Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #842 of 2,677
Anyone here driving them with an o2 by the way? It could just be the matching that I am having a problem with. Maybe the o2 totally sucks with 12 ohms.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #843 of 2,677
  Anyone here driving them with an o2 by the way? It could just be the matching that I am having a problem with. Maybe the o2 totally sucks with 12 ohms.

No, but from what I gather the O2 sounds identical to the Magni and I thought the Magni somewhat sucked for the MA900 and all my other headphones except my Senn HD 555.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #846 of 2,677

No, but from what I gather the O2 sounds identical to the Magni and I thought the Magni somewhat sucked for the MA900 and all my other headphones except my Senn HD 555.

I really hope its just the amp not matching well with the cans. I hope these aren't defective. It would be weird if it was defective though because both drivers behave the same way. Defective cans are usually broken on one side and not both at the same time :D

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #847 of 2,677
  I really hope its just the amp not matching well with the cans. I hope these aren't defective. It would be weird if it was defective though because both drivers behave the same way. Defective cans are usually broken on one side and not both at the same time :D

Let's hope it's synergy because that's what I'm thinking it is as I experienced bad synergy with the headphone on the Magni. I originally had the MA900 on the Magni and I bought a new amp because of bad synergy with the MA900, going to the EF2A fixed the main problems I had with the MA900s sound on the Magni. The MA900 sounded veiled and incoherent in the bass and lower midrange at times, somewhat brash and glary in the upper midrange and lower highs, and it distorted quicker on the Magni.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #849 of 2,677
I love the sound signature of the ma900 so much more. Mids are more forward/less hollow, highs are very smooth yet extended, but the bass on the dt880 is better since it doesn't distort. Now that last issue has been something only I have been complaining about so far so it may be an amp issue that I cannot confirm yet. Kman1211 has commented about the amping a few posts above though.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #850 of 2,677
Just wanna chime in and say I prefer the MA900 on the E17 than on the more neutral Compass 2 and Asgard 2. It sounds more engaging with the E17. All about synergy.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #851 of 2,677
  Hey guys,
How are these compared to the DT880 Pro (250Ohm) in signature?

Thanks!

The DT 880 Pro sound signature heavily depends on the system it is hooked up to, on some systems they sound hollow in the mids, the only fix I've heard to the hollow mids of the DT 880 and many other Beyers were tubes. The MA900 has a more forward and full midrange with more prominent mid to upper-bass, it's on the darker side with a wider and bigger soundstage. I consider the MA900 more musical. The DT 880 is basically grain-free until you get to the upper treble where there is a large spike which can make it a bit harsh and bright, on many systems it can sound clinical and lifeless due to the very smooth and slightly recessed sounding mids and the emphasized upper treble. The bass is where the DT 880 shines, well extended, good impact, neutral, and very hard to distort.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #853 of 2,677
  Oh, I have ordered the Aune T1.
Can you recommend a tube for the MA900? and a tube recommendation for the DT880?

I don't have much experience in tube rolling and I don't have much of an idea of what tubes sound like what on a particular amp. There is a huge variety of tubes and types of tubes which makes it hard to figure something like that out. There may be forum topics on tube rolling on the Aune T1 which may of be of some help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back