Sony MDR EX-1000 Disappointment (I Need Help!)
Nov 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sylafari

100+ Head-Fier
So I purchased the Sony MDR EX-1000s about a couple of months ago on that Amazon sale. Its been a couple of months and hundreds of hours in college listening to them, and honestly compared to my LCD-2s, they don't hold a candle to them in any department. I remember the TripleFi's and RE0s even sounding better (Though honestly, I didn't have the LCD-2s when I listened to those and the RE0 is broken while the TripleFi cable broke so that isn't the fairest comparison).

But of course there are reasons why they may not sound as good as they do. I'm not sure if I am getting a perfect fit with the eartips (In fact, pretty sure I'm not). The Logitech Small size tips fit me perfectly and the Sony ear tips just don't seem to fit as the shape and size just differ and I keep choosing between MS and S and SS tips and honestly, they almost all sound  vaguely the same to me except maybe tiny differences in the treble. Another possible reason for the harsh sound is the DAC in my phone but honestly, when plugged into my Schiit Asgard with my Music Streamer II, the same problems occur although it is slightly less.

The bass is perfectly balanced to me in terms of impact and detail. The mids are pretty decent and more forward than the TripleFis. But the huge problem to me is the hot treble and sibilance. Whenever a female vocalist pronounces the "S" sound, a harsh piercing wave crashes into my ears 
mad.gif
, cymbals also sound shrieky and it sort of drives me nuts the most. The IEMs are obviously not suited to Rock music and it shows as it seems they are just missing that clearness for rock as rock tracks sound muddy.

Now I was wondering if their are any other tips that can be used with the IEMs as I love the way they look, the ear hooks are fantastic, and I just feel that if I can tame the treble and have the IEMs resolve a bit more detail, everything will be fine.

Any help is appreciated! 
etysmile.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Your ears are maybe more sensitive to bright upper highs of EX1000 and the new DAPs(like Fuze, Clip, X1060, Nano)will remove this. The other option is to sell them here and buy new IEMs like E-Q7, SE535, IE8, UM3x, SM3 and MTP Gold.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm using a decored shure olive on the ex1000 for a decent fit (although it's no where as good as the um3x or w4 fit)
Does anyone know how to get a decent fit on the ex1000? The L size tips are too small for me (weirdly enough) and I don't have the LL sized ones (where can I get some?).

As for the harsh treble, ex1000's treble to me is a bit sharp. However, I find it much better than dba02 re272 re0 k501 a2000x and even the w4(for some reason, I get more sibilance on the w4 than the ex1000)

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 13
Long burn-in can only calm down some. If it is "I don't like, but it's ok.", you have 50/50 chance to like it. When it is "I try so hard to tolerate it.", sorry, it is time to let go.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Have you tried the larger Sony tips? I use the largest ones they included(LL) with my EX1000s, whereas I use medium hybrids on my other 'phones.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 13
I'll probably looks towards getting a proper fit with other tips as I feel the shape of the Sony tips aren't the best for my ears while the UE tips don't fit on the EX1000s. Than I'll go from there.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 13
May as well give the large Sonys a try since you have them. I had the same issue at first and switching to larger tips sorted it. The Monster Supertips work well with these 'phones as well. Definitely seems like you're having a seal issue.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 13
I just got the Comply Ts-200's (are those the same as the Shure Olives??).  I did have the regular comply's but the fit didn't seem much improved over the Sony tips.  I love the EX1000's and have never had an issue with the treble or sound.  The fit just doesn't seem to have been designed to be completely sound proof.  I get that, and it's a nice option, but the Ts-200's solve that problem for me.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 13
I share your pain regarding fit, the EX1000 were the trickiest fit out of all IEMs I've ever bought. But imo it's worth to keep on trying, since the sibilance you describe is most likely due to bad fit. Did you see the DIY tips from my review (linked in my sig)? In my case the problem wasn't primarily tip size, but some odd skew between nozzle and ear canal, and this tip solution worked for me in the end.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I share your pain regarding fit, the EX1000 were the trickiest fit out of all IEMs I've ever bought. But imo it's worth to keep on trying, since the sibilance you describe is most likely due to bad fit. Did you see the DIY tips from my review (linked in my sig)? In my case the problem wasn't primarily tip size, but some odd skew between nozzle and ear canal, and this tip solution worked for me in the end.

I remember reading up about it a while ago, what combination of tips was it? Looks like Sony + Something else.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 13
With other IEMs I use large Sony hybrids, but these are small ones + one flange of the Head-Direct RE1 biflanges. Maybe your RE0 came with the same biflanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back