Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #2,386 of 2,677
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,387 of 2,677
It's almost the end of 2017. They've been discontinued for awhile now. Even Sony JP doesn't have the "add to card" button on their site listing. The option has been gone since near the beginning of this year IIRC.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #2,388 of 2,677
Indeed it's been discontinued for a while. I've been looking out for one for a friend who helped me with the resistor mod, but I was surprised to learn the prices have been skyrocketing to $400-500 due to their rarity.

As for the VGP award, my Japanese is a little rusty but from what I can gather, it's just a consumer electronics guide, and it was their winning pick for the category of "open, over-ear headphone between 10k-30k yen (roughly $100-300)". Not sure how that came to be, they probably still had some circulating supply in the Japanese domestic market at the time.

Nov 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,393 of 2,677
Just had a lucky opportunity to try out a couple headphones from Sennheiser in a small headphone meet, in which I manage to do demo of the HD800S on 2 separate occassions, one in a bit busy room 2nd was in much quieter room.

With the conclusion I come up as: Is it wrong if I think the HD 800S to be a good upgrade from the MA900? It contains many points the Sony has and expand on it, ie comfort, weight, big soundstage, smooth, natural non fatiguing sound (at least compared to non s ver), etc etc with improvement on detail is just absurd (though i know its not something we look from the sony), with precise separation in it as well, what's also special is how effortless it sounds as well, feels like i can crank up the volume and the driver wouldn't even sweat.

I really didnt expect this at all from long time reading impression of the HD800.
From other headphone I've tried like R70x, HD600, Elear, even Amiron Home, which I thought would be it, didn't make me feel settled this easily. It actually is very musical.

Only the HD800S is the one that I dont need to adjust the sound coming from the Sony while immediately feeling the improvements and are actually find it hard to find negative from upgrading onto (and I love my MA900 to bits)

Maybe the Edition X or HE1000 can be it also, but as of right now I havent had the opportunity to try them yet so for now..
I think I just found my Open Back target.

Edited for paragraoh spacing

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,394 of 2,677
dang i seems to always post long paragraphs here...
Also, the Sony got some curious look as not many know of it, some love it, some thinks its just alright for the price.
It really has the stealthy killer look tho, not many would try it out If i don't first urge them to.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,395 of 2,677
dang i seems to always post long paragraphs here...
Also, the Sony got some curious look as not many know of it, some love it, some thinks its just alright for the price.
It really has the stealthy killer look tho, not many would try it out If i don't first urge them to.

Mine were given to me at a headphone shop by a former JBL/Sony engineer who now owns a headgear shop. He was using a Woo firefly and HD800

jp2TufD.jpg

It was for display purposes.

Popular combo at the time.

He thought that Sony 900 was one of the better thing his former company had ever produced. It was Christmas time. He was proud of the piece of gear, this guy who owned a shop FULL of gear I told this story before in this thread.

It took 2 years for me to really listen to them. Then I understood. then i got it recabled.

Alright for the price?

I don't even review open backs anymore and took that dudes advice and had the cable re done

20171002_100945_001.jpg

ma5.png

Alright??

$50 IEM that don't break or sound like total crap are alright. These are classics.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,396 of 2,677
haha yeah, i piece it more on people's taste can be quite different, also the star of the fullsize in the meet was the HD800S and 600, among them also HE400i and a couple of modded Grados, so it's clear preference is quite varied between the participants.
Also, I watched you videos years ago, it was one of the few that push me to bought mine, thanks :)

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,398 of 2,677
The MA900s will sound a lot better with some mods :)
Care to elaborate? I tried various pads and they changed the sound but IMO, not for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back