Sony MDR-CD770
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 51
LT1363CS8 yep, that's the one.

Well, your CD770 doesn't have fully biocellulose drivers...this will be a bottleneck to trebles fidelity and SS depth. I fully agree that a CD850 kills most $200/300 current phones...but they can easily meet their master
regular_smile .gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:
LT1363CS8 yep, that's the one.

Well, your CD770 doesn't have fully biocellulose drivers...this will be a bottleneck to trebles fidelity and SS depth. I fully agree that a CD850 kills most $200/300 current phones...but they can easily meet their master
regular_smile .gif

Thanks, maybe I'll order 10 make 5 or so up and stick em on ebay!

Well hey show me a headphone in production better than the CD770 and if I haven't already heard/owned it then I'll get it!

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #33 of 51
I've lost interest in current prod headphones
biggrin.gif

I'm still interested in the K702 because it's said to have uber-creamy mids and an even wider SS than the cd3k...but I do need isolation! I'm also interested in the SA5k somehow, it's said to have an even wider PRaT than the cd3k...but its SS would be narrower and isolation is still inexistent, duh.

well you can also try AD8597, this one is said to be a major banger! possibly LM6171 as well...it's even "faster" than LT1363, I'm expecting those 2 opamps. I don't think they'll kill 1363, but ya never know
biggrin.gif

some commercial DAC's come w/ LT1364...not everyone's tone deaf like those Benchmark ppl: http://coemaudio.com.au/sources/DACs/279/

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 51
I've heard them them both, the k701 I listened too over night sounded vast but hollow... imaging the music as a bagel and your in the center, it was wide but only wide, way too hollow and not intimate enough; for instance the artist could be whispering but rather than sounding next to your ear just sounded as if they were in the middle of a room. I also wouldn't call the mids creamy but plastic.

I've heard the SA5K and owned the SA3K for a period of time. I'm really not sure what you refer to by PRaT but the attack, sustain and decay is very accurate; a very fast headphone albeit quiet airy. This excellent speed and airy sound is also it's downfall, I couldn't get into the music, there was no timbre, my head wasn't bobbing... ultimately it's a detailed, accurate headphone but quite boring. I actually mention this phone a little in my initial Z6 review, I am reminded of the detail and musical separation but the closed features makes it less airy and more impactful.

Maybe I should order a couple different ones, I'm taking it any two of the same chip can be mounted on a browndog?

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #35 of 51
we'll have to wait for the baby brothers of the HD800/T1 I guess
beyersmile.png

yup, two on a browndog and you're good to go! get 1363/8597/6171 and you should enjoy yourself
wink_face.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #36 of 51

RE different drivers; yeah I'm going to find the CD1700s and CD3000s when I can.

I should receive a cd1700 next week, and like the cd2k it's indeed using BC diaphragms...but this time they're coated w/ a "Vectran" polymer(unlike the cd3k/r10 apparently), I wonder what that could add to the table? better durability? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=mdr-cd1700+vectran

"diaphragm formed of natural "biocellulose", an organic fibre here sandwiched with Vectran."

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #37 of 51
I dunno if the OP is still alive, but I've checked on my cd1700 the whole diaphragm is BC. Also, the stock ear pads make the sound way too hollow...the ebay cd3k earpads are much tighter.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 51
I'm alive!

I couldn't post for a few months, I asked if I was banned and was told they were looking into it and heard nothing so I didn't bother chasing it up. Truth told I'm just not into headphones much anymore, I'm very happy with my Z6 and have no interest in todays headphones, as it is I can't contribute much to head-fi. Suggesting 30 year old headphones isn't what people want to hear, if they don't come with a red wire or a $1,000 price tag then they aren't worth listening too! :wink:

Happy to hear the ebay pads work well; my rough unshaven face has ripped up these vintage pads and I'm going to have to replace them. Apart from that they work really well, my brother bought some Ultrasone HFI-780s which I used to own previously to receiving my Z6 and I gotta say the soundstage on the CD770s is greater than that of the Ultrasones which I previously thought to be there greatest asset. Today I pretty much use the 770s for ambient, movies and gaming and my Z6 for everything else.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #40 of 51
Same here

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #41 of 51
I'm alive!

I couldn't post for a few months, I asked if I was banned and was told they were looking into it and heard nothing so I didn't bother chasing it up. Truth told I'm just not into headphones much anymore, I'm very happy with my Z6 and have no interest in todays headphones, as it is I can't contribute much to head-fi. Suggesting 30 year old headphones isn't what people want to hear, if they don't come with a red wire or a $1,000 price tag then they aren't worth listening too! :wink:

Happy to hear the ebay pads work well; my rough unshaven face has ripped up these vintage pads and I'm going to have to replace them. Apart from that they work really well, my brother bought some Ultrasone HFI-780s which I used to own previously to receiving my Z6 and I gotta say the soundstage on the CD770s is greater than that of the Ultrasones which I previously thought to be there greatest asset. Today I pretty much use the 770s for ambient, movies and gaming and my Z6 for everything else.
Dude I’d love to hear what headphones you think rock. 30 year old or whatever because I agree with you today’s head game is nuts. I like Fostex th-00 Purple Hearts. Anything you can recommend that is fun and slams like that from the past or that doesn’t cost a fortune? I like a bass heavy headphone. Any help is appreciated. In PM or here either way. Cheers from Italy

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #42 of 51
Dude I’d love to hear what headphones you think rock. 30 year old or whatever because I agree with you today’s head game is nuts. I like Fostex th-00 Purple Hearts. Anything you can recommend that is fun and slams like that from the past or that doesn’t cost a fortune? I like a bass heavy headphone. Any help is appreciated. In PM or here either way. Cheers from Italy

Hey today I use the Sony MDR-Z1R with TA-ZH1ES dac. Perhaps a similar sound for cheaper can be had with Denon D2000 or similar bass-heavy, closed headphones.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #44 of 51
Hey today I use the Sony MDR-Z1R with TA-ZH1ES dac. Perhaps a similar sound for cheaper can be had with Denon D2000 or similar bass-heavy, closed headphones.
No more love for your old Sony CD headphones? I had the Z1R before and the bass is way too bloated for my liking so I sold it afterward. The CD3000 soundstage is also superior to that of the Z1R. I, of course, rewire, upgrade cable, all my classic Sony headphones for balanced connection with dual entry Moon Audio Black Dragon. The only classic Sony that I am afraid to touch is my R10. I reterminated the cable with Furutech 4.4 mm jack but that’s it.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #45 of 51
I, of course, rewire, upgrade cable, all my classic Sony headphones for balanced connection with dual entry Moon Audio Black Dragon. The only classic Sony that I am afraid to touch is my R10. I reterminated the cable with Furutech 4.4 mm jack but that’s it.

I almost made a new topic but since this one bumped up to the top, it's a nice occasion.

Since you seem to have a lot of experience with those older Sony cans, I just got some really nice condition CD1700, but they have a debilitating channel imbalance issue. Anything under the 250Hz region seems to drop off entirely (actually not quite but it sounds like it when listening to music) in the left ear, and the left channel is also lower volume across the board. Is that something that could be because of the cable? (this one is completely original and has its base attached cable) Or should I just cut my losses and look for another pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back