Sony MDR-7520
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,401 of 2,535
Also, would recommend the MDR-Z7 if found for good price. They have good build and comfort, very non-fatiguing sound. Sonically,open cans such as the HD650 and LCD2 will be ahead in certain areas, but for a closed can the Z7 is quite good.

You've already identified the SRH1540, but the 940 and 840 are quite good as well. 1540 is more lush and deep though, definitely no sharp highs. 940 is the brightest of the bunch.

For Beyerdynamic check out the DT1770, I haven't heard that one but supposedly they got it right in so far as bringing the best of the Tesla driver along with a non-fatiguing sound. i've heard the Amiron is even better in that regard but it is open.

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,402 of 2,535
I also forgot to mention, that you may not need the O2 now if you are solely using the 7520. Seriously these are incredibly easy to power headphones, and despite what you read here on head-fi a dedicated amp isn’t going to bring some missing magic to headphones that are this efficient. I imagine you have a decent sound card? Even small units from Native Instruments can power this. It will sound loud and full out of an iPad or out of any music equipment.
the headphones arrived in the mail today, i am literally giving it my first listen as i type this

all i have to say is clarity!! i really like the sound and i can "feel" the bass for the lack of a better word..

yeah in hindsight the o2 might of been a bit of a waste considering i have the mdr 7520's just plugged into my laptops regular headphone jack (using a standard built in computer sound card) and i can't imagine needing it much louder than this !

also these are really comfortable, i don't even feel it on my ears.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,403 of 2,535
the headphones arrived in the mail today, i am literally giving it my first listen as i type this

all i have to say is clarity!! i really like the sound and i can "feel" the bass for the lack of a better word..

yeah in hindsight the o2 might of been a bit of a waste considering i have the mdr 7520's just plugged into my laptops regular headphone jack (using a standard built in computer sound card) and i can't imagine needing it much louder than this !

also these are really comfortable, i don't even feel it on my ears.

Congrats! Glad you picked the 7520. Such a versatile headphone. Yes, the bass is pretty awesome on these. I actually got to try a SubPac this past weekend - works incredibly well, it can feel like you are sitting in a car with 12” subs or it can be dialed down just to give you a bit of a live feel.

Yeah, maybe you can return the O2? Keep it if you are planning to get headphones like the HD650 which is 300ohm. But even some newer Sennheisers like the hd660s and hd700 are only 150ohm and could be powered fairly well by a mobile.

Looking forward to hearing your full impressions.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,404 of 2,535
i just sold my sonys to someone on here...am now listening (rarely) to the Fostex th x00 Ebony.
man does the lower end just kick on those...tons of air....wow...no mid bass hump that i can
determine so far.

try some of these tracks below...it so enjoyable listening to those bottom end skins being hit.
RUSH R40 -- A Tribute to Neil Peart by ‪Paiste‬ artist Joel Stevenett

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,405 of 2,535
I ended up choosing the Sony MDR-7520 and I received these headphones a few days ago. These are amazing headphones! I love how well they handle all of the different musical genres I throw at them. The 7520 is also the most detailed headphone I've listened to yet. I do want to get into more specifics about the sound but there's something I want to discuss, so I'll talk about it in another post.

There is one issue that has been bothering me: the treble is quite harsh. It should be noted that I listen to my music at very low volumes. With many modern pop, hip hop and EDM productions, often the kick drum is very harsh to my ears. The most frustrating part is I want to turn the volume up a bit to be able to even feel the bass in these tracks, but I can't without it being too fatiguing. And even at the VERY low volumes I'm talking about, it's still uncomfortable to listen to.

Going back through this thread, I noticed a few people recommending the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads. Apparently it softens the treble slightly. I'd appreciate more comfort around the ears as well since I'll be wearing these for most of the day.

Are the DT250 pads worth trying or will I just have to put up with the way the treble is and hope the harshness fades a little bit over time?

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2,406 of 2,535
I’d say it just takes a bit to get used to. The treble is overall pretty balanced but doesn’t hold back on the detail.

Some electronic tracks are mastered pretty hot, and you may want to try out a range of other recordings.

You could try the 250 pads. It took a while but eventually my 7520 became more comfortable so I just stuck with the original pads. One of the advantages of the 7520 is that you don’t need to turn it up too loud to hear everything.

What headphones were you using before?

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,407 of 2,535
I’d say it just takes a bit to get used to. The treble is overall pretty balanced but doesn’t hold back on the detail.

Some electronic tracks are mastered pretty hot, and you may want to try out a range of other recordings.

You could try the 250 pads. It took a while but eventually my 7520 became more comfortable so I just stuck with the original pads. One of the advantages of the 7520 is that you don’t need to turn it up too loud to hear everything.

What headphones were you using before?

I was using the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 before I bought the 7520, but I was switching back and forth with my Shure SRH840 as well. I also own the Beyerdynamic DT990 and ATH-M40x.

In regards to the treble, I've realised I'm still just adjusting to the sound, I've only had them for a few days. And I know from my other headphones that it can actually take me around a month if not longer to get used to.

Still, I can't help but feel I just might not be able to adjust to the treble for some of the music I listen to. I'm listening to the album 4x4=12 by Deadmau5 right now and the drum kicks are very loud on most songs and I'm listening at a very low volume. This extends to pretty much most of the electronic music I listen to as well. On some tracks I have to turn my volume down so low I can't even hear/feel the bass anymore.

I decided to listen to one of the songs you used in your headphone comparison thread which is Astrix - Deep Jungle Walk and it's the same thing, once the kick drum starts at 1:22, it becomes very hard to listen to. It's pounding my ear drums and my volume is literally whisper quiet.

I know I'm talking about the treble like it's a dealbreaker, it's not, the treble sounds very natural and drums sounds fantastic. It's just hard on my ears, particularly in electronic tracks. On top of that, my ears are still adjusting afterall.

I'll tell you one thing though, I already loved the sound literally within the first 20 minutes of trying them for the first time. They give me that sound I remember when I used to listen through stereo speakers many years ago, and I've been wanting that for a very long time. I always felt with all the other headphones I've used that it just didn't feel like how I remembered sound to be.

I've watched a few TV Shows/Movies and it's been amazing. I'm hearing all these sounds I've never heard before. Not only that, but speech is INCREDIBLY clear, even when a lot of other sounds are going on.

Malfunkt, I also wanted to thank you because without seeing your review I wouldn't have even considered buying them. Thank you to kid vic as well, as I wouldn't have even known these headphones existed.

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,408 of 2,535
@limboimatic good to hear. I used to own the 840 as well. Very good headphone that wasn’t fatiguing at all.

I just received a Sennheiser HD630VB yesterday. Really enjoying it. It has adjustable bass to dial it back a bit depending on listening volume and music type.

I’ll be reviewing it in depth against the rest of my sets.

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,409 of 2,535
Hello,
limboimatic

I understand your problem about treble. For instance, I can't listen to my former preferred song: Babymetal - Headbanger, — because Suzuka's voice hurts my hearing on 7520. I also don't find much enjoyment in SOAD tracks. Before, when I had the Pioneer HDJ2000, the sound was a lot more mild and ... much less proper and truthful. I mean, maybe your music is just too harshly recorded and mastered. I mean, 7520 are kinda monitor headphones in the first instance... Well, at least you are now able to spot properly made music. For sure, source is very important, what are you listening them on?

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #2,410 of 2,535
Hello,
limboimatic

I understand your problem about treble. For instance, I can't listen to my former preferred song: Babymetal - Headbanger, — because Suzuka's voice hurts my hearing on 7520. I also don't find much enjoyment in SOAD tracks. Before, when I had the Pioneer HDJ2000, the sound was a lot more mild and ... much less proper and truthful. I mean, maybe your music is just too harshly recorded and mastered. I mean, 7520 are kinda monitor headphones in the first instance... Well, at least you are now able to spot properly made music. For sure, source is very important, what are you listening them on?

Schiit Magni 2

Yeah, I think it's largely because I'm not used to hearing such detailed treble. Also, today I came to the realisation my ears just are sensitive to certain frequencies, regardless of headphones. The impact of the kick drum I was talking about is loud to my ear on pretty much any headphone I've tried.

I'm used to headphones on the bright side as well, because I was using the MSR7 for a couple of years, yet I never had problems with the cymbals being too much with the exception of a couple albums. Honestly, I think I just need more time to adjust to the sound. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the source, it'd be cool if I could bump up the sub-bass a little but it's okay the way it is.

By the way, I decided to plug in my Shure SRH840 last night and if you could believe it, they actually sound tinny in comparison. And cymbals were honestly just as annoying, so I think again it's just a matter of my ears not being used to the detail.

EDIT: I think it might be sinus related. I'm listening to music I could barely handle yesterday and it honestly sounds fine. I happened to be extra sensitive to noise the past couple of days so that's probably why. Now I feel silly for making comments about the treble.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,413 of 2,535
I could understand the preference for the Sine. It is more tuned for music listening and enjoyment. The 7520 pushes everything in front of you - excellent detail retrieval , perfect for monitoring vocals/voices and percussion. The bass of the 7520 can become too much after a while depending on volume/ music.

Recently I picked up a HD630VB. It is pretty much replacing the 7520 as a portable closed back and even my Denons for gaming/computer work. I enjoy the bass on the 7520 but the 630vb can match its kick and then some with better sub bass extension. Best of all I can dial the bass back when required.

To be clear the 630VB can’t replicate what the 7520 is designed to do as a professional tool. But I’ve been using the 7520 as a portable where it is susceptibile to wind noise.

I also have a hd250 which is great for music production. Over the winter break I’ll be working on music and it will help determine now if I keep the 7520., hd250 or d2000

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #2,414 of 2,535
I could understand the preference for the Sine. It is more tuned for music listening and enjoyment. The 7520 pushes everything in front of you - excellent detail retrieval , perfect for monitoring vocals/voices and percussion. The bass of the 7520 can become too much after a while depending on volume/ music.

Recently I picked up a HD630VB. It is pretty much replacing the 7520 as a portable closed back and even my Denons for gaming/computer work. I enjoy the bass on the 7520 but the 630vb can match its kick and then some with better sub bass extension. Best of all I can dial the bass back when required.

To be clear the 630VB can’t replicate what the 7520 is designed to do as a professional tool. But I’ve been using the 7520 as a portable where it is susceptibile to wind noise.

I also have a hd250 which is great for music production. Over the winter break I’ll be working on music and it will help determine now if I keep the 7520., hd250 or d2000
Tell your initial impression about these three, sir, please.

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,415 of 2,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back