Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,861 of 2,677
Hey, thanks guys for an idea to change pads. I've just bought brand-new MA900 (for ~$100 so I guess it's best bang for the buck) and put my old DT990's pads on them. The comfort is much better, sound didn't really change.

The biggest cons for me:
- a bit more heat
- looks worse :p

Now I need to find the way to change headband and "lock" the adjustments and then they will be the best home headphones for the price :D  

Where did you get yours? I'm looking for a brand new pair also for cheaper price.

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,862 of 2,677
Where did you get yours? I'm looking for a brand new pair also for cheaper price.

For MA900, I used my old pair of DT990 pads.
And here I bought new pads - http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt990_ersatzohrpolster.htm

That was the lowest price I found. But I'm not sure how's shipping - should be OK for most EU countries, but I don't know about the shipping price. My shipping was free because I bought them on group order :) Check for your country here - http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html

If not, try to contact Beyerdynamic's distributor for your country - they might offer you a good price if you ask kindly 
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,864 of 2,677
Has anyone tried these with the Cayin c5 and how is it if so?

Edit: These are truly fantastic. I am a basshead and came from a huge bass cannon headphone but got these because I also listen to a lot of music that would be more enjoyable with more clarity and a large soundstage. I was expecting to possibly not like these because of how bass light open phones are in general are supposed to be, I was scared that the sound would not be very rich. Immediately my fears were put to rest after putting these on (no amp yet) the bass is there when needed and it's present enough to give the songs body.

Brain burn in is a thing for sure. As my brain is getting used to the different presentation of an open phone they're becoming so enjoyable. It feels like the singers are singing in front of you or just over to the left or right depending on the recording and the instruments are coming in from all different positions. Love it. I can imagine never wanting to go back to a closed can once used to it.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #1,865 of 2,677
Guys i just bought the ma900 recently since the shop near my house is having discount clearance sale. Can someone help me to choose an amp or dac to improve the SQ? I heard amp will make the SQ better.

My budget is below $100 though..

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,866 of 2,677
It is of my opinion that these don't really need amping... And I've got a few lying around to use as well, I just choose not to because difference IMO are too miniscule. I personally just plug it straight into my macbook air's headphone out and enjoy a relaxing (yet still exciting enough and not sterile) listen every now and then. These have an impedance compensator built in which theoretically makes difference between the amps even less so compared to other conventional headphones. So unless you just happen to have a headphone out/onboard DAC that is just too noisy or troublesome, I wouldn't bother if you are tight on cash.

Perhaps get something on the cheap end like a E10K or a Objective 2... but IMO these really don't need anything more than that, if at all. The E10K in particular, at least has a Bass boost feature that WILL make a obvious difference that one may possibly enjoy so perhaps go with that if you want to experience different sound out of the amp (though MA900's already have a mid bass boost so IMO it is not required)

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,867 of 2,677
Guys i just bought the ma900 recently since the shop near my house is having discount clearance sale. Can someone help me to choose an amp or dac to improve the SQ? I heard amp will make the SQ better.

My budget is below $100 though..

What are you currently playing them out of?

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,869 of 2,677
  If I buy these from a seller in Japan, would they be under warranty?

Sure, but only over at Japan. You wouldn't be able to claim the warranty with Sony America, for example.

I recall with some Japanese import service sites like PriceJapan that sells Stax (I don't think they sell the Sonys), you are able to work out the warranty stuff with their help (though it can be costly/take a long time).  

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,871 of 2,677
I'd save time and money and get a pair here on classifieds. you can easily find an excellent deal here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759570/sony-ma900-mint-final-price-drop

Hey thanks for the plug :) they're just sitting on my desk unused. I like them just fine, but I can't seem to get my T90 off my head.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,872 of 2,677
If anyone can be trusted it's Ccasper. I've bought from him before and everything he has is top notch. He doesn't have anything that isn't great and 
like new condition. If I didn't just buy a pair of these for a lot more than that,  I would buy these myself. Do it, you won't regret it...  

Charlie   ♫

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,875 of 2,677
Personally, the only headphones I find as comfortable as the MA900 are the Bose AE2/Soundtrue (which don't really sound good enough for critical listening) and Audio Technica AD700 (which actually don't fit too well for some people with smaller heads, and sound inferior overall vs. MA900).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back