Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Apr 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 772

fusionramjet

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody have these yet? If so, how do they sound?
They have 70mm drivers and are open back. Sony describes a special mechanism that allows strong bass despite it being open backed.
Looks intriguing.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 772
Sweeet! An F1 successor... screw yeah! I'm actually excited about a new headphone release.
basshead.gif

I really hope the manged to combine the resolution and clarity of the SA5000 and the tonal and soundstage accuracy of the F1. With a nice kicking low-end these would be VERY good indeed!

Specs tell the diaphram is the regular PET stuff, it's somewhat dissapinting that the new LCP material wans't implemented here. Still, I hope they the Sony team knows their stuff and these would be technically stellar.

Oh i'm def gonna lay my ears on these and compare them to the F1 and SA5000... hope sooner rather than later.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 772
Love my MDRF1, still going strong after 8 years of strong use! The earpads begin to show their age though but the replacement are so expensive. Those look tempting but I just bought a pair of can. Maybe next Xmas!

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 772
Quote:
They have 70mm drivers and are open back. Sony describes a special mechanism that allows strong bass despite it being open backed.
Looks intriguing.

It's basically a bass port, which is very unique feature in a fully OPEN headphoes:

It does works quite well in the F1, provides an nice and tight punchy mid-bass. Problem is the true-low end is very weak. The larger drivers are likely to be even more bassy but lets hope the the extention is going to be there.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 772
did anyone buy these yet? they seem to be on sell at retail places like B&H. i'm curious what others think as well since i do myself like the SA5000 very much. never tried the F1 though.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 772
I was looking for a pair of MDR-F1 for months, and now a new version is a welcome bit of news. I had actually ordered with a japanese store, and then the last stock recall of the F1's happened, and I got refunded with a note of "sorry for the disappointment". LOL, disappointment indeed.

According to the European press release http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7454&NewsAreaId=2 This series seems to be intended to be Sony's new high end Open cans. Unless there is something else up their sleeve, but I doubt that.

In any case, these cans are supposed to be made out of nice materials, but I was a little bit disappointed to hear about the impedance resistor network being in these cans also, since the MDR-F1 is supposed to reach its fullest potential by getting modded to have the resistors removed.

Anyhow, maybe they "fixed" the design on this model. I'm glad they didn't let the "F1" concept go extinct.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 772

Quote:
but I was a little bit disappointed to hear about the impedance resistor network being in these cans also, since the MDR-F1 is supposed to reach its fullest potential by getting modded to have the resistors removed.

Anyhow, maybe they "fixed" the design on this model. I'm glad they didn't let the "F1" concept go extinct.

Where did you get the resitor network is being implemented again? there's no mention in the PR that you linked to nor in Sony product page. I think they've learned that it was mistake to put that crap SMD stuff directly in the signal path, as i doesn't do it;s job very well and most definitely holds the sound quality back. 

I'm also glad the Full-Open design is kept and hopfully, also improved upon. may it kicks some butt wrt to the new "the more expansive the better" trend...

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 772
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-MA900/

It's under the "Impedance Matching Circuit" section:

"Impedance matching circuit

Impedance matching circuit built into the unit by the driver (resistor network), can significantly reduce the impedance of the amplifier varies depending on connection, the variation in sound quality."

Images are here: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-MA900/images/prod/m/y_MDR-MA900_004.jpg

and here: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-MA900/images/prod/m/y_MDR-MA900_004.jpg

for the impedance network.

FYI, that page has lots of good specs on the MDR-MA900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back