Sony MDR-A44L revisted = WOW
Jan 2, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #76 of 132
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
You bet, Jude.

smily_headphones1.gif

Chych, just email me your mailing address.

Ah, groovy. We're all set then.

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #77 of 132
Yes, I shall be the one with the low end tube source (MG Head DT/SET) testing them out, excellent
smily_headphones1.gif
I also have a CMOY variant to test them out (then again, who doesn't?).

I wonder how nervous Vertigo is
rolleyes.gif
These reviews will determine A44 adoption...

And RickG, e-mail is on its way!

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #78 of 132
Vertigo-1 you have never heard the HD600's at their maximum performance. Believe me, no offence, but the RKV drives the HD600's like ****. And thats the truth. They simply DO NOT mesh well the RKV. Maybe it has something to do with that malfunctioning headphone jack. I don't know why they sound so bad out of the RKV although the RKV drives other headphones VERY well. I think the melos is a better amp overall. You should get one and check it out, especially if detail and transparency are your focus. HD600's are very, very near to the R10's when driven by the Melos. They are transparent and very detailed but still quite musical.

Jan 2, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #79 of 132
Heh...I have no problem with scrutiny...I was just worried that this thread would end up like ummmm...this?

Oh well...if you dish it, you gotta be prepared to take it.

Jan 2, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #80 of 132
ai0tron, I don't think I'd like the HD-600 even if I could hear it from your Melos...it's just the headphone's sound in itself that I don't like. And I have heard the HD-600s from things other than the RKV before, such as a Home, Max, McCormack, and that EMP which is supposed to especially go well with the HD-600s. I still couldn't come to like the headphone itself, not so much as the entire amp + headphone combo.
confused.gif
Call me spoilt by the R10s perhaps.

I'm not "nervous" at all, or worried about "scrutiny"...I know what I'm hearing. Not much for me to be worried about on my end, as I personally like them and think they sound "good"...and if others try it out, I know I'm not breaking their wallets either. I look forward to hearing future comments about the A44s.

BTW, don't forget to break the A44s in for a day or two if you bought em new...

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #82 of 132
Quote:

I'll be glad to send my pair to someone as well. The best amp I have for dynamic phones is an EarMax Pro and that may not be sufficient for these cans.

I would be glad to do a listen to them using my McCormack MID and OBH-11/OBH-2. I can compare them to my MSPro's, MSII's and V6/7506.

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #83 of 132
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

I would be glad to do a listen to them using my McCormack MID and OBH-11/OBH-2. I can compare them to my MSPro's, MSII's and V6/7506.

Lol, morphsci! My comment was really "tongue in cheek".....we're talking about some little earphones here, not some really hard to drive cans. I'll be sending them to chych and he can send them on to you, if you like.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #84 of 132
Quote:

Lol, morphsci! My comment was really "tongue in cheek".....were talking about some little earphones here, not some really hard to drive cans. I'll be sending them to chych and he can send them on to you, if you like.

smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif
Maybe I should wire them directly to the Adcom Monoblocks also ?

Jan 2, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #85 of 132
Vertigo,

Don't ever damper or suppress your headphone enthusiasm because of contrary opinions. It's refreshing. If at a later date your opinion changes please post.

Jan 2, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #86 of 132
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
can someone help me get these worms vertigo spilled back in the can?
rolleyes.gif

duncan:
i have the old a22l and a d-777 player like you. i actually liked that combo, although the bass got kinda of wooly after a while. can you tell me what the a44l are like with the d-777 (and no external amp, using the remote, with the d-777 volume turned up to between 6 & 8 and attenuated with the remote)? thanks, man.

Okay, this is going to be slightly biased seeing that this is a lot Quieter
eek.gif
than i normally listen (at full volume on both unit and remote...)

The bass on the '44s isn't as thick as the '22s, whether there is less of it, or it is just better proportioned i cannot really comment... it is definetly crisper though

The midrange of the '44s is similar to that of the E888s (vs MX500s) it is very smooth, almost to the point of silkiness, whereas the 22s appear slightly colder (admittedly more like the sound i like) - The 44's appear more intimate

Treble, that is (to me) a slightly different story though... Where the 22s lay it all before you in a wide open expanse, the 44s appear quite closed in (also like the E888s) this adds to the feeling of warmth that these things create

Spacially, the 44s seem a lot more adept than the 22s at creating a soundstage, the 22s seem kinda closed in

Not necessarily better than the 22s, but a very different interpretation of the music, almost although not quite to the same extremity as a E888 vs EX70 debate

I would strongly recommend that anyone who does get these 'phones should try Radioheads "Street Spirit [Fade Out]" from the album "The Bends"... The warmth and soundstage is uncanilly good

Against the E888s the A44s almost have the same midrange warmth BUT rightly or wrongly have a slightly sweeter top end!!

Bearing in mind, as Redshifter will all too happily tell you, the D777 is a cut above 95% of the competition on the PCDP market, so maybe my views are biased... Only your ears can decide!?

Jan 2, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #87 of 132
duncan,
thank you!
cool.gif
that was a great comparison, especially considering i have the a22 and e888 and use them with my d-777.
Quote:

Okay, this is going to be slightly biased seeing that this is a lot Quieter than i normally listen (at full volume on both unit and remote...)

whoa, that's pretty loud! don't hurt your ears.

thanks again, i'll think i'll pick these up.

Jan 2, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #88 of 132
Actually Redshifter... I've been listening to these for the past two hours, and... just looked at the volume control on the D777, and its only on THREE!!

They're more than loud enough at this volume... Kinda a new experience to me listening to things quietly
tongue.gif

(I'll be honest, and warn you that the D777 can make them sound a little harsh if you push the volume too far (8-10 on main, and full on the remote volume controls but for $14, these are certainly still pretty darned good value)

Holy Crap do the EX70s sound bassy now!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
and, where is the midrange?!?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Damn you Vertigo!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #90 of 132
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I just have to say you're all crazy. Now where was I? Oh yeah, enjoying my V600s.
tongue.gif

Tsk-tsk, yeah... right.
mad.gif

Today to and from work I was listening to (and enjoying) - not the V600s - but *coughSonycough* the E821LPs!!

That's no piece of crap... this is a piece of crap!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back