Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #976 of 2,677
Jan 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #977 of 2,677
Great find...at 182 thats a great price and probobly the lowest these ma900 will go. I guess i should of searched better and saved myself about 40 bucks since i bought them from amazon at 215.

Either way, this ma900 should be worth more for what they offer. Although i have not heard them yet(still waiting to receive them by mail, hopefully next week) Im sure im going to be amazed at the sound.

Plus, as soon as this sets get sold out and no longer can be found, they are going to go for a slightly more expensive price. but then those people might look at the fidelio x1 as an alternative....

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #978 of 2,677
I was wrong when I said these headphones aren't impressive for music. I like to listen to headphones without any sort of equalization or "enhancements" because that tends to distort and ruin clarity of music but oh my god, used a +6 treble boost on Fiio E17 and it changes the sound from boring to exciting. I added a +2 bass boost from the amp also so that it can still be heard with the enhanced treble but didn't want to add too much bass boost because I don't want to muddy it up or destroy the midrange.

It's crazy how much the sound changes on Sony Ma900 with just the treble boost on the E17. It is like more energetic and lively.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #984 of 2,677
Just recently received my MA900 in the mail. Compared to the HD598s that I was using for certain music/gaming, I think I'm liking the MA900 better, although it's hard to gauge only after a few days. I often read "You will never notice the difference between headphones until you go back to your old ones." In a week or two I'll try the 598 again and see how much of a difference I notice.

I kept reading about how comfy these are in this thread, and from someone who thought the 598 had mediocre comfort, I really underestimated how nice these truly are. Lightest headphones I've worn, and a practically non-existent clamp. Only problem I'm running into is having to set my PC's digital volume very low, which doesn't give me much play in switching volume between certain games/music. 1 notch in volume translates from not being able to hear something to a bad headache. I currently have a Magni, and there's no way I'd use it with this. Was thinking of a portable amp, or possibly try the o2 with their 1/2.5 gain option considering these will be at my desk  99% of the time, but for now I'll break them in a little.

And big thanks to all the people in this thread for helping me make my decision on these
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #985 of 2,677
  Just recently received my MA900 in the mail. Compared to the HD598s that I was using for certain music/gaming, I think I'm liking the MA900 better, although it's hard to gauge only after a few days. I often read "You will never notice the difference between headphones until you go back to your old ones." In a week or two I'll try the 598 again and see how much of a difference I notice.

I kept reading about how comfy these are in this thread, and from someone who thought the 598 had mediocre comfort, I really underestimated how nice these truly are. Lightest headphones I've worn, and a practically non-existent clamp. Only problem I'm running into is having to set my PC's digital volume very low, which doesn't give me much play in switching volume between certain games/music. 1 notch in volume translates from not being able to hear something to a bad headache. I currently have a Magni, and there's no way I'd use it with this. Was thinking of a portable amp, or possibly try the o2 with their 1/2.5 gain option considering these will be at my desk  99% of the time, but for now I'll break them in a little.

And big thanks to all the people in this thread for helping me make my decision on these
wink.gif

I have my E10 on low gain and the volume at 5, so I think it is a good match for the MA900.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #986 of 2,677
After nearly a week of listening it seems John Mayer sounds quite extraordinary on these headphones. I got one of the Beatles albums (revolver) and a Led Zepplin album (Mothership) and both of those are not so great because the instruments seem too divided to the left and right to me, in the Beatles album even more so. I first noticed it listening to Eleanor Rigby. His voice came in on the far right edge of the stage and just stayed there only being heard at a distance into my right ear and then came into the left and back to the far right and it just sounded so odd.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #987 of 2,677
Hey guys!

I've been off of head-fi for many years, but I'm happy to be back.

The MA900's have been my first non-iem headphone purchase in 5 years and so far I'm enjoying them.  The last pair of headphones I owned was the Grado SR325is and I feel like these sound a lot like them (but this was about 6-7 years ago).  To my ears, they sound very bright and I'm hoping that with time they mellow out a little bit.  It seems that they also have a lot less, "attack" than the old Grados and actually seems to suit me. 

So far these are miles above the 325i's, mostly because they are so damn comfortable and I can listen to them for more than 25 minutes without my ears aching (from how uncomfortable Grados are and how bright the headphones sounded).

Coming from IEM listening for the past 5-6 years (triple fi 10s, as well as my speaker set up) it's really nice to have some headphones that sound very open.

Over all, pretty happy with these, but I really hope that over the next few weeks/months that they mellow out a little as far as the highs are concerned.

-----Is anyone else using a tube amp? If so, what tubes would you recommend to maybe curb those highs?

So happy to be back, I've told my wallet that it won't have any problems because I'm not buying anything else.

Seriously, I'm not buying anything else, just these headphones.

Seriously!

- Matthew

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #988 of 2,677
I've been thinking of upgrading my mini usb that connects my Fiio E17 to my laptop. I would be upgrading from stock to either .5 ft Moon Audio Blue Dragon mini usb for $84 or the .75 m AudioQuest Cinnamon for $65. What do you guys think and how do they compare?

Both prices include tax + shipping.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #989 of 2,677
Wait, what? The MA900, bright? Am I reading that correctly?

The MA900 is dark/warm, if anything. Treble's noticeably held back, no real sparkle to it without an EQ to kick it up a notch. Mids and bass are noticeably more prominent. I'm surprised anyone considers that bright...maybe not being able to hear above 14 KHz is throwing me off.

I don't believe in amps as EQ; they need to be transparent while all intended coloration happens at the source. That is to say, EQ on the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back