Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,756 of 2,677
You do realize you're going to ruin the MA900 sound by changing pads, right?

Sometimes stuff is not even worth saying but since you said what I thought.....the member better consider the unique sonic properties are related to the whole set. Change one thing and you make another thing. Since they weigh less than a baby mouse and have nice mids and epic soundstage why mess with it??

Get another set to get better______

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,757 of 2,677
Specifically for ma-900, i have to agree. i don't think anything about it is designed to be changeable.

ma-900 is actually a great technical achievement by Sony.
i think the more i own them the more i appreciate what they do best, ultimate comfort and non-fatiguing long-hours listening experience.
The box (at least the japan version box), didn't even market itself as an audiophile / high-resolution headphone doesn't it?
It said "ultimate comfort headphone" or something like that...

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #1,760 of 2,677
  These are currently my favourite headphones and have been for the last three weeks since they arrived.  They just 'open up' recordings for me in a way my other cans don't.  Is it time to sell everything off?!  Not quite yet..

I just saw a pair of these MA900s (only used once, still boxed) on ebay for £124.95
I have the HD598s and have really grown to love their sound in every way over the few weeks I've had them - I use them on my ipod classic with a Topping nx1 amp, or on my Cambridge Azur 640A amp to play CDs
My question is; what exactly are the differences I am likely to notice between the MA900 and the HD598 (soundstage, signature etc)?
I listen to all genres of classical and a fair bit of jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Mingus)
As you have both hps, it would be nice to have your valuable opinion - I don't want to buy another hp which is essentially too close to my HD598!

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,761 of 2,677

These are currently my favourite headphones and have been for the last three weeks since they arrived.  They just 'open up' recordings for me in a way my other cans don't.  Is it time to sell everything off?!  Not quite yet..

I just saw a pair of these MA900s (only used once, still boxed) on ebay for £124.95
I have the HD598s and have really grown to love their sound in every way over the few weeks I've had them - I use them on my ipod classic with a Topping nx1 amp, or on my Cambridge Azur 640A amp to play CDs
My question is; what exactly are the differences I am likely to notice between the MA900 and the HD598 (soundstage, signature etc)?
I listen to all genres of classical and a fair bit of jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Mingus)
As you have both hps, it would be nice to have your valuable opinion - I don't want to buy another hp which is essentially too close to my HD598!

I have no doubt you will love the MA900s coming from the HD598s and given your musical interests.  They have a surprising soundstage that separates elements of the music in a very interesting yet still cohesive way.  The HD598 have a certain colour to them and that slightly 'boxy' mid sound is gone with the MA900s.  The Sonys are also faster and more open sounding and easier to drive.  I will stll keep both.  I think the MA900 are a better headphone, but I love the luscious and liquid quality of the 598s that I don't get with any of my other cans.  The MA900s are a sharper, faster delivery, more exciting and snappy, wider soundstage but they leak sound more than any other can I own.  In fact, you can have a full conversation with someone in the room with them on as their open air nature does nothing to isolate either way.  A unique design.  They are also extremely light and may even fall off your head if you headbang with them on!  So, not very suited to outdoor/portable use.  But, if you want an eyeopening sound that's exciting and very 'present' with a GREAT soundstage and speed, then get them!  I'm sure you won't regret it and they compliment the 598s really well.  Good luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,762 of 2,677
Thanks for that very helpful reply! I was very relieved to read it as I had just bought the MA900s on ebay and was wondering whether they would be a bit too similar to my HD598s!
Like you, I really appreciate the 598s' lush and soothing sound, they are relaxing while still giving plenty of insight and balance with a fair amount of detail
I recently tried out a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) and even after a few days of burn-in I just didn't like the overwhelming bass - the allegedly stinging treble wasn't a problem for me at all, full of nice detail and quite exciting. The clincher for me was the very recessed midrange, it really was very much in the background with too much foreground bass; also, I realised that I would probably end up having to buy a much better amp, so back they went to amazon. The DT990 soundstage was very similar to the 598 and was excellent with various recordings of Bartok's string quartets, but disappointing with full orchestral recordings. I thought about the DT880s as they are more neutral than the 990, but they were a bit too expensive
So, I look forward to listening on the MA900s - from your comparison I'm thinking MA900 Mravinsky, HD598 Karajan?
By the way, which orchestra do you play trumpet in?
Thanks again for your encouraging and insightful posts on this fascinating thread
Have a good week!

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,763 of 2,677
  Thanks for that very helpful reply! I was very relieved to read it as I had just bought the MA900s on ebay and was wondering whether they would be a bit too similar to my HD598s!
Like you, I really appreciate the 598s' lush and soothing sound, they are relaxing while still giving plenty of insight and balance with a fair amount of detail
I recently tried out a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) and even after a few days of burn-in I just didn't like the overwhelming bass - the allegedly stinging treble wasn't a problem for me at all, full of nice detail and quite exciting. The clincher for me was the very recessed midrange, it really was very much in the background with too much foreground bass; also, I realised that I would probably end up having to buy a much better amp, so back they went to amazon. The DT990 soundstage was very similar to the 598 and was excellent with various recordings of Bartok's string quartets, but disappointing with full orchestral recordings. I thought about the DT880s as they are more neutral than the 990, but they were a bit too expensive
So, I look forward to listening on the MA900s - from your comparison I'm thinking MA900 Mravinsky, HD598 Karajan?
By the way, which orchestra do you play trumpet in?
Thanks again for your encouraging and insightful posts on this fascinating thread
Have a good week!

After your above reply, I'm even more convinced you will love the MA900s.  Loving your conductor comparisons as well!  I would definitely go with Karajan=HD598, but I might have to think longer about the MA900, maybe Solti or Boulez??

I play semi-pro trumpet, so I play with all my local amateur orchestras and do scratch pro orchestras when the gigs turn up.  I did 1st trumpet on the last three Victorian Opera Northwest recordings on Naxos.  I do a lot of session work too and play everything from jazz to pop to experimental.  What's your musical background?

One recording that sound particularly stunning on the MA900s is the live Celibidache Tchaikovsky 6th symphony with the Munich Philharmonic.  It was listening to that that blew my away - the sheer 'liveness' of the string sound in comparison to my other headphones and the spacious concert hall acoustic displayed really absorbs you in the opulence of the event. Glorious.

Please post your impressions when they arrive!  Happy listening, glad my posts were of use to someone out there.  I think I've swayed a couple of people onto these sleeper headphones now!

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,764 of 2,677

astroid can you elaborate bit more?, in what regard you found HD600 lesser headphone? now I have HD598 and I prefer MA900 for classical music, while HD598 has more convincing soundstage. I prefer MA900 because it reproduces larger symphony orchestra tonality  as more life like experience. 

I think Sony's soundstage is a bit tricky, vocals and generally upper midrange are very close to your ears. Sometimes it makes music more engaging but not always. For example listening opera is fine, but while listening to brass instruments (rare but still) I have found unpleasant closeness of instruments to my ears. It is like to take 2.0 laptop speakers and place in front of you ears. In that regard I prefer Senn HD598. I am guessing HD600 is somewhat refined HD598 more bass less treble and more natural presentation.

Anyway we would like to hear you comparison. I am gonna buy HD600 if I find nice deal. current price 399$ is just blatant rip-off. 

cheers           

Interesting to read about the differences between the MA900 and the HD598; I am expecting delivery of the MA900 tomorrow and have grown accustomed to that lovely smooth but quite detailed sound of the 598. I listen mainly to classical (Bach through to Xenakis (!!!)) of every genre but also jazz (Miles, Mingus, Monk) so I am really looking forward to giving my ears a new experience.
At first I listened to my 598 on my Ipod classic line out without a LOD, then bought an LOD and a Topping NX1 which noticeably improved the sound (apparently the Topping has zero impedance output)
but have read that the MA900 doesn't seem to change significantly by amping
Your notes on the comparative soundstages are very interesting to me; I really like the 598 soundstage, it sounds very natural and wide, but not too wide, therefore cohesive and not diffuse.. To my ears it was very similar to the soundstage of the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm I auditioned for a few days last week then returned (loved the treble, didn't find it at all sibilant or OTT, hated the recessed midrange and the (for me) overwhelming bass). Is the MA900 soundstage wider than the 598's?
My biggest concern, which made me dither about buying the MA900, was how similar they might be to my 598 - is the difference in sound signature obvious in your view?
Do the 900s change through burn-in / break-in? (sorry to stir up a hornet's nest by asking this!)
So, lots of questions from a very intrigued newbie!
I just wish I'd seen this thread a year ago, when the MA900 was still widely available!

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,765 of 2,677
Just bought these for 165$ new, i hope these will not leak an INSANE amount of noise like some users suggest.

It's kind of silly when you think about it, wearing headphones that make the same amount of noise as speakers... i hope it won't be that bad.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,766 of 2,677
Just bought these for 165$ new, i hope these will not leak an INSANE amount of noise like some users suggest.

It's kind of silly when you think about it, wearing headphones that make the same amount of noise as speakers... i hope it won't be that bad.

Well, they will indeed leak a lot, and by that I mean you probably wouldn't want to use this in the same room as someone's that's going to be distracted. If you're in the next room with the door closed though, then it likely won't be a problem (something that speakers in loud enough volumes will still do)

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,767 of 2,677
The door is closed but provide (very) poor isolation... i did some tests and my D2000 can be heard from across the house (when playing loud music and not on my head + closed door).

I wish someone made a video or an audio measurement comparing the noise from the MA900 while on the head Vs off the head , if it's the same kind of noise and the same level of noise then i'm screwed.
angry_face.gif

It's funny, i even searched for some door insulation\acoustic tiles on eBay
tongue_smile.gif
 i hope things won't come to this...

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,768 of 2,677
  The door is closed but provide (very) poor isolation... i did some tests and my D2000 can be heard from across the house (when playing loud music and not on my head + closed door).

I wish someone made a video or an audio measurement comparing the noise from the MA900 while on the head Vs off the head , if it's the same kind of noise and the same level of noise then i'm screwed.
angry_face.gif

It's funny, i even searched for some door insulation\acoustic tiles on eBay
tongue_smile.gif
 i hope things won't come to this...

No need to worry! I've just received my MA900s and you would have to have them on at seriously ear-damaging levels for anyone in the same room to complain - the flipside is rather that they do let a lot of sound in,so for serious listening just use them in another room. 
Sound quality is uncannily realistic, and I've only had mine on for three hours from new! Things may get even better with "burn-in"
angry_face.gif
 (which I believe in, to be honest)
The soundstage is not much wider than Sennheiser HD598, but for various psychoacoustic reasons it is possible to forget that you are listening through cans!

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,769 of 2,677
  After your above reply, I'm even more convinced you will love the MA900s.  Loving your conductor comparisons as well!  I would definitely go with Karajan=HD598, but I might have to think longer about the MA900, maybe Solti or Boulez??

I play semi-pro trumpet, so I play with all my local amateur orchestras and do scratch pro orchestras when the gigs turn up.  I did 1st trumpet on the last three Victorian Opera Northwest recordings on Naxos.  I do a lot of session work too and play everything from jazz to pop to experimental.  What's your musical background?

One recording that sound particularly stunning on the MA900s is the live Celibidache Tchaikovsky 6th symphony with the Munich Philharmonic.  It was listening to that that blew my away - the sheer 'liveness' of the string sound in comparison to my other headphones and the spacious concert hall acoustic displayed really absorbs you in the opulence of the event. Glorious.

Please post your impressions when they arrive!  Happy listening, glad my posts were of use to someone out there.  I think I've swayed a couple of people onto these sleeper headphones now!

Just auditioning my MA900s and am already aware of many sound characteristics I have read about in your and other fans' posts. Initially surprised that the soundstage wasn't much wider than my HD598 or the Beyer DT990 which I tried last week, but after a couple of hours you forget that you are listening through cans. Been listening to Abbado's Stravinsky Sacre on DG, straight from ipod classic, and was amazed at the detail, strong bass and powerful percussion, great balance of exciting and effortless which meant that I was hearing micro details and even better, structural underpinnings which had passed me by previously. So far, very impressed, and with continuing use, these should improve even further.
My own musical background is very modest - I've always been an open-minded listener but only started playing an instrument two years ago when retirement gave me the time to do so. Been having lessons in jazz piano from a lady I used to teach many years ago in school! I've learnt several Thelonious Monk pieces by memory and practice and am now practising scales and chords (rather than 2-note shells) in the left hand, so still a long way to go, but I play for pleasure anyway.
Have you ever had to play the opening solo to Mahler's 5th Symphony? Must be every trumpeter's nightmare! Congratulations on the recordings you have done for Naxos!
Will post further listening impressions in due course
Thanks again for leading me to these wonderful headphones

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,770 of 2,677

Just auditioning my MA900s and am already aware of many sound characteristics I have read about in your and other fans' posts. Initially surprised that the soundstage wasn't much wider than my HD598 or the Beyer DT990 which I tried last week, but after a couple of hours you forget that you are listening through cans. Been listening to Abbado's Stravinsky Sacre on DG, straight from ipod classic, and was amazed at the detail, strong bass and powerful percussion, great balance of exciting and effortless which meant that I was hearing micro details and even better, structural underpinnings which had passed me by previously. So far, very impressed, and with continuing use, these should improve even further.
My own musical background is very modest - I've always been an open-minded listener but only started playing an instrument two years ago when retirement gave me the time to do so. Been having lessons in jazz piano from a lady I used to teach many years ago in school! I've learnt several Thelonious Monk pieces by memory and practice and am now practising scales and chords (rather than 2-note shells) in the left hand, so still a long way to go, but I play for pleasure anyway.
Have you ever had to play the opening solo to Mahler's 5th Symphony? Must be every trumpeter's nightmare! Congratulations on the recordings you have done for Naxos!
Will post further listening impressions in due course
Thanks again for leading me to these wonderful headphones

I am so pleased you like your MA900, I knew you would.  Even with my other technically superior cans, they never fail to amaze me with certain recordings and some owners would compare them to certain flagship headphones.  In time, I think you will find the soundstage noticeably larger than the 598 on certain things.

I have played the opening to Mahler 5th.  It's a dream rather than a nightmare to play!  I mean, it isn't hard, notes-wise, it's just the pressure of the solo that makes it a bit twitchy!  I love Mahler.  Good luck with your musical journey.  I hope these headphones allow you to explore, discover and enjoy lots of new music.  That's the one major advantage of having great cans, that everything sounds so good on them that you end up listening to all sorts of stuff!  Keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back