Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #856 of 2,677
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #859 of 2,677
Nameless, the beauty of certain amp/dacs is that you don't HAVE to use one or the other. I mean, if you're one to constantly sell, sure, you're stuck, but with something like the Compass 2, you can use an external dac, or an external amp if you want. Chances are, if you're buying an amp/dac, you're probably not worried about upgrading after that point. I would've been more than happy to keep my Compass 2 as the only dac/amp I'd ever need at home, but I needed the money.

In fact going on towards the future, all I'd want is amp/dac all in ones. AT least with something like the Compass 2, I could still buy a tube amp or something if I wanted a change, but don't wanna give up the SS amp in it.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #862 of 2,677
Nameless, the beauty of certain amp/dacs is that you don't HAVE to use one or the other. I mean, if you're one to constantly sell, sure, you're stuck, but with something like the Compass 2, you can use an external dac, or an external amp if you want. Chances are, if you're buying an amp/dac, you're probably not worried about upgrading after that point. I would've been more than happy to keep my Compass 2 as the only dac/amp I'd ever need at home, but I needed the money.

In fact going on towards the future, all I'd want is amp/dac all in ones. AT least with something like the Compass 2, I could still buy a tube amp or something if I wanted a change, but don't wanna give up the SS amp in it.

Sounds like I'll be sending my Geek Pulse down your way sometime after I get it. Granted, my version won't be available for purchase ever once the crowdfunding campaign is done. Upgraded femto clock and opamps won't be available at retail.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #864 of 2,677
  So excited, can't wait for my pair to get here! How does Hans Zimmer sound on these headphones? This will be my first ever pair of open backs :)

I see you have the M50's. I just did a comparison between the two. listened to Rise, Time, and Davy Jones. The MA900's are of course, less base heavy, so if that's your thing, they will feel lacking.

However every other aspect of the experience is much better on the Sony's. I really like how the woman's voice comes across in Rise.

The difference is if you close your eyes, and just listen, the M50's sound like a great pair of headphones. the MA900's sound like you're sitting in front row at the symphony hall listening to an orchestra. I expect you will love them :)

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #865 of 2,677
Yea, I love the M50s. I knew they were great but yesterday my cousin let me listen to his Beats wireless which he said cost him $280 and I was seriously confused why they cost so much. He had it hooked up to the wire and said it sounds better with bluetooth but headphones were dead atm. Beats wireless hooked up via wire sounded so atrocious to me after listening to M50s. He put some rap song on and you could barely even hear the guy rapping, all you could hear was a bunch of badly distorted bass, sounded like I was listening to a subwoofer underwater.

I read every review available for ma900 so yea, I am prepared for less bass and if I really am craving bass (mainly sub bass from the sounds of reviews) then I'll just hook up my M50s. I do adore the M50 sound sig but I can definately understand why the bass on them is overwhelming to some especially after burn in, these things are basshead status in my book.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #866 of 2,677
I think the X1 are better suited to those coming from M50s. Doesn't give up a lot of the bass, brings up the mids, and shaves off some of the treble, while remaining energetic. All in an open form.

The MA900 is almost polar opposite to the M50 and a stark contrast to it.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #867 of 2,677
I think the X1 are better suited to those coming from M50s. Doesn't give up a lot of the bass, brings up the mids, and shaves off some of the treble, while remaining energetic. All in an open form.

The MA900 is almost polar opposite to the M50 and a stark contrast to it.

Well these two headphones are going to compliment each other so polar opposite works for me. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #868 of 2,677
The whole out of your head speaker like soundstaging thing everyone talks about, do you need surround sound processing or binaural recording to hear that? Sorry, never had an open back before so I don't know and I would hope I can at least get somewhat of the effect without needing extra equipment/software or special binaural recordings.

I plan to eventually get an extrernal surround processor/sound card for my ma900 anyways but not right away as I don't have money for it atm so also if anyone can recommend a cheap external surround processor or sound card that works well with ma900? 

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #869 of 2,677
  The whole out of your head speaker like soundstaging thing everyone talks about, do you need surround sound processing or binaural recording to hear that? Sorry, never had an open back before so I don't know and I would hope I can at least get somewhat of the effect without needing extra equipment/software or special binaural recordings.

I plan to eventually get an extrernal surround processor/sound card for my ma900 anyways but not right away as I don't have money for it atm so also if anyone can recommend a cheap external surround processor or sound card that works well with ma900? 

You don't need any special recordings, however the type of music you listen too will matter. If you listen to top 40 stuff, there is not much sound stage anyway. If you listen to an orchestra, the high quality 320k files that are on Google Music Play will work.

Of course, as you get better recordings and better dac/amps, this effect is magnified, but with just a computer, you will notice a difference.

Oh, and no surround sound processing.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #870 of 2,677
Alright thanks, although I'm still interested in finding the cheapest possible surround sound processor/software/external sound card, or whatever for when I watch movies and/or play FPS games.

Any recommendations of anything that is cheap + works really well? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back