Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Jul 6, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #196 of 207
Yes, they are the M50X pads. The word I would use to describe the sound w these is clean. I was underwhelmed at first, but after a bit I could really detect the nuances of what they were doing to the sound, which I feel is not a lot. I think these pads are just getting out of the way and allowing the headphone to do it’s thing.
EIXZYqC.jpeg

New here and wanted to share my story with the M1ST with HartAudio Cables.
My first thought when I got these were really bad. First I could not crank the volume without distortion for some reason on my FiiO Q5s which is a great combination with only 24ohms. I'd say it took the M1ST 50h of mixed playback until I got all out of it. In that time I could not grasp the reason why everything sounded off and treble has murder peaks for my liking so I looked for pads and stumbled upon the Brainwavez Sheepskin Oval, first thing on Amazon Germany and ordered a pair. The pads are making my ears warmer than the NDH20 stock pads as comparison but increase the soundstage to at least 58x levels imo
and the Real Star -> is gaming and movies. I noticed that I could hear everything in Escape from Tarkov livestreams and potentially surpass Sennheiser 700?!

My setup changed from December. I own the FiiO Q5s for about 3 years for, at first, mainly retro gaming to get audio from RCA to 3.5mm and later Toslink from my current PC, a ryzen 3rd gen... last month I got the Topping A90 and made me able to enjoy balanced properly. The Q5s just can not do it.

I am a person who likes more neutral sound like NDH20 and M1ST and Kph30i compared to headphones like Sony WH1000XM3 which are just awful for me. Neutral here means that I like to hear everything mostly unaltered but won't complain if it is not actually neutral. The intention needs to be still in the audio....

Soundwise - I love these. The bass is probably not flat but the right amount. Mids are flat and treble is on point. After getting used to this headphone I can not use the 58x because it misses some detail and it is an open back. I quickly get pulled out of games and media from outside sounds. As I mentioned, I swapped pads and as far as I can hear, bass gets stronger and shows every new note perfectly. Mids are the best I ever have heard (sold M50x >sold Beyerdynamic Custom Studio > own 58x > own Neumann NDH20 > own KPH30i and lastly M1ST). It really made me appreciate Napalm Death where I actually could understand the vocals easily. Also Beasty Boys sounds more alive and less low res. OST like Hans Zimmer - Dreaming of the Crash AND 2049 can be played without any distortion as far as I remember. I mainly listen to Japanese music from just Pop bands, jmetal and indie but also some less Kawaii idol bands. I really dig the way synthesisers are used in Japanese songs. Also like Country music and radio classics from early 2000s and before and Punk Metal. (Korean: Black Pink, Japanese: PassCode, Yonige, Daoko, Atarashii Gakko, Reichi, Regal Lily, Chanmina, Anly and more)

My summary for the M1ST is: It is a headphone for quiet rooms due to the vent on top which make the M1ST sound more like a studio speaker setup with great accuracy, awesome timbre, great sound stage and imaging. The sound might be exaggerated for live recording in studio to hear everything because I can hear bass guitars perfectly in nearly all songs and the separation is really good. Movies actually give some kind of subwoofer sound. I watched Edge of Tomorrow and Good Thief and it rumbles quietly.

Edit: always confuse HD700 with 800 series.
Hi KingForKings, BIG thank you for the information!

I had such high hopes for these headphones but fresh out the box these sound HORRIBLE. I mean, these are not my first set of good Headphones / Earphones but I did not expect this at all: these sounded so weird; bass was just ok; voices were way off, like listening through a plastic cup; very narrow soundstage, recessed mids; highs were bright. *Stock Pads; 6.3mm Plug replaced with 4.4mm Balanced Pentaconn Plug; Cable trimmed from 2.5m to 1.2m; better Solder (pictures in profile, if anyone is interested).

Simply put: sound was unacceptable to the point that after 3 listening sessions, with a lot of sadness, I have packed them up and was a day away from putting them up for sale...

...and then I got few pages deeper into this thread; have read your reviews here and Reddit; and few other sources on Japanese sites, all saying THESE HAVE TO BE BURNED IN TO SOUND GOOD.

Face palm. Rookie mistake.

I'm here to confirm: Headphones started to sound noticeably better after 5th listening session. Session 6 had confirmed it further.

About to get the Pads you have recommended.

Currently these already sound good enough to be worth keeping.

Build quality on these is simply superb! Can't beat "Made in Japan".

*Strange that Sony doesn't warn customers about burn in - I imagine a lot of people have returned these after first few listens.

*Yes, I have never heard how these sound with stock Cable and I am certain my alterations had made an audible difference (theoretically only in better ways) - even if these sounded good with stock Cable, I would not keep them: Balanced - is the only way. Too many benefits (wider soundstage, quieter background, clearer sounding L / R channels).

If you just got these: be patient - totally worth it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #197 of 207
That was my experience with most Sony cans after my CD3000’s and 2000’s (the 2000’s were neutral) I got the SA3000’s- Too bright! MDR V900’s- too bright! Z1000’s- too bright! Then I got
The Z7’s all dark and smooth and fell head over heels, I LOVE them for lounge music, slower jazz etc. Damn shame these new ones are so bright…
Check out Dekoni Audio Foam Attenuation Kit - you might be able to tame their brightness.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #198 of 207
And let me also say, I feel I am finally able to hear this headphone do all it can, and the more I listen the more I am won over. Listening to complex tracks from Beethoven, nothing is missed. There is speed and finesse, macro and micro dynamics and layering I have hoped to hear from this HP, but could not until now.
Hi equalspeace, thank you a lot for the information - it saved me from returning these.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #200 of 207
If you are looking for replacement Ear Pads, but not sure which ones to get, this might make it easier:

Sony MDR-M1ST Exact Dimensions:

Ear Cup: 98.50mm x 80.50mm

Ear Pad:
Outer: 98.50mm x 80.50mm
Inner: 62.25mm x 38.50mm
Thickness: 15.50mm-16.00mm

*Ear Pad thickness is measured when "fresh", I doubt there is any permanent compression / shrinkage yet to affect numbers. Measured after days of not using these so memory foam had a chance to fully return to its original shape.

Attachments

• IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9280.jpeg
    IMG_9280.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9285.jpeg
    IMG_9285.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9282.jpeg
    IMG_9282.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9287.jpeg
    IMG_9287.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9288.jpeg
    IMG_9288.jpeg
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9303.jpeg
    IMG_9303.jpeg
Jul 12, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #201 of 207
Hi KingForKings, BIG thank you for the information!

I had such high hopes for these headphones but fresh out the box these sound HORRIBLE. I mean, these are not my first set of good Headphones / Earphones but I did not expect this at all: these sounded so weird; bass was just ok; voices were way off, like listening through a plastic cup; very narrow soundstage, recessed mids; highs were bright. *Stock Pads; 6.3mm Plug replaced with 4.4mm Balanced Pentaconn Plug; Cable trimmed from 2.5m to 1.2m; better Solder (pictures in profile, if anyone is interested).

Simply put: sound was unacceptable to the point that after 3 listening sessions, with a lot of sadness, I have packed them up and was a day away from putting them up for sale...

...and then I got few pages deeper into this thread; have read your reviews here and Reddit; and few other sources on Japanese sites, all saying THESE HAVE TO BE BURNED IN TO SOUND GOOD.

Face palm. Rookie mistake.

I'm here to confirm: Headphones started to sound noticeably better after 5th listening session. Session 6 had confirmed it further.

About to get the Pads you have recommended.

Currently these already sound good enough to be worth keeping.

Build quality on these is simply superb! Can't beat "Made in Japan".

*Strange that Sony doesn't warn customers about burn in - I imagine a lot of people have returned these after first few listens.

*Yes, I have never heard how these sound with stock Cable and I am certain my alterations had made an audible difference (theoretically only in better ways) - even if these sounded good with stock Cable, I would not keep them: Balanced - is the only way. Too many benefits (wider soundstage, quieter background, clearer sounding L / R channels).

If you just got these: be patient - totally worth it.
I think THIS is why THE FIRST TAKE, a Japanese "one take" recording and live concert studio do not use these headphones past 6 months. They hated these 100% and went back to the perfectly fine and ancient sounding CD900ST. I have never seen the M1ST ever on any Japanese music video or anything else. I hope Sony Japan does not think the M1ST are D. O. A. I hope someone, even if it is Z, will review the new open back Sony's. Since I only care about neutral ish sounding headphones, I currently only follow Sony and Neumann. Sennheiser lost itself especially with IE 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 900 lineup between 2 companies (it should be 6 IEMs one number is wrong). All other headphones I want will be second hand e.g. HD800, AKG open backs and maybe some beyer classic. This means I am always really happy to see some nice Sony or Neumann headphone release. I just do not care about Planars, when I get 90% from dynamics.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #202 of 207
Has anyone thought what headband could work, whenever the pleather headband part of the M1ST falls apart? It starts to have some cracks in the pleather. I think I want to try the Beyerdynamic DT770pro pads? My hair is just very rough and dry.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #203 of 207
Has anyone thought what headband could work, whenever the pleather headband part of the M1ST falls apart? It starts to have some cracks in the pleather. I think I want to try the Beyerdynamic DT770pro pads? My hair is just very rough and dry.
i bought something like this to extend the life of the headband first half of 2019. you might want to consider while looking for a replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    909.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #204 of 207
If you are looking for replacement Ear Pads, but not sure which ones to get, this might make it easier:

Sony MDR-M1ST Exact Dimensions:

Ear Cup: 98.50mm x 80.50mm

Ear Pad:
Outer: 98.50mm x 80.50mm
Inner: 62.25mm x 38.50mm
Thickness: 15.50mm-16.00mm

*Ear Pad thickness is measured when "fresh", I doubt there is any permanent compression / shrinkage yet to affect numbers. Measured after days of not using these so memory foam had a chance to fully return to its original shape.
i bought dekoni’s while on a trip to japan for my cd900st. it fit the m1st as well. also replacement pads for ath-m50x works (i bought a pair but forgot what brand).

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #205 of 207
i bought dekoni’s while on a trip to japan for my cd900st. it fit the m1st as well. also replacement pads for ath-m50x works (i bought a pair but forgot what brand).
For me, Yaxi M1ST is just too good but always nice to know enough different pads exist. I need to try the HD600 pads from Yaxi. I dont believe it is going to be better than dekoni and the other brands. I love how ever amp or audio source can colour the M1ST.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #207 of 207
Guys, try the Yaxi stPad2. They work better than the m-st pads. And I think will work even better after sometime when the pads get squashed down a couple millimeters. I didn't like it at all in stock form, uncomfortable and congested sound. Now, it's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back