Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,371 of 2,677
Your best bet is e-bay. Amazon (both US and JP for what I've checked) and Rakuten either no longer have listings or have listings that are marked up extremely high ($300+).

I just got a pair on e-bay last week for $200 that had 5 hours on it. There was a $260 pair that came with Dekoni Sheepskin earpads for the DT headphones (they fit on the MA900 as mentioned in this thread) as well but that seems to be gone now. The rest of the listings on e-bay are also marked up.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,373 of 2,677
may I ask whether the MA900 has Crossfeed built in? I just tried doing test tones from http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php and I can hear the other channel while only wearing one side of the headphone.
Funny thing is, I find my Final Audio heaven II also do that, my other IEM and Headphone doesn't.

Edit: K702 don't, but my M40x also does it... Hrmm~ I'm starting to think it's poorly separated Channel QC...
I don't have any double sided cable fullsize, but even then, why does a final IEM do it?
AT's E40 (IEM) is almost silent, can hear a tiny bit of the other side. (much newer model example)
So... I don't think its a "feature" of the MA900.
all three is Japanese and an older model if that explain anything

E40 is easily negligible, while Final, MA900 and M40x is quite apparent, the Final is the strongest, in that order.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,374 of 2,677

Had an idea so I used what I had on hand to enjoy my Ma-900's fitment a thousand times more.

Yeah its my over three years old Siberia V2 headset that I sacrificed for a worthy cause.

I know a black headset would have looked nicer but oh well I used what I had when the idea came about and besides I did not have to spend more money this mod..

A dremel, some scotch tape and plastic epoxy and now I have a very snug and comfortable headset that does
not keep sliding around my on my head..

Anyone else do this headband mod? It looks incredibly similar to the mdr-f1 which is awesome possum,and also the possibility of the beyer velour as well. :D

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,375 of 2,677
Oh? Does Beyer velour fits these?
On another jote, Just trie installing my Hybrid Brainwavz on the MA, and the change isnt drastic, 1st is increased quantity and bass impact, kinda the first time I hear the bass lens actually doing something, 2nd and its less positive, it makes the headphone less open, more "enclosed" feeling, i dont think soundstage is affected much, and it does has a sliver better isolation, but this semi open-like feel, Im not sure whether its good or not.. Less natural sounding with a touch feel of echo-ey sound to it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,376 of 2,677
Oh? Does Beyer velour fits these?
On another jote, Just trie installing my Hybrid Brainwavz on the MA, and the change isnt drastic, 1st is increased quantity and bass impact, kinda the first time I hear the bass lens actually doing something, 2nd and its less positive, it makes the headphone less open, more "enclosed" feeling, i dont think soundstage is affected much, and it does has a sliver better isolation, but this semi open-like feel, Im not sure whether its good or not.. Less natural sounding with a touch feel of echo-ey sound to it.
8201929_thumb.jpg

Those look like the 990v to me. And I'm guessing from the info i gathered its a SIberia v2 black version. The pic was on this thread before (post #1982). Anyway, it seems this mod is for those losing their minds of the moving headband of the ma900 stock. And I am a fan of the mdr-f1. Sony man... SONY! :D

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,377 of 2,677
holy, I just realized that it really is the MA900 on both of those... man~ I wouldn't dare to do such mods to mine right now, maybe a couple years down the line, when something's broken then that can be an option for me (as that need to drill in the headphone to make it to double sided and not single sided anymore too), right now, I'm perfectly happy with the headband of the MA900, it's comfortable and should last me a long time

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #2,378 of 2,677
holy, I just realized that it really is the MA900 on both of those... man~ I wouldn't dare to do such mods to mine right now, maybe a couple years down the line, when something's broken then that can be an option for me (as that need to drill in the headphone to make it to double sided and not single sided anymore too), right now, I'm perfectly happy with the headband of the MA900, it's comfortable and should last me a long time

Its a pretty hardcore mod. But someone had the guts to try it. And now we store it in our brains for down the road :p
It's really one of the cooler ones i've seen. But again, that's because i think the f1 looks so cool.
This mod overall makes it look ever so similar, so i have to give props to the original person who did it :D

Also the Siberia looks like it ripped Sony's past designs a bit. Kinda monoprice'ish :p
26-249-035-10.jpg

9888166.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #2,379 of 2,677
may I ask whether the MA900 has Crossfeed built in? I just tried doing test tones from http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php and I can hear the other channel while only wearing one side of the headphone.
Yes they do. I've done measurements to show this:
Sony MA-900 L R and crossfeed.png

The uneven nature is just distortion from the AC. It's not actually there.

Also, I tried various mods to improve them including a number of pad changes, trying to close off the back and rear ear space etc. They usually increased mid bass but not sub bass and made the sound stage to closed and added too much decay. These are my favorite headphones for listening in bed as I can lay on my pillow and my ears slip nicely into the back slots so the headphones just sit effortlessly with no pressure on my ears or head.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2,380 of 2,677
Yes they do. I've done measurements to show this:

The uneven nature is just distortion from the AC. It's not actually there.

Also, I tried various mods to improve them including a number of pad changes, trying to close off the back and rear ear space etc. They usually increased mid bass but not sub bass and made the sound stage to closed and added too much decay. These are my favorite headphones for listening in bed as I can lay on my pillow and my ears slip nicely into the back slots so the headphones just sit effortlessly with no pressure on my ears or head.
Thanks for doing that test, now what makes me wonder is why a couple of Audio Technica "Studio Monitoring" Headphone also also have a bit of leak to the other side of the cups.
Also, it should be gone when someone mod them to be double sided cable right?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,381 of 2,677
Yes, you would bypass the on board circuitry and wire directly to each driver. Personally I wouldn't as I like what they do stock. They are such a unique headphone.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,382 of 2,677
these 7cm goosebumps inducers are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back