Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #2,116 of 2,677
how bout now in 2016, MA900 or MDR1A? i assume the ma900 has better comfort, but does the ma900 have better sound quality too? 

I had the MDR1a for a brief time and still have the MA900. The latter is better if only because the wider soundstage (of course because it's open). The MA900 also has a nice bass punch for being an open backed headphone. Really surprised me how good the bass is. The MDR1a is actually more comfortable in my opinion because of the soft ear pads. The bass is boomier but still has good mid-range.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,117 of 2,677
  My second-hand HRT Microstreamer arrived today. Been testing it all afternoon with the MA900's. It's very impressive for such a tiny little device. Gives me heaps of power with no sacrifice to sound clarity. It gives me way more power than I really need. I basically had to put my PC's volume down to about 20-30% because it's so damned loud. 
biggrin.gif

Now I'm no audiophile but my first impressions are that the Microstreamer seems to have tightened up the bass response slightly and brought the treble out a bit more. The headphones sound a bit punchier with the HRT as opposed to other devices I've been trying out. (PC onboard audio and Samsung Galaxy 5)

The soundstage is well represented by the Microstreamer. There's a lot of depth and different layers to the music. I really like how detailed the sound is. I've been testing them with songs like Depeche Mode's - People are People & Riders on the Storm by the Doors. I love being able to clearly identify where the sounds are coming from and the imaging is pretty great for a headphone in this price range.

The positional cues are amazing for gaming too. Now that I have more volume I can clearly hear my opponents flanking me or trying to sneak up from behind. The Realtek onboard audio in my PC was just too damned quiet. The HRT absolutely kills my onboard audio.

If I had one criticism it would be that the HRT can makes lower quality music files sound a little harsh at really high volume. It's not really an issue for me though as I changed my music catalogue over from Mp3's to lossless audio a while back.

All in all a fantastic recommendation. Well worth the price.

Glad you liked the combo! As for me, I just added Meier Corda ROCK amplified between MA900 and mS, and the sound got even better! Much more details, more natural, rich and dynamic. So, MA900 does benefit from some extra power, although this should be the amp that works fine for low-impedance headphones.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,118 of 2,677
I am happy to see that the ma900 still has such a good fan club. I am treble sensitive with comfort issues so I'm hoping the ma900 will work out good for me. I was going to get the sennheiser ie80, but in my head iems are inferior so I want to at least give the ma900s a try. Hoping they go good with my o2odac. Please keep this thread active! So If I like the ma900 I should put dekoni pads on them? Is it hard to change the ear pads?

I like how the ma900s have 70mm drivers :) and are open and should be very comfortable:)

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,121 of 2,677
Are these the ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Standard-Replacement-Beyerdynamic/dp/B019QXEXVI

Those should work but are not the ones I used. The ones you linked look more rounded like the original beyer pads and not thicker like the memory foam.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QXEZHK/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663121/sony-mdr-ma900-impressions-thread/2070#post_12530942

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,123 of 2,677
I am happy to see that the ma900 still has such a good fan club. I am treble sensitive with comfort issues so I'm hoping the ma900 will work out good for me. I was going to get the sennheiser ie80, but in my head iems are inferior so I want to at least give the ma900s a try. Hoping they go good with my o2odac. Please keep this thread active!

They are more on the warm and dark side, so no treble issues at all. Great for long listening sessions!

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,124 of 2,677
I have to say that the MA900 + Resonessence Labs Concero HP is ONE of the best combos I have heard. They complement each other perfectly.

For those of you diehard MA900 fans, try them out of the Concero HP and see what this combo is capable of :wink:   They sound really good out of the iDSD as well.

I am surprised how well the MA900 scales with gear. Long Live the Comfort King 
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2,126 of 2,677
Guys am in the UK and cant get hold of the Dekoni Audio Memory Foam pads here without importing.

Would these be as good?

Or if anyone would be kind enough to check out amazon.co.uk for me and link some.

Love these cans so so much.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #2,127 of 2,677
Guys am in the UK and cant get hold of the Dekoni Audio Memory Foam pads here without importing.

Would these be as good?

Or if anyone would be kind enough to check out amazon.co.uk for me and link some.

Love these cans so so much.

I use Brainwavz Angled Velours on mine. Not too fussy about cables or pads changing the sound, so it works out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back