Sony MDR-7520
Nov 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,862 of 2,535
The only Sony's I have (or have ever tried for that matter) are the vintage MDR-V7's and MDR-777's. I pretty much love them, and this has only enhanced my lust for the 7520's. Do these suckers ever go on sale though?

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,863 of 2,535
  search this thread, starfly has offered a solution

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the twine around/the lubrication inside the gimbals. I've taken care of that problem already with lithium grease. I'm referring to farther up where the cups rotate slightly from front to back along the joint where the headband meets the cup arm.

In searches, the last post I saw starfly make in regards to the joint I circled in red speculates on placing something there, but I can't find an indication he's tried anything.

The only Sony's I have (or have ever tried for that matter) are the vintage MDR-V7's and MDR-777's. I pretty much love them, and this has only enhanced my lust for the 7520's. Do these suckers ever go on sale though?

Sometimes B&H has them practically new for $250. That's where I got mine.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,864 of 2,535

Thanks. Do you know if there is a way that you can you get notified when one comes available?

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,865 of 2,535

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the twine around/the lubrication inside the gimbals. I've taken care of that problem already with lithium grease. I'm referring to farther up where the cups rotate slightly from front to back along the joint where the headband meets the cup arm.

In searches, the last post I saw starfly make in regards to the joint I circled in red speculates on placing something there, but I can't find an indication he's tried anything.

My misunderstanding, so sorry!

I did not realize this other joint was also subject to creaking.  That looks like a bear of a joint and seems to be sealed.  Not sure if one can open the joint by loosening the screws in the band beside it or if there are some screws in the openings beneath it.  Seems like one may have to take the cups off of the pivots  to get at it.  I am not brave enough to give it a go though.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,867 of 2,535
They've got them here, too. Factory refurbished, but I got my 7520s from them and they're perfect. The seller will haggle, too. Right now they're $255.

http://www.audiotopia.com/Sony-MDR-7520-Professional-Headphones-FACTORY-REFURB/dp/B004Z58VZ2

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,868 of 2,535
  I would just twist it to one side and put some lub on the shiny flat part. Twist to the other direction and lub the the other flat spot. Wipe off the excess.

I did just what John57 said and it works ok. I have had creeking in both joints as well. and sometimes I cant even eat with them on with out hearing click click from the headphone. I do know that I may not have the propoer lubricant, so it does last for a while but after a month or so starts again. but they dont sell the right lubricant here and I cant order it per say as they wont ship it.... rock and a hard place....

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,871 of 2,535

I did just what John57 said and it works ok. I have had creeking in both joints as well. and sometimes I cant even eat with them on with out hearing click click from the headphone. I do know that I may not have the propoer lubricant, so it does last for a while but after a month or so starts again. but they dont sell the right lubricant here and I cant order it per say as they wont ship it.... rock and a hard place....

Try tying some string around the area marked by the red circle. I had creaks in the area marked by the blue circle (and probably that's actually where the creaking is originating, as I first thought it was the red circle but eventually discovered it really was the blue circle) and tightly tied some string around it (don't use thin string, but a slightly thicker string such as twine). That limited the ease of mobility for the cups, but also eliminated creaking altogether. Try it.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,872 of 2,535

Try tying some string around the area marked by the red circle. I had creaks in the area marked by the blue circle (and probably that's actually where the creaking is originating, as I first thought it was the red circle but eventually discovered it really was the blue circle) and tightly tied some string around it (don't use thin string, but a slightly thicker string such as twine). That limited the ease of mobility for the cups, but also eliminated creaking altogether. Try it.

If that the case I would use dental floss for the red circle.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,874 of 2,535
Just got in the B&H used deal...and I think I can say with confidence...

Holy **** Snacks! This MDR-7520 isn't hot in the sibilance region! Other than that, the lower midrange seems more forward than I recall as well. 

I'll definitely be reviewing these within the next month...

You lucky B!
If I wasn't bothered by my 7520 in that area I would have been happy and kept them.
Best portable shaped headphone.
Excellent detailing and bass.
A bit agressive and sibilant at times for my ears though.

I'd advise you to hold onto them as I expect that you will find the same, and finding another headphone with all the other attributes that the 7520's have at anything like their price point is, in my experience and from all I've read, impossible!

Correct.
Form factor is just perfect.
Sound quality one of highest in portables.
Haven't herd any other PORTABLE "over ear" models better with exception of Ultrasone signature & Edition series.
I had to go with ed8 for alot more $$$
:frowning2:

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,875 of 2,535
You lucky B!
If I wasn't bothered by my 7520 in that area I would have been happy and kept them.
Best portable shaped headphone.
Excellent detailing and bass.
A bit agressive and sibilant at times for my ears though.
Correct.
Form factor is just perfect.
Sound quality one of highest in portables.
Haven't herd any other PORTABLE "over ear" models better with exception of Ultrasone signature & Edition series.
I had to go with ed8 for alot more $$$
frown.gif

re: sibilance.

Based on my thoughts i'd say that your looking at reproduction "issues" not so much of an emphasis on the 7520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back