SONY MDR-EX510LP vs Klipsch S4i vs Shure SE215
May 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

verticalraiser

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have already tried SONY MDR-XB40EX ,EX300 and Klipsch X5.
EX300 was decent, MDR-XB40EX was not comfortable in my ear and I start to get head ache so I returned them.
Looking at very good reviews on X5, I returned EX300 and returned bought X5... In many ways I felt EX300 was better.
I am very disappointed with X5. The Bass is non to very low. EX300 was far better.
Well, I am not a musician I am just a music lover... I could see good sounds which EX300 failed to put up, but without Bass I cannot accept X5. So, I am in the market again.
Please help me find the best ear bud under 150.

There are very few reviews on EX510LP. I have good expectations from the SONY's newbie.
and S4i has good reviews so are S4. I am also considering Shure Se215 I would like to buy one of these 3.
I will be using that with my SONY walkman or Iphone 4.
If somebody has used EX510P and any of S4s or Shure SE215. please share your opinions.

I am disappointed searching for good ear buds; please help me finding the best under 150 $

Cheers,

May 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I havn't used the S4i, but I have a pair of S4's that I find extremely comfortable. They are light and have oval shaped silicone tips that really make a difference. I havn't really used any other IEMs in this range so I couldn't give you input on those. Sound quality wise, I think they're decent but not great. I only use them for portable use and I'm happy with them for that, (when I'm at my place though I only on the M50's or the HD600's). they also include a nifty metal carrying case which I thought was great.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I am very disappointed with X5. The Bass is non to very low. EX300 was far better.

I can vouch for verticalraiser's opinion that the MDR-EX510LP has terrible bass capability. If you like any bass laden music like drum and bass / dubstep, these headphones certainly aren't for you. I may have been spoilt having had the Future Sonics Atrio M5's before (best IEM's I've had).

I'll be returning the EX510LP's and will search for something else.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I can vouch for verticalraiser's opinion that the MDR-EX510LP has terrible bass capability. If you like any bass laden music like drum and bass / dubstep, these headphones certainly aren't for you. I may have been spoilt having had the Future Sonics Atrio M5's before (best IEM's I've had).

I'll be returning the EX510LP's and will search for something else.

If you have the EX510LP then I'm sure you'd know whether or not their bass is any good; but he's talking about the Klipsch X5, a BA headphone. If you read his post properly you'd know he actually likes sony products.

To the OP: My uncle owns the EX300 so I borrowed them for a few days and liked them. The EX300 is actually quite balanced. I own the S4 so let me say this: If you like the EX300 you'll probably find the Image S4 to be a bit too boomy. The S4 has big bass and its treble might seem just a bit sibilant and unextended for your tastes. The S4 has a slighty reccessed vocal, but the vocal is clean and uncolored.

The Shure SE215 will have similar bass too the S4, but its vocal will be full/smooth/warm, and forward. Its treble won't be as energetic as the S4. The Shure has a vey smooth sound whereas the S4 is quite dynamic. I haven't tried the EX510LP but if its sound sigature is similar to the EX300 you'll probably prefer the Sony.

Edit: If you like big bass and smooth soundsig/warm forward vocals; go for the SE215. If you like big bass and dynamic (albeit unextended) treble; go for the S4. I really don't know about the EX510LP but if you wan't balanced sound I'd see if you could try them somewhere/find more info on them; or look for something else.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 9
215 are from another league. They are like Sennheiser IE-series, Monster Turbines, Radius.
They are not detail and analytical phones, but they sounds rich, their sound is big like on top earphones. They are very melodical like all other Shure models, very good soundstage, very natural sounding + great with all types of music.
Respect for Shure 215:)

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah the S4 don't really compare to the SE215 when it comes to overall sound quality. Yes it has slightly more extended treble but with less detail and clarity, also the notes are thinner and the sound is overall more veiled; it just sounds like a cheaper headphone, period. SE215 is definitely the superior headphone in all regards except for volume of bass and treble.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 9
I will highly recommend to try Sony EX600 and they are amazingly detailed(Sony new dome type dynamic drivers are superb) even more than the IEMs you listed above with good bass response and can compete with very high end universal IEMs. The other IEMs are also recommended like JVC FX500, SE215, EX510, HJE900, FXC51(cheap but surprisingly great sounding and can compete with other IEMs under $100), JVC FXT90(highly recommended), UE TF10Pro(highly recommended) and GR07(highly recommended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back