Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #181 of 207
Here are the new open back monitors officially revealed!

https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-MV1/?s_pid=jp_/headphone/special/MDR-MV1/_footer_product

offical 1.png

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #183 of 207
Apr 30, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #184 of 207

Look at this. MY GOD!! If this is true and not just the M1ST with Yaxi sounding bright due to it's fragile treble imo, then the MV1 is meant for the dumpster. If I do not misremember, the M1ST has treble spikes which hurt me so badly, so that I needed a pad swap as soon as I realised it wasn't me having issues but the headphone.... then most of the overall sound was not as bad as it sounds here in this Korean video. They might not have used this headphone for 40 hours which took me (no real time but more like sessions of medium use) to not peak for me at low volumes and then also additional Yaxi Pad wear-in.... So I had to check this vid on NDH30 and yeah, the treble sounds even more metalic vs 7506. It seems like all channels currently are sponsored by Sony or got a review sample so that they can not show JDM headphones like CD900st and M1ST.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #185 of 207
I got my MDR-M1ST from Amazon Japan, paid with Visa Debit (no Credit Card needed) - fast and easy.

Reading impressions here, I also got Yaxi Pads.

1. The Pads. My Yaxi Pads do not look as dramatically thicker as they do look in many pictures online: just 2-3mm thicker than stock Pads. Another thing: stitching on these is a bit wavy and bumpy - overall the quality is not as good as stock Pads, very close, but not the same.

Both Pads were not thick enough for me: tips of my ears would touch inside the cup and hurt. Who "designed" these?! No wonder it hurts: there is nothing over hard, edgy plastic inside the earcup.

Being somewhat a "purist", I wanted to use these "as stock as possible". Yaxi Pads worked, but not good enough. Also did not want to change original sound signature.

I bought 4mm and 6mm Acoustically Transparent Foam for speaker grill covers, which, in theory, should not alter original sound signature at all.

I took original Pads off, traced exact oval shape of inside of the cups and cut out some out of the foam I got. I put my foam between that edgy, hard plastic grill and a Pad: it worked like a dream.

4mm foam insert completely solves the hard internal edges problem (you can sleep with these on now), it raises Pads perfectly enough so tips of my ears no longer touch the grill and I can not hear any changes in sound. If you want to be even more "purist" the design of stock Pads allows for use of a doughnut shaped foam insert (not just oval shaped): that configuration will only thicken stock Pads from the back, which will move grill furter away from your ears and having hole in the middle of a doughnut shaped foam removes any material sitting atop of a driver and make that insert invisible. It's beautiful: foam is not expensive, you can get few different thicknesses to dial the feel in perfect. I would recommend trying 2mm thick foam too: because, for my ears, that would be a better place to start - 4mm is juuust a touch more than I need.

2. The Cable. I have Sony NW-WM1A DAP that I wanted to match these headphones to. It has Pentaconn Jacks in it (Japan made) - so it only makes sense to match it with a Pentaconn Plug.

I also trimmed the cable length from 2.5m to a "classic" 120cm.

I used (in my opinion) the best audio specific solder available: Oyaide SS-47. Japan made. It has 4.7% Silver (yes, you can use some German Solder with 11% Silver, but, because Silver has very high melting temperature it makes it impossible to use without melting plastic on your connectors. "Wetting" of a solder joint becomes harder too). SS-47 Solder also has 4N (99.993%) pure Tin and it's designed to be soldered at a lower temperature, safer for plastic connectors. I used Hozan HS-26 Soldering Iron, with temperature set precisely to 217C Oyaide recommends.

I made cable stress relief to make large opening hole in Plug Shell look good by using tapered round wooden stick and two layers of US made Heat Shrink Tubing. Sanded all over with 1500 grit sandpaper to make it look matte, as close to stock as possible. I also made small black ring to cover shiny gold strip around headphone cup plug, to make it more "stealthy". Later added red strip to Pentaconn shell to match red strip on headphones cups and make it look visually "stock".

Side note: Sony are a-holes for putting glue on stock plug and shell - making it impossible to re-use their shells.

I had a lot of fun making it happen.

Attachments

• IMG_8247.jpeg
    IMG_8247.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7260.jpeg
    IMG_7260.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7266.jpeg
    IMG_7266.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7269.jpeg
    IMG_7269.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8251.jpeg
    IMG_8251.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3673.png
    IMG_3673.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7866.jpeg
    IMG_7866.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7978.jpeg
    IMG_7978.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7980.jpeg
    IMG_7980.jpeg
    981.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8212.jpeg
    IMG_8212.jpeg
  • IMG_8215.jpeg
    IMG_8215.jpeg
  • IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8219.jpeg
    IMG_8219.jpeg
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
  • IMG_8233.jpeg
    IMG_8233.jpeg
    972.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    883.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8241.jpeg
    IMG_8241.jpeg
  • IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    925.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8548.jpeg
    IMG_8548.jpeg
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1113.jpeg
    IMG_1113.jpeg
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #186 of 207
I got my MDR-M1ST from Amazon Japan, paid with Visa Debit (no Credit Card needed) - fast and easy.

Reading impressions here, I also got Yaxi Pads.

1. The Pads. My Yaxi Pads do not look as dramatically thicker as they do look in many pictures online: just 2-3mm thicker than stock Pads. Another thing: stitching on these is a bit wavy and bumpy - overall the quality is not as good as stock Pads, very close, but not the same.

Both Pads were not thick enough for me: tips of my ears would touch inside the cup and hurt. Who "designed" these?! No wonder it hurts: there is nothing over hard, edgy plastic inside the earcup.

Being somewhat a "purist", I wanted to use these "as stock as possible". Yaxi Pads worked, but not good enough. Also did not want to change original sound signature.

I bought 4mm and 6mm Acoustically Transparent Foam for speaker grill covers, which, in theory, should not alter original sound signature at all.

I took original Pads off, traced exact oval shape of inside of the cups and cut out some out of the foam I got. I put my foam between that edgy, hard plastic grill and a Pad: it worked like a dream.

4mm foam insert completely solves the hard internal edges problem (you can sleep with these on now), it raises Pads perfectly enough so tips of my ears no longer touch the grill and I can not hear any changes in sound. If you want to be even more "purist" the design of stock Pads allows for use of a doughnut shaped foam insert (not just oval shaped): that configuration will only thicken stock Pads from the back, which will move grill furter away from your ears and having hole in the middle of a doughnut shaped foam removes any material sitting atop of a driver and make that insert invisible. It's beautiful: foam is not expensive, you can get few different thicknesses to dial the feel in perfect. I would recommend trying 2mm thick foam too: because, for my ears, that would be a better place to start - 4mm is juuust a touch more than I need.

2. The Cable. I have Sony NW-WM1A DAP that I wanted to match these headphones to. It has Pentaconn Jacks in it (Japan made) - so it only makes sense to match it with a Pentaconn Plug.

I also trimmed the cable length from 2.5m to a "classic" 120cm.

I used (in my opinion) the best audio specific solder available: Oyaide SS-47. Japan made. It has 4.7% Silver (yes, you can use some German Solder with 11% Silver, but, because Silver has very high melting temperature it makes it impossible to use without melting plastic on your connectors. "Wetting" of a solder joint becomes harder too). SS-47 Solder also has 4N (99.993%) pure Tin and it's designed to be soldered at a lower temperature, safer for plastic connectors. I used Hozan HS-26 Soldering Iron, with temperature set precisely to 217C Oyaide recommends.

I made cable stress relief to make large opening hole in Plug Shell look good by using tapered round wooden stick and two layers of US made Heat Shrink Tubing. Sanded all over with 1500 grit sandpaper to make it look matte, as close to stock as possible. I also made small black ring to cover shiny gold strip around headphone cup plug, to make it more "stealthy". Later added red strip to Pentaconn shell to match red strip on headphones cups and make it look visually "stock".

Side note: Sony are a-holes for putting glue on stock plug and shell - making it impossible to re-use their shells.

I had a lot of fun making it happen.
awesome, if you use the wm1a you should definitely use mrwalkman's custom firmware on it, I've specific settings that very much elevate the SQ of the wm1a to the next level :)

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #190 of 207
If I ever have issues with the cable, then I will never replace the plugs but splice the original plugs since I really love these. I wish these could be used for NDH30. Huge plugs yes but I can not get enough xD
Plugs on a stock Cable are very good: thick, heavy and beautiful.

Plug at the Ear Cup has a lock ring and can be taken apart "easily" without damage.

Plug at the 6.3mm Connector - has threads on its shell glued so you can't unscrew it. I cut off 6.3mm Connector tip, drilled small hole through the center and then drilled all the guts out with a larger drill bit. It's nasty: the core spins, it overheats, it melts rubber Stress Relief.

If you are just swapping the core from 6.3mm to 4.4mm then you can still re-use the original shell.

Attachments

• IMG_7953.jpeg
    IMG_7953.jpeg
  • IMG_7972.jpeg
    IMG_7972.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7974.jpeg
    IMG_7974.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7977.jpeg
    IMG_7977.jpeg
  • IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #191 of 207
Do Sony offer a locking 4.4MM Cable in the same style as the .25" cable?
I think the price was USD 200 at launch. Not sure if I just misremember it. The NDH30 cable is 80€ but for the short one and some balanced cable is announced but the prices I have seen were equally high before release - Sony and Neumann seem similarly bad.

So this is one link
33k Yen and 110k Yen for custom cables, 2 lengths
https://briseaudio.com/en/products/headphone-recable-brisehp-for-mdr-m1st
OG Cables 48k Yen
https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/en/products/detail/item/271750/

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #195 of 207

Look at this. MY GOD!! If this is true and not just the M1ST with Yaxi sounding bright due to it's fragile treble imo, then the MV1 is meant for the dumpster. If I do not misremember, the M1ST has treble spikes which hurt me so badly, so that I needed a pad swap as soon as I realised it wasn't me having issues but the headphone.... then most of the overall sound was not as bad as it sounds here in this Korean video. They might not have used this headphone for 40 hours which took me (no real time but more like sessions of medium use) to not peak for me at low volumes and then also additional Yaxi Pad wear-in.... So I had to check this vid on NDH30 and yeah, the treble sounds even more metalic vs 7506. It seems like all channels currently are sponsored by Sony or got a review sample so that they can not show JDM headphones like CD900st and M1ST.

That was my experience with most Sony cans after my CD3000’s and 2000’s (the 2000’s were neutral) I got the SA3000’s- Too bright! MDR V900’s- too bright! Z1000’s- too bright! Then I got
The Z7’s all dark and smooth and fell head over heels, I LOVE them for lounge music, slower jazz etc. Damn shame these new ones are so bright…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back