Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,101 of 2,677

Those are from my sz1000 which I switched. The ma900 pads are like the stock Beyer T1...not comfy or isolating. I saw this thread last week and decided to go for it......LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT

nice, later if you get a chance mind showing some pics about how the pads fit on? Like how is the depth? :)  I am gonna see if I can source similar pads. I am not a fan of the stock pads either, the texture just rubs me the wrong way...literally. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,102 of 2,677
  Oh man, a few minutes ago after writing the above, the Dekoni pads came. Thank you to Amazon sameday and USPS Sunday deliveries!

It feels like wearing the MDR-Z7s now, but without the hot ears the or downsides of the complicated 'ness of the Z7. The Dekoni pads deform to the shape of my head. The internal dimension is larger than the stock 990 pads. So far, I think this is it for earpads on the MA900s, for me at least. Check out the pics. Hmm... I think that since my ears are most definitely never touching the driver again, that I can replace the thick padded driver cover with something more acoustically transparent. I've got plenty of grill mesh laying around...

Oops forgot one more pic with the Dekoni mesh removed.

Are they like these pads, mentioned earlier in the thread, @Hawaiibadboy ??  I really like the look of these.  Can you or anyone else compare these with the SZ1000 pads?  Can I buy the JVC pads separately?

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,106 of 2,677
  Anyone frequently get their hair caught on the adjustment sliders? I keep a short buzz cut, never experienced anything like this on other cans.

I get that too sometimes. I found it was from adjusting the headband while wearing it. Cut a strip of tape to cover the ratcheting head band on the inside (on each side). I used blue painters tape but had been meaning to switch to black tape or electrical tape because blue just clashes.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,110 of 2,677
  Just a heads up. Was able to get hold of a second hand HRT Microstreamer for $165 AUD. This seems like an okay price considering a new one would have cost me $260 AUD.

I look forward to testing it out. 

You will not be disappointed, I guarantee 
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,111 of 2,677

I cut the mesh out also.
Much more comfy and makes it sound fuller and bass seems a tad more robust.
Love it. If you have the sz1k the pads will fit but lots of after market pads should work.

Just watched your bass kings video, nice to see the ma900 on there. Have you tried the dekoni pads yet by any chance? I think I am gonna pick up a pair of aftermarket pads but I am deciding between the ones you are using (JVC) vs the dekoni ones.

And spot with the comment about that dude with the pervy wall papers... makes me cringe so hard how he's proudly showing it off in each video lol. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,112 of 2,677

Just watched your bass kings video, nice to see the ma900 on there. Have you tried the dekoni pads yet by any chance? I think I am gonna pick up a pair of aftermarket pads but I am deciding between the ones you are using (JVC) vs the dekoni ones.

And spot with the comment about that dude with the pervy wall papers... makes me cringe so hard how he's proudly showing it off in each video lol. 

Thanks...it was "3 kings"...just so nobody thinks I was claiming the ma900 are bass kings
tongue.gif

They are my current favorite. Very large driver and wide open design and super light weight are and awesome combo. Love em!

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,114 of 2,677
My second-hand HRT Microstreamer arrived today. Been testing it all afternoon with the MA900's. It's very impressive for such a tiny little device. Gives me heaps of power with no sacrifice to sound clarity. It gives me way more power than I really need. I basically had to put my PC's volume down to about 20-30% because it's so damned loud. 
biggrin.gif

Now I'm no audiophile but my first impressions are that the Microstreamer seems to have tightened up the bass response slightly and brought the treble out a bit more. The headphones sound a bit punchier with the HRT as opposed to other devices I've been trying out. (PC onboard audio and Samsung Galaxy 5)

The soundstage is well represented by the Microstreamer. There's a lot of depth and different layers to the music. I really like how detailed the sound is. I've been testing them with songs like Depeche Mode's - People are People & Riders on the Storm by the Doors. I love being able to clearly identify where the sounds are coming from and the imaging is pretty great for a headphone in this price range.

The positional cues are amazing for gaming too. Now that I have more volume I can clearly hear my opponents flanking me or trying to sneak up from behind. The Realtek onboard audio in my PC was just too damned quiet. The HRT absolutely kills my onboard audio.

If I had one criticism it would be that the HRT can makes lower quality music files sound a little harsh at really high volume. It's not really an issue for me though as I changed my music catalogue over from Mp3's to lossless audio a while back.

All in all a fantastic recommendation. Well worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back