible.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,204 of 2,677
@Tony51 mine distorted with the bass in the beginning, still now with pad change, and possibly the driver has been used more, it doesn't do that anymore, or that much

seems to be the 60 - 65 hz in the bass, that distorts a lot

take a look at everything, if it looks like most of the details are good made,(the box, warranty card,+) its probably just the driver that needs to awake, just like one i have

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,205 of 2,677
  Hi everyone, i just received my new Sony Mdr Ma900, imported from japan via Amazon. However, mine sound distorted even at low volume, specially in the vocals. Has anyone have had this issue? Are they supposed to be made in Thailand? This is what is printed on the 3.5mm jack. Also could they be defective or maybe even counterfeit?

They are made in Thailand. The casting on the frames are pretty tricky and would be expensive to cast out of metal. Post a pic. I would let them break-in for a few hours and try again. Play some music or looped test for a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back