Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
May 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #301 of 772
Quote:
jgray, theres a pretty clear explaintion in the F1 documation on my post in the first page on how the 'bass-lens' works. Here's how it looks like in the MA900:

Quote:

In the SA5K case i think the they reduced overall bass presense to enhance their extreme clarity trait, or maybe it wasn't possible for that driver type (nano-composite) to produce ample sub-bass frequencies in the relatively limited housing, as i don't remember anyone ever complain about the Qualia's bass capability- on the contrary.

As for the F1, It was the first of it's kind (no, K1000 aren't headphones...) and i guess even the 50mm diaphgram size ain't cutting it when a fully-open design is utillized. hence the deicsion to increase to 70mm.

Actually, the SA5000 driver can produce ample sub-bass. I changed the earpads on mine to those used on the Audio Technica M50 along with some other mods (extra mass damping on the baffle and some foam on the ear side of the baffle to reduce treble reflections from plastic surfaces) and the character changes completely. The M50's earpad adds a layer of felt between the ear and the driver, as well as having a smaller overall opening and is a softer pad than the leather, bringing the driver closer to the ear. After these changes the SA5000 can be said to be distinctly heftier in the lows.

I'm confused though. Wouldn't almost any earpad where the opening is the same size or smaller than the driver be a 'bass lens'?

I'm looking to try the Denon earpads which have an even smaller aperture.

May 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #303 of 772
Quote:
I just heard back from Sony and we are working on getting the MA900 for my channel. Stay tuned!

Who do you specifically message, I'm curious?

I've been maybe thinking of talking to that dapper gentleman Claude Schmidt about the XBA's.

May 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #304 of 772
In the SA5K case i think the they reduced overall bass presense to enhance their extreme clarity trait, or maybe it wasn't possible for that driver type (nano-composite) to produce ample sub-bass frequencies in the relatively limited housing, as i don't remember anyone ever complain about the Qualia's bass capability- on the contrary.

As for the F1, It was the first of it's kind (no, K1000 aren't headphones...) and i guess even the 50mm diaphgram size ain't cutting it when a fully-open design is utillized. hence the deicsion to increase to 70mm.

And this would support Hoffman's Iron Law...

I think it's probably a bit early to decree the MA900 as a rightful successor to the F1.

Unfortunately, the international/english version of the F1 manual doesn't have the multi-page section on the bass lens; I'm too lazy to dig out the japanese manual and scan it in (maybe later). It's just pictures of what was described already.

As far as the pads acting as a bass lens - if they coupled to the driver closely enough, yes I believe this would work. The K701 for example, does this.

May 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #305 of 772
Quote:
I'm confused though. Wouldn't almost any earpad where the opening is the same size or smaller than the driver be a 'bass lens'?

I'm looking to try the Denon earpads which have an even smaller aperture.

If it's supra-aural and we're thinking about the same opening then yea, pretty much. Sony often uses filter paper as damping and this is what they used for their bass lens in both the F1 and MA900. Pretty sure it's semi-permeable so not quite as drastic as the vinyl backing of a supra-aural pad. It "attenuates" higher frequencies whereas a pad with smallish opening would "reflect" them even more in my mind.

Looks like they forewent the damped venting around the circumference of the driver, or maybe that's a picture of it partially disassembled? Interesting. I wonder if they moved the driver closer to your ear of if the bass doesn't need as much help directionally with the larger diameter driver.

May 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #306 of 772
Quote:
I can only say the physical design is quite poor.

Although this seems to be a commonly recurring theme for this headphone I don't think it is the build quality is all that bad. The headphones are definitely lightweight, but I don't think that equates to poor quality.  The F1's have a sort of suspension system on the headband which works well, but is bulky. The MA900 have bigger drivers than the F1 and are lighter and more comfortable. The headband is certainly streamlined and simplified but I don't think that is a drop in quality so much as an improvement in design efficiency. 

For me the big attraction for the F1s and MA900s is the combination of comfort and SQ. The F1s were very good for that and the MA900s are an improvement. The MA900s are selling new for about what the F1s were going for second hand at the time they came out. I think they are good value.

Also an earlier poster was asking about a bass comparison with Grado. I have Grado SR80s with the comfy pads. The sony's are more comfortable and the bass is a tiny bit deeper but far more articulate. Especially in the mid to upper bass, details that end up muffled and confused with the Grados are clear with the Sony.

May 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #307 of 772
I can appreciate lightweight and streamlined headphones. However I find the build of the MA900 to be poor for several reasons.

1.) The headphone adjustment sliders are too imprecise and prone to sliding back up / rebounding back upward when you pull the cups outward to place it on your head.

2.) On my particular unit the right earcup has no resistance in the assembly and flops downward like dead weight. The left earcup on the other hand is fine and has tension so will hold in place when adjusted.

3.) The cord is really thin and the plug housing is the worst of any Sony headphone I've ever owned.

4.) Lots of uneven gaps and issues with seams not meeting up.

May 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #308 of 772
The slides on mine are quite firm and do not rebound or move without deliberate effort, nor is there any flopping on either side. I can not see that there any gaps or seams that do not meet on mine either.  If your phones do have those problems and there is that sort of inconsistency so early in production then that might be a concern. The plug is not super amazing, though I do have Sony PFR V1 and the plug is worse on them. I note that the plug on my MA900s has a stamp saying it was made in Thailand. I cannot find a mark anywhere on the actual headphone to say where the parts of that were made. 

May 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #309 of 772
Well for what it's worth, most of the early impressions I've been reading---here on head-fi and elsewhere---are in some form of agreement over poor build quality. I've spent enough time with the F1 to get a feel for how it's built, and personally I think the MA900 is a step down in construction. I'm genuinely glad your model doesn't display any of the issues I've noted. I have however spoken to another member who has experienced similar problems with the adjustment sliders, so I don't seem to be alone in that regard.

At the end of the day, I know Sony is capable of doing better. While I certainly appreciate the comfort factor on the MA900, I look at the Z1000 which isn't that much heavier, and I see something much more robust and better built. Compared to the Z1000, SA5000, CD3000, and even the F1, I just can't help but feel the build on the MA900 is a joke. Similarly Sony's XBA line of balanced armature IEMs seems like a definite downgrade compared to the EX models. This seems to be indicative of a larger corporate trend at Sony.

May 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #311 of 772
Quote:
If it's supra-aural and we're thinking about the same opening then yea, pretty much. Sony often uses filter paper as damping and this is what they used for their bass lens in both the F1 and MA900. Pretty sure it's semi-permeable so not quite as drastic as the vinyl backing of a supra-aural pad. It "attenuates" higher frequencies whereas a pad with smallish opening would "reflect" them even more in my mind.

Looks like they forewent the damped venting around the circumference of the driver, or maybe that's a picture of it partially disassembled? Interesting. I wonder if they moved the driver closer to your ear of if the bass doesn't need as much help directionally with the larger diameter driver.

Quite the opposite- the bass-lens is a high-pass filter, it "concentrates" bass but allows the highs through intact, though how is it achieved w/o loads of distortion from the refltected back wave is beyond me. The venting you refer to is on the back of the driver is it not? the front has only the center port from what i'm able to figure thru the mesh screen on mine.

Btw, Who's the first volunteer to pry their MA900 open and catch the nasty next-gen impedance circuit in the wild? It won't be a pretty sight so the kiddies should probably avoid it.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Also an earlier poster was asking about a bass comparison with Grado. I have Grado SR80s with the comfy pads. The sony's are more comfortable and the
bass is a tiny bit deeper but far more articulate.

Only a tiny bit deeper? really?

May 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #312 of 772
Quote:
Quote:

Btw, Who's the first volunteer to pry their MA900 open and catch the nasty next-gen impedance circuit in the wild? It won't be a pretty sight so the kiddies should probably avoid it. 

If someone gave me a pair, I would crack it open like a seagull with a crab.

May 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #313 of 772
Some graphs from Sonove (Thanks tomscy2000, I don't know if these have already been posted but here goes):

There's some comparison with the F1 and K1000 on the original link.

http://sonove.angry.jp/sony_MDR_MA900.html

May 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #314 of 772
Quote:
I just heard back from Sony and we are working on getting the MA900 for my channel. Stay tuned!

Awesome. I guess it figures that Sony would be the first manufacturer to support their #1 fanboy. 
tongue_smile.gif

Hope you get the rest of the MA line as well. There aren't too many full-size open headphone at the lower price points, so they would definitely be interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back