Sony MDR-7520
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,416 of 2,535
Oh, dayum... You praise these D2000 so a lot. This is probably your type of headphones. Which is interesting, because you seem to haven't still heard the flagship D7200. They might give you a simply extraterrestrial experience. As for me, 7520 are providing me such experience, but I will never stop searching for more and I think soon I'll spend much time listening to
Denon D7200
V-Moda Crossfade M-100
Sony MDR-1A
Oppo PM3
Beyerdynamic T5p
Beyerdynamic DT 1990
Denon AH-MM400
ATH W5000
ATH-AD2000X
Audeze Sine
LCD 2
Hifiman 560
Pioneer HDJ X10

And share my thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #2,417 of 2,535
Oh, dayum... You praise these D2000 so a lot. This is probably your type of headphones. Which is interesting, because you seem to haven't still heard the flagship D7200. .

I probably would like the 7200, but I'm not convinced it would revelatory. From experience, newer and pricier doesn't translate to better. The D2000 was from a time before high headphone pricing, but the technology being employed is practically the same as what is being used in the 7200. The tuning, for the D2000 is also from a time when it was aimed squarely at professional / audiophile market. As such it has a quite revealing tuning to it. The highs are accented and brighter than the rest of me headphones. It is a bit north of neutral but perfect for well recorded music.

Having heard the TH-900, I very much liked it but couldn't justify the expense. It didn't feel that substantial above the D2000, though it may be to others. Also, I have one of those golden variants of original LCD2s. It surpasses both TH900, D2000 and likely 7200 overall.

Listening to my D2000s at the moment and they are great! Such a great balance. Would be great to hear more of your impression @Comrakoff. Glad you are enjoying the 7520!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,418 of 2,535
Hello, in which terms Sine is better than 7520 in your opinion?

I would say in overall accuracy... it's ability to deliver ultra clean low bass and delicate highs with authority without sounding loose at all. It just has the groove factor dialed right in where you can't help but tap your feet and do a little dance. 7520 is good, don't get me wrong but the Sine is just a phenomenal headphone with their cipher cable even plugged into an ipod touch. it also delivers a much more believable soundstage with excellent instrument localization and not inside your head.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,419 of 2,535
I've been listening to these headphones for a couple of weeks now, and as great as they are, I don't think I am happy with them.

I have to admit something. I don't think I did enough research and/or asked enough questions before buying the 7520, and I feel silly because Malfunkt gave me plenty of other options to consider.

Let's just say I think they do almost everything right, except one thing: They lack deep sub-bass extension. From what I can tell, the 7520 rolls off around 50hz, but may roll off even earlier.

Why is this a problem? Well, I listen to a lot of metalcore/hardcore music that utilise "bass drops". Even though they may start at a higher frequency (say 80 hz) the frequency goes down all the way to 20hz. And a lot of the time they begin at under 40hz, meaning I don't feel the punch when they are used.

Also, in most modern hip hop and pop music, you get this really loud thump from the impact of a kick drum, but no sub-bass to back it up. This is very fatiguing and also quite boring.

Here are a couple of examples.

In this metalcore song, at approx 2:26, there is a big bass drop. I am not able to feel it at all on the 7520. Yet, my friend who owns a HyperX Cloud headset, which you can literally get for $50 here, is able to feel it with no problems at all.

In this hip hop song, where the entire beat relies heavily on sub-bass throughout the entire track, I am unable to feel anything. It is extremely unenjoyable.

This is the dilemma I'm in. I don't just want any random headphone that is capable of reproducing sub-bass, because I want a headphone that is detailed and cares for the rest of the frequency range. I really hate a recessed sounding mid range.

I still have time to return these headphones, but I wanted to hear your opinions and maybe if you can suggest another headphone that is more suitable for my tastes.

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,420 of 2,535
I've been listening to these headphones for a couple of weeks now, and as great as they are, I don't think I am happy with them.

I have to admit something. I don't think I did enough research and/or asked enough questions before buying the 7520, and I feel silly because Malfunkt gave me plenty of other options to consider.

Let's just say I think they do almost everything right, except one thing: They lack deep sub-bass extension. From what I can tell, the 7520 rolls off around 50hz, but may roll off even earlier.

Why is this a problem? Well, I listen to a lot of metalcore/hardcore music that utilise "bass drops". Even though they may start at a higher frequency (say 80 hz) the frequency goes down all the way to 20hz. And a lot of the time they begin at under 40hz, meaning I don't feel the punch when they are used.

Also, in most modern hip hop and pop music, you get this really loud thump from the impact of a kick drum, but no sub-bass to back it up. This is very fatiguing and also quite boring.

Here are a couple of examples.

In this metalcore song, at approx 2:26, there is a big bass drop. I am not able to feel it at all on the 7520. Yet, my friend who owns a HyperX Cloud headset, which you can literally get for $50 here, is able to feel it with no problems at all.

In this hip hop song, where the entire beat relies heavily on sub-bass throughout the entire track, I am unable to feel anything. It is extremely unenjoyable.

This is the dilemma I'm in. I don't just want any random headphone that is capable of reproducing sub-bass, because I want a headphone that is detailed and cares for the rest of the frequency range. I really hate a recessed sounding mid range.

I still have time to return these headphones, but I wanted to hear your opinions and maybe if you can suggest another headphone that is more suitable for my tastes.

i have to disagree with you, i listen to Edm & hip hop almost solely , and these things hit low's unlike any other headphone i have ever auditioned and i have tried almost all of them, especially the sennheisers,

the truth is there is millions of headphones out there, if you are on a quest to the find "the holy grail" of all of them , it will drive your head in because every message board you read, every thread you look through will have claims of one being better than the other, the key is to find one you can settle with, i think i have with the 7520's , however if you are not happy , good luck on your search.

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,421 of 2,535
no actually, @limbiomatic, you are correct in a sense. They do have sub-bass extension, but it rolls off (or creates the perception of it) after their considerable bass hump. Because of the bass hump it is somewhat difficult to notice the subbass.

A flatter headphone such as the D2000 or LCD2C (or in my case LCD2 rev1) the sub-bass is very noticeable, but there is not the same "punch". Arguably, the MDR7520 has too much punch for regular balanced listening, but truly they are a professional tool, rather than for regular music listening.

With my Sennheiser HD630VB, the sub-bass texture and extension is as deep / deeper than the Denon D2000 or THX00 but has a bit of the kick of the MDR-7520. Best of all, you can dial the bass to a very neutral or to be a bit monstrous. Clarity is awesome. Frequency curve isn't 'perfect' in a strict sense of neutrality and balance - that I'll give to my vintage HD250 Linears. However, the 630VB have a bit better technicalities, awesome depth, resolution, and control.

You may want to experiment with EQ. I can say that the 7520 has very good powerhandling (as does the 630VB). You can push the driver considerably, and maybe even out the bass hump may allow the sub-bass to be more present.

Impressions on the 630VB here and after:
https://head-fi.org/threads/sennhei...irst-impressions.766311/page-36#post-13922894

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,422 of 2,535
Thank you for for your replies.

@DazedNconfused Yes, the 7520 hits the low notes very well. However, I don't get the sense of that low end rumble and feel which I want. Regarding the holy grail comment, I'm not looking for the perfect headphone because I don't have that kind of money to spend. I am looking for suggestions of headphones around the same price range as the 7520, though. I do agree with what you said about message boards and I have learned my lesson not to buy headphones online. The only way to really know for sure is to go to a headphone store in person.

@Malfunkt How do you feel about the HD630VB in terms of comfort? They look somewhat bulky but more importantly I cannot handle heavy headphones, and I did see quite a few comments about them being a bit heavy. For contrast, the SRH840 is on the verge of being heavy for me.

The HD630VB does look very nice. The variable bass dial does seem like it would be perfect for me, since I dislike using EQ. I know that may seem short-sided of me but I personally can't stand Software EQ as it always adds this kind of artificial layer to the sound. I haven't had experience with actual hardware that has EQ settings.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,423 of 2,535
Thank you for for your replies.

@Malfunkt How do you feel about the HD630VB in terms of comfort? They look somewhat bulky but more importantly I cannot handle heavy headphones, and I did see quite a few comments about them being a bit heavy. For contrast, the SRH840 is on the verge of being heavy for me.

The HD630VB does look very nice. The variable bass dial does seem like it would be perfect for me, since I dislike using EQ. I know that may seem short-sided of me but I personally can't stand Software EQ as it always adds this kind of artificial layer to the sound. I haven't had experience with actual hardware that has EQ settings.

They are more comfortable than my 7520s were initially, not as much clamp. Pads are great quality, but yes the weight might be a deal breaker for you. They are around 400g but it depends on headshape.

My Denon D2000 are more comfortable, but are strictly an at home headphone. Their design is pretty similar to the TH-6xx, but I believe it has better quality pads. The Fostex TH-600,610, and 900 also have better pads than I believe the Massdrop edition but you may need to check on that. Still, the D2000 and Th-series have a bit of a sharper treble spike. The HD630VB does not have this. Overall, it is a bit meatier yet still very clear.

Comfy closed backs that have bass? Hmm, my Denon AH-D600s were the most comfortable headphones, my first pair were very good. Not the best in total terms of accuracy, but fun. The Logitech UE6000 can sometimes be found surprisingly cheap. I've bought 3, each for $45! Gave them all away, as my ears are too large for their pads. But they actaully were very good quality. A very dark headphone with very robust bass. Great for the genres you mentioned. Also pretty light and comfy pads. Sound quality actually was very clear, got a good review even from Tyll at Innerfidelity. They are darker than the 840s but with more bass. Also Meze Neo may work for you? They look pretty comfortable.

You may want to consult the bass thread here. though it is for head rattling bass,

https://head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

there are some discussions around more audiophile bass here. https://head-fi.org/threads/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii.715697/

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,424 of 2,535
I've had a listening experience about 11 days ago (because an immidiate thought-making is meaningless due to emotions pouring over any edge)
Unfortunately I couldn't have listened to each of my preferable headphones.

First in my list were OPPO PM3.
What about PM3 is that these are really, really nice headphones with warm neutral sound and despite it's orthodynamic it's got dem bass. Not too much, for sure. Overall representation is so accurate and non-fatiguing. The problem is it's not very fun to listen headphone to my taste.

Secondary was Audeze Sine. God, these are nice. Sound signature is so similar to PM3. They seemed to me a bit more accurate in terms of stage reproduction and instruments separation. They sound ... I dunno ... The best word I can describe is they sound elite. Treble is treble, but not too much. Bass is bass, but so light and soft. These are too neutral and boring headphones for me.

Thirdly I listened to the HD630VB. I'm upset to say, I was disappointed. As I expected, this bass-adjustment feature played a dirty trick with bass naturalness. It sounds either muffled and dirty or just non-existing. Very hipster feature. The whole sound panorama and soundstage seemed a bit inaccurate to me.

Next were the Beyerdynamic T5p. I've always been so sceptical to Beyerdynamic headphones and for a reason. These sound so-o-o-o strange, like the bass is bulky but undetailed and unnatural. The soundstage is plain. Surprisingly, they are very uncomfortable.

Denon AH MM400 are quite bass-heavy, comfortwise almost same as 7520 but soundwise worse due to a lower soundstage.

Final Audio Desing Piano Forte X are ... unlistenable.

Hifiman HE560. Very nice! Extremely detailed, very wide soundstage, yet very, very shallow. The bass is present, it's quite little, but in most cases enough. Unfortunately again, not my type of sound, too little bass and too shallow soundstage.

I've also tried the ATH MSR7 and they sounded very similar to the 7520 with the exception of some aspects due to which they aren't as good as the 7520. Such as less details, sound (esp bass) less natural and so on.
Sony MDR Z1R sounded absolutely spectacular, 10 Tylls out of 10. I'd buy them if I had tons of money bags.

Each headphone I tested on the TA-ZH1ES.
Compared to my SMSL M9, the 7520 from TA-ZH1ES sounded more bassy across the entire range. The sound was more full, and treble was absolutely smooth and there were no even any allusion to sibilants at all.
Everything is only my IMHO. Thank you for reading, if you have questions I'll answer them with a great pleasure.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,425 of 2,535
@Comrakoff sorry to hear you didn’t like the HD630vb. They measure extremely well and almost free of distortion, certainly not muffled to my ears. :/

Are you keeping the 7520 for now?

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,426 of 2,535
@Comrakoff sorry to hear you didn’t like the HD630vb. They measure extremely well and almost free of distortion, certainly not muffled to my ears. :/

Are you keeping the 7520 for now?
Yes, sure. I don't find any better phone than my 7520 even worth twice as much. Pioneer HDJ 2000MK2 and X10 (not 100% sure tho) are the massive setback soundwise compared to 7520. But they're a lot more fashionably looking :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #2,427 of 2,535
If anyone has a relatively new or good condition set of stock pads for the 7520 I would be VERY interested in buying them off you.

Tried 5 different types of replacement pads (DT250, Brainwavz Hm5, Shure 840, etc.) and none of them come close to retaining the original sound of these headphones - especially in the low frequency range. It's really unfortunate stock pad replacements are so hard to come by.

I will probably sell my current set and buy a new pair if I can't find replacements. So if anyone is interested in a good deal on a used pair, without stock pads, feel free to PM me.

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,428 of 2,535
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Genui...d=252259010074&_trksid=p2385738.c100694.m4598

Hopefully that mess above works as a link. These headphone pads are fantastic. They aren't so think they alter the sound. The leather is decent quality (if a bit thin) and soft. They look more like the pads that come with the 7506's than what's pictured, but these are by far the best pads I have found for these headphones. They are very comfortable as well.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,429 of 2,535
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Genuine-Leather-Cushion-Ear-Pads-For-Sony-MDR-Z1000-7520-ZX700-Headphone/252259010074?var=551091357020&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20161006002618&meid=dd9d4e7b7bee447facd92a0fc6b18820&pid=100694&rk=14&rkt=30&sd=252259010074&_trksid=p2385738.c100694.m4598

Hopefully that mess above works as a link. These headphone pads are fantastic. They aren't so think they alter the sound. The leather is decent quality (if a bit thin) and soft. They look more like the pads that come with the 7506's than what's pictured, but these are by far the best pads I have found for these headphones. They are very comfortable as well.

Thanks for heads up Jamiroquai - put an order in for the ones you mentioned. Hopefully they arrive before June since they're coming from China! I did however just try out the Shure 940 pads. These are MUCH closer to the original tone. Not exact, but much better than the others I've tried. They also have close to the same density, thickness and weight as the stock pads. The problem with pads like the DT250 is that they are extremely light (weight and density). I think this completely destroys the low end, as it sounds like all the bass is being ported through the foam and out the sides, defeating the exceptionally tight bass control of the stock pads. I'm really surprised anyone has endorsed them as a good replacement - those pads turn a $500 headphone into something less accurate than a $100 set. Again, thanks for the heads up, will report back once I get the ones you suggested and try them out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back