Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,846 of 2,677
  haha no lol i meant the album you posted, the distortion video is obviously distorted
biggrin.gif

It might be that  what i'm complaining about is what other people described as 'grain'.

It's like: 
Track starts with a kick - fine.
Kick + Bass-line + percussion - still ok
Kick + Bass-line + percussion + pads + synths = baseline and some of the kick are not so smooth anymore, like someone connected it to a guitar amp and turned up the overdrive knob.

Now i'm debating if to post them up for sale or continue to burn them in...

I've had my pair for a long time, the bass never stopped distorting when the headphone is pushed, becomes painfully obvious compared to other headphones. The MA900 is quite a grainy headphone sadly. They seem to sound their best on lower-powered devices. Amplification(particularly tubes) with them has been a mixed bag for me.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #1,848 of 2,677
I've had my pair for a long time, the bass never stopped distorting when the headphone is pushed, becomes painfully obvious compared to other headphones. The MA900 is quite a grainy headphone sadly. They seem to sound their best on lower-powered devices. Amplification(particularly tubes) with them has been a mixed bag for me.

is it even proper to plug in a 12 ohm headphone to tube amps that have a 10 ohm output impedance...?
there's a big chance that i'm wrong, but that might be the reason it distorts...
amps output impedance times 8 or something..

i don't know though. maybe i'm wrong.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,850 of 2,677
lol the research continues...

My newest finding: these headphones don't always necessarily "distort" , they have a larger than usual range of Gritty\Dirty sound<*-*-*-*-*-*-*->smooth\silky sound - especially on basslines.

Just went over a complete bass library on a "Nexus" synth, My D2000 makes everything sound so smooth and lush, the MA900 on the other hand shows every color on the rainbow throughout the sounds in the library: some sounds are smooth,some are gritty,some are 'nasty' etc.

Interesting stuff.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,851 of 2,677

is it even proper to plug in a 12 ohm headphone to tube amps that have a 10 ohm output impedance...?
there's a big chance that i'm wrong, but that might be the reason it distorts...

The MA900 do have an impedence compensator built in, which in theory should make output impedence of amps moot FWIR.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,852 of 2,677
Has anyone removed the padding over the driver yet? I'm curious what purpose it serves. My friend casper said the ma900's sounded a little like his beyers except sounded muffled like there was a sweater over the drivers. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,853 of 2,677
Has anyone removed the padding over the driver yet? I'm curious what purpose it serves. My friend casper said the ma900's sounded a little like his beyers except sounded muffled like there was a sweater over the drivers. 

I'd assume the driver covering was put in to prevent any dust from entering the driver. As they have that open space in the rear end of the cup I've noticed they're more prone to collecting dust inside the cups compared to other headphones. I keep them inside a plastic box when not using to prevent any dust build up.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,854 of 2,677

The problem isn't output impedance as all the amps I tried it on have low output impedance. My current amp the Lyr 2 has 0.3 ohm output impedance on low-gain, so it easily follows the 8 times rule. It is more likely too much current could be causing them to distort on the amps I tried them on.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,855 of 2,677
I'd assume the driver covering was put in to prevent any dust from entering the driver. As they have that open space in the rear end of the cup I've noticed they're more prone to collecting dust inside the cups compared to other headphones. I keep them inside a plastic box when not using to prevent any dust build up.

I am gonna try and remove it and put something in its place. My hope is the sound will be less muffled. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,856 of 2,677
Just a note that these headphones seem very prone to dust/hair build up into the earcup and even possibly into the drivers... The other day I noticed that my MA900 started to distort and "rattle" on certain bass notes, so i sort of shook and blew softly into the driver covering hoping that it was a hair/dust problem and thankfully it seems like that it was... Because the problem went away after that. I guess with this being such an open design they're much more prone to these problems, even with that complete fabric driver covering.

So for anyone hearing distortions or rattle, don't panic, and first try blowing softly into the driver/give headphones a slight shake... It may be just a hair/bigger dust piece caught in there.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,857 of 2,677
I bought these new ear pads off ebay and are definitely more comfortable than the originals but a little small, they barely fit around my ears so I will probably buy original dt990 ear pads instead. Could someone measure those silver dt990 inner diameter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10cm-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Earpads-Cushion-for-Beyerdynamic-DT990-DT770-DT880-NEW-/171675607051?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Headphones_Earphones&hash=item27f8a9e00b

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,858 of 2,677
  I bought these new ear pads off ebay and are definitely more comfortable than the originals but a little small, they barely fit around my ears so I will probably buy original dt990 ear pads instead. Could someone measure those silver dt990 inner diameter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10cm-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Earpads-Cushion-for-Beyerdynamic-DT990-DT770-DT880-NEW-/171675607051?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Headphones_Earphones&hash=item27f8a9e00b

How do they sound?

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,860 of 2,677
Hey, thanks guys for an idea to change pads. I've just bought brand-new MA900 (for ~$100 so I guess it's best bang for the buck) and put my old DT990's pads on them. The comfort is much better, sound didn't really change.

The biggest cons for me:
- a bit more heat
- looks worse 
tongue.gif

Now I need to find the way to change headband and "lock" the adjustments and then they will be the best home headphones for the price 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back