SONY MDR-EX1000 color fading out
May 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CodeScripted

100+ Head-Fier
- I got these last week (Brand new, sealed), and I have been using them religiously (Closed to 50-75 hours).

- I notice that the lettering that says "MDR-EX1000" and "JAPAN" in white imprint is fading out.

Dammit!  is that also happening to your pair? Can anyone who owns these IEM confirm?

(I also own MDR-EX700lp (more then 2 years now), and that too sadly is faded. I really hoped SONY would get that fixed this time around)

May 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Yeah, they didn't coat the letters to seal the paint onto the IEMs. Those words will disappears awfully fast.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 19
Yes im also .... i bought them about 2 mon ago if that , and last week i notcied that my white lettering is almost totally dissapeared. look at my forums to read about it ... i too am very disapointed. i also use them regulary too. 500.00? u would think that the lettering would stay on for years.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 19
Just realized that there are several lumps/bumps on the finish along the white letterings 'MDR-EX1000' & 'JAPAN'.

Wonder if this is normal? or due to cosmetic manufacturing? My set is only 2 weeks old, and the wordings have started to fade too.

Maybe I'll go down to my Sony service centre and ask them if I can do an exchange. Unacceptable for their flagship model.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Same here a bunch of crap tried to use the warranty sony said they didnt have notice of this issue so they didnt cover, they also exchanged my cable which was broken
We should contact them lets see if they have notice now

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 19
I noticed it after I used it for 2 days only. You would think a Sony product made in Japan wouldn't have this kind of issue, but they screwed it up for sure.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Same here a bunch of crap tried to use the warranty sony said they didnt have notice of this issue so they didnt cover, they also exchanged my cable which was broken
We should contact them lets see if they have notice now

Where did the cable break? My EX600 cable broke after I had it for only a few months. See the pic here showing where it broke.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 19
Sony service centre has accepted and taken in my earphones. Hope that when they call me 5-7 business days later to collect, it would be a new pair.

If it had happened within 7 days, I could've just exchanged it at the dealer; but it happened exactly 14 days after. Sucks

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Sony service centre has accepted and taken in my earphones. Hope that when they call me 5-7 business days later to collect, it would be a new pair.
If it had happened within 7 days, I could've just exchanged it at the dealer; but it happened exactly 14 days after. Sucks

What's the point to get a new pair which will repeat the same problem (unless you want to sell it)? It's cosmetic only.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 19
If it's only the letterings fading or the imperfections come after months of usage, I'm fine with it.

It's only been 2 weeks and I've only used them only twice with each an hour's usage, as I'm mainly using SE535 LE. The casing finish is rough and some parts are already peeling off and Sony offered a brand new pair, so why not.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
If it's only the letterings fading or the imperfections come after months of usage, I'm fine with it.

It's only been 2 weeks and I've only used them only twice with each an hour's usage, as I'm mainly using SE535 LE. The casing finish is rough and some parts are already peeling off and Sony offered a brand new pair, so why not.

What's the difference that would make whether using for months or for 2 wks? Great Sony will send you a brand new pair (and hopefully they take care of your return shipping fee as well). Then what? Are you going to use it or not? If you still want to use it, the same and exact problem will simply repeat. So what's the point of doing this other than wasting your time?

With that said, I am very disappointed in Sony about this flaw and the "Made in Japan" lettering becomes a laughing stock as it fades quicker than my bowel movement.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 19
My lettering hasn't faded at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back