Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #166 of 207
Any updates on the Yaxi M-ST pads ?
The Yaxi pads arrived yesterday c:

I personally LOVE what they do for the M1ST's! First off, comfort has improved drastically. They feel like literal pillows on my ears! They're deeper than the default pads, and have Alcantara on the surfaces that touch your face. Super comfortable!

As for the sound; the bass is reigned in and well controlled, even extending a little deeper than it does with the default pads. It is also amazing at rendering different bass textures, moreso than both the Brainwavz sheepskin pads and the default pads in my opinion. Instrument separation is leaps and bounds above the Brainwavz and default pads as well. I listen to a lot of math/prog rock, so good separation is very important to me. The mids have been balanced out and sound very neutral to my ears. The lower mids have been moved down in line with the bass and the upper mids have been brought up to match. The treble has been increased slightly, but still retains the natural tone of the default pads.

Frequency response changes aside; attack and decay have been sharpened to near-pinpoint accuracy, and I can hear each and every guitar note, snare hit and string pluck in near-crystal-clear detail. So they are very resolving as well. Soundstage has increased slightly compared to the default pads to my ears, but is still very intimate and personal, and isn't as wide as the Brainwavz sheepskins. The space given is utilized much better on these pads than both the Brainwavz sheepskins and the default pads in my opinion though, and all notes across the frequency range feel like they have an equal size and presence, which is perfect for mixing, mastering, and yes, even critical listening. Magnifique! 🤌🤌

There is only one downside to me: higher pitched "ee" sounds can be rather sharp at higher volumes, so there may be a peak somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble. Though this shouldn't matter too too much, and is mostly dependent on what you're listening to.

Hope this little review helped! Tried to be as detailed as possible. Feel free to ask me any questions if there's something I didn't cover! c:

TL;DR: The Yaxi Pro M-ST pads are an almost universal improvement for the M1ST if you want a far more detailed and intricate experience. Wonderful for mixing and mastering too. Best pads I have heard for the M1ST to my ears. 👌

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #167 of 207
*accidentally quoted myself for no reason. Ignore this

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #168 of 207
The Yaxi pads arrived yesterday c:

I personally LOVE what they do for the M1ST's! First off, comfort has improved drastically. They feel like literal pillows on my ears! They're deeper than the default pads, and have Alcantara on the surfaces that touch your face. Super comfortable!

As for the sound; the bass is reigned in and well controlled, even extending a little deeper than it does with the default pads. It is also amazing at rendering different bass textures, moreso than both the Brainwavz sheepskin pads and the default pads in my opinion. Instrument separation is leaps and bounds above the Brainwavz and default pads as well. I listen to a lot of math/prog rock, so good separation is very important to me. The mids have been balanced out and sound very neutral to my ears. The lower mids have been moved down in line with the bass and the upper mids have been brought up to match. The treble has been increased slightly, but still retains the natural tone of the default pads.

Frequency response changes aside; attack and decay have been sharpened to near-pinpoint accuracy, and I can hear each and every guitar note, snare hit and string pluck in near-crystal-clear detail. So they are very resolving as well. Soundstage has increased slightly compared to the default pads to my ears, but is still very intimate and personal, and isn't as wide as the Brainwavz sheepskins. The space given is utilized much better on these pads than both the Brainwavz sheepskins and the default pads in my opinion though, and all notes across the frequency range feel like they have an equal size and presence, which is perfect for mixing, mastering, and yes, even critical listening. Magnifique! 🤌🤌

There is only one downside to me: higher pitched "ee" sounds can be rather sharp at higher volumes, so there may be a peak somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble. Though this shouldn't matter too too much, and is mostly dependent on what you're listening to.

Hope this little review helped! Tried to be as detailed as possible. Feel free to ask me any questions if there's something I didn't cover! c:

TL;DR: The Yaxi Pro M-ST pads are an almost universal improvement for the M1ST if you want a far more detailed and intricate experience. Wonderful for mixing and mastering too. Best pads I have heard for the M1ST to my ears. 👌
This is incredibly helpful, as I’m one who thought the M1ST should be brighter.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #169 of 207
Anyone have any frequency response measurements of the M1ST's with the Yaxi pads made for the headphone?
This is sorely needed, in general there needs to be more overlap where audiophile enthusiast meets audio professional.

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #170 of 207
This is incredibly helpful, as I’m one who thought the M1ST should be brighter.
Then this should be wonderful for you! Just mind that treble peak; guitars and higher pitched vocals can be piercing at higher volumes. These clearly weren't meant to be cranked up with these pads on- xc

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #171 of 207
These fit https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-hd6xx-earpads. I got the perforated suede and comfort is very good, sound quality is ok, I didn’t really liked the Yaxi ones for sound, and the original ones where very uncomfortable. ZMF ones are very comfortable and the sound is enjoyable.

41BB6CEC-FB12-40D1-8DC5-D4B6389836E9.jpeg

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #172 of 207
Anybody want an MDR-M1ST with yaxi pads? I'm selling to afford an hd800s. I loved my time with them though.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #173 of 207
Any updates on the Yaxi M-ST pads ?
Wondering if YAXI is ever going to make an M-ST-LR pad with the blue/red color coded rim ?

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #174 of 207
Long shot, but can anyone compare these with something like MSR7B or Beyer's DT700? More generally, can anyone comment on the technical performance of these with the Yaxi pads? They've been a headphone I've been curious about for a while.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #175 of 207
hey folks no idea if this will interest users but, supposedly a new model is coming, I don't have a specific date but it should be real soon

The design is very close to what was shown by Sony in a video back in 2021 from CES. The vents are much thinner and longer on the sides and not divided in the middle.

The earpads are also larger than the current MDR-M1ST. The side of the headphones rather than having a round shape is more stretched out, oval with straight/flat sides.

head1.jpg
head2.jpg

head3.jpg
head4.jpg
head5.jpg

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #176 of 207
hey folks no idea if this will interest users but, supposedly a new model is coming, I don't have a specific date but it should be real soon

The design is very close to what was shown by Sony in a video back in 2021 from CES. The vents are much thinner and longer on the sides and not divided in the middle.

The earpads are also larger than the current MDR-M1ST. The side of the headphones rather than having a round shape is more stretched out, oval with straight/flat sides.

head1.jpg
head2.jpg

head3.jpg
head4.jpg
head5.jpg
That looks like open-backs.

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #177 of 207

head1.jpg
head2.jpg

head3.jpg
head4.jpg
head5.jpg
Do you have a video or any article about these? Struggling to find any information about them.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #178 of 207
Long shot, but can anyone compare these with something like MSR7B or Beyer's DT700? More generally, can anyone comment on the technical performance of these with the Yaxi pads? They've been a headphone I've been curious about for a while.

Thanks.
I rarely replay on more serious headphone stuff, because I am a person who either wants to love headphones so much I have to use "copium" or hate headphones like 1990pro for being dead, below neutral.

I still rock the Sony MDR M1ST with Yaxi. Brainwaves sheepskin or pleather dont know anymore add too much room for the drivers to feel wrong from soundstage dying to too much bass.
Depending on the setup: Warm amp. neutral amp, Topping A90 level of amp (some say these sound more thin vs others), the Sony MDR M1ST sound dead neutral in its own way. It will never go to a level where you will not enjoy the sound and always offer the right amount of bass. Treble is strong but not the same level as Neumann NDH30 where Sony will pronounce peaks, general volume of treble in songs and pop sounds far more than Neumann NDH30. I lack a good way to explain. NDH30 is dead even in its presentation but dark. Bass is dark but songs can choose to make treble even out the bass so it is not dark. Mids, bass and treble are all on one line. The M1ST try the same but with really well sectioned off bass, mids and treble while sounding natural. Sonys can have low resolution in bass but since the timbre on both is the same except one is dark and the sonys either warm with separated treble or just nothing.
I already noticed this my issue. I have nowhere near enough comparisons for amp dac combos so that I could talk about how good a Sony Minidisc R50 player is which can make me shed tears in no time with good headphones but the issue is Sonys fully separate bass, mids and treble while not sounding off. mids especially vocals are reproduced in such a way I can hear who can sing and who can hide behind a voice changer in idol music. NDH30 reproduce the sound in a similar or same way just from a different perspective by offering high resolution, dark and even frequency response. M1ST can sometimes sound like there is a wall or in other words the ear cups but only when I try super hard. NDH30 offers real life 3D sound which is up to 5 or 6 times the size of the ear cups. A good test is AngelKimi's ASMR with headphones on the ear mic.
The M1ST are equally as good, with a big grain of salt - 3D positioning is good for games but imiging lacks which can be heard in songs from D. R. I. , a hardcore band where the voices are shifted a nose length to the left and Modern Talking even worse in some songs. This can not be notice that well on the hp.
Noise dampening is no real thing but no one will hear your music.

Since I can not really describe things here are the main points:
-Sony MDR M1ST is god awful with standard pads and need burn in for the driver to not peak at 50 db for some reason
-Pads do violently offer peaks which made my tinnitus go up after 11 years agian when playing Phasmophobia but also because I was trying to cope why the headphone is bad without Yaxi Pads
-Bass, Mids, Treble is very well separated, not like on Beyer headphones, it is artificially done but sounds good
-Mids no issues
-Bass low res and early fall off 60-70 db it goes down I would say without being skilled for precise frequency stuff
-Treble can be metalic but not that bad but worse than NDH30 but that one is open

-build: mine squeaks badly but also hartaudio got these from me first from Japan (CDJapan Proxy Shipping) to US then to Germany. Cable is 3.5mm balanced.
-balanced audio is god awful. sux out all frequencies and leaves bass. tested balanced on HD600 -> Fiio Q5S toslink to A90 is my setup
-Yaxi pads need long break in for M1ST version. AWESOME sound. Makes everything sound big, Bass gets fixed but some dont like low bass resolution, mids and treble unaffected excluding violent peaks. Good for gaming, work and other stuff -- bad for loud environment

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #179 of 207
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #180 of 207
Yes, tanks to user akella333 from reddit, here is an article

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/technologies/360VME/

and a video

The headphones I saw/was shown, might be production/retail version for the professional market.

Hey yeah that was me again hah, but yeah this is the first time I'm ever seeing these! It's super interesting that Sony didint talk about them more and how they went under the radar.

And it's fantastic to hear that there's a new model ready for production, can't wait to see what Sony has cooked up. The last time they made an open back was... Decades ago? Or at least a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back