Sony MDR-7520
Dec 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,892 of 2,535
Just started reading this thread up to page 50! I'm pretty much decided to buy this HP.

Can anyone tell me about the headband comfort, coming from a AKG K545. I find that headband uncomfortable after a short period. So looking to replace with the MDR-7520.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,893 of 2,535
  Just started reading this thread up to page 50! I'm pretty much decided to buy this HP.

Can anyone tell me about the headband comfort, coming from a AKG K545. I find that headband uncomfortable after a short period. So looking to replace with the MDR-7520.

Thanks!

I think that the headband comfort is fine. It's not very padded, but the weight of the headphone is well distributed. The magnesium construction is rather lightweight.

The ear cups are very small compared to that AKG - the AKG 5XX series pads are crazy fricken huge though. I think if you're going to have any comfort problems, it will be there. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,895 of 2,535
Once you change out the pads for the velour beyers mentioned here and there they are unbeatable in both sound and comfort as well as being some of the most efficient headphones you can buy.  No need for a separate amp on the go.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,896 of 2,535

I think that the headband comfort is fine. It's not very padded, but the weight of the headphone is well distributed. The magnesium construction is rather lightweight.

The ear cups are very small compared to that AKG - the AKG 5XX series pads are crazy fricken huge though. I think if you're going to have any comfort problems, it will be there. 

That's good to hear. Was mostly concerned about how the headband distributed the weight.
Did not realise about the ear pads though. Think I remember reading they were about 70mm x 40mm or something. Someone posted beyer DT250 pads work well, so may have to take that route.

I wore them 5 hours a day during the last few months, no discomfort whatsoever.
The headband is well paded with a nice foam that didn't loose its form. Still springy as new after a year of owning.

Awesome, thank you for the reply. These seem like the HP to me.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,897 of 2,535
Wow, thanks for the link! I've never heard the Z1000 so a comparison means nothing to me. Still, that frequency graph of the 7520 is a nice thing to have seen, considering how much I like the headphone.

I put the original pads back on. I decided that they were worth the slight discomfort. As it turns out, something does indeed happen to the bass. I didn't notice it at first, but there are two things that jump out. First, the midbass bloat that some complain about is gone. Second, the soundstage inches toward the "AKG stage," but imagine suffers.

Those have been my experiences. Everyone's ears are different though.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,899 of 2,535
I really need to check out modded pads. After an hour or so of listening I need to start adjusting listening positions cause of discomfort. Based on the thread head discomfort is big-time hit or miss.

Yep. They are too shallow, so the driver housing presses on your ear and that starts to hurt after a while. I've been using the Shure SRH840 pads for a long time on them and don't have any comfort issues with them. They will change the sound sig a bit (emphasize the bass a bit more). But I can live with that.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,901 of 2,535
  They've got them here, too. Factory refurbished, but I got my 7520s from them and they're perfect. The seller will haggle, too. Right now they're $255.

http://www.audiotopia.com/Sony-MDR-7520-Professional-Headphones-FACTORY-REFURB/dp/B004Z58VZ2

I contacted them to see if they had any more or would get any more and they offered me a open box pair that was on display for ~$309.  I mentioned that was a bit more than I wanted to pay.  I then asked if they would get more refurbs at the $255 price.

Long story short they sent me a reply claiming they pay more than $255 for them and that Sony has raised all their prices and they're far from that price and that I should maybe look for a used one from someone.  What a different 2 weeks makes.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,902 of 2,535
Got the 7520s because I've been looking for a more durable, metal + leather earpad alternative to my HD650s. For me mixing/monitoring accuracy is a priority.

Funny thing is I'm returning the 7520s and also giving up on the HD650s as well. The 7520s match the HD650s in detail but not stereo imaging. The 650s sound so much wider and more natural. The 650s still give me the sensation that I'm listening to nearfield monitors, while the 7520s are quite obviously boxy headphones.

The 7520s also make snares and percussion seem weak. They are the opposite of my punchy and snappy HD25s. On the HD25s snares hit like someone is hammering a nail next to your ear, making you squirm. The HD650s are somewhere in between. The 7520s just bring out this really smooth detailed midrange like some magical volume knob, while turning the drum track levels down a few db. It's crazy but that's what it sounds like.

Neither is perfect and I think I'm downgrading to my HD25s full time. I guess I need a leather/metal version of the HD650s. I've had enough of Sennheiser plastic. (Headband is starting to crack, name your price if you're interested. Brand new earpads and cable.)

EDIT: I was also hoping that the 7520s would be some kind of hybrid compromise between my HD25s and HD650s. In theory it makes sense, the detail of the 650s in a tough but imperfect closed format. That way I could replace both with the Sonys. Sadly this wasn't the case. The Sonys are just too focused on smooth tones like voices, strings and synths. I'm mostly interested in mixing percussive music, so they're just not exciting to my ears.

If you're into all that ASMR stuff though, the 7520s are for you.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,903 of 2,535
  Got the 7520s because I've been looking for a more durable, metal + leather earpad alternative to my HD650s. For me mixing/monitoring accuracy is a priority.

Funny thing is I'm returning the 7520s and also giving up on the HD650s as well. The 7520s match the HD650s in detail but not stereo imaging. The 650s sound so much wider and more natural. The 650s still give me the sensation that I'm listening to nearfield monitors, while the 7520s are quite obviously boxy headphones.

The 7520s also make snares and percussion seem weak. They are the opposite of my punchy and snappy HD25s. On the HD25s snares hit like someone is hammering a nail next to your ear, making you squirm. The HD650s are somewhere in between. The 7520s just bring out this really smooth detailed midrange like some magical volume knob, while turning the drum track levels down a few db. It's crazy but that's what it sounds like.

Neither is perfect and I think I'm downgrading to my HD25s full time. I guess I need a leather/metal version of the HD650s. I've had enough of Sennheiser plastic. (Headband is starting to crack, name your price if you're interested. Brand new earpads and cable.)

EDIT: I was also hoping that the 7520s would be some kind of hybrid compromise between my HD25s and HD650s. In theory it makes sense, the detail of the 650s in a tough but imperfect closed format. That way I could replace both with the Sonys. Sadly this wasn't the case. The Sonys are just too focused on smooth tones like voices, strings and synths. I'm mostly interested in mixing percussive music, so they're just not exciting to my ears.

If you're into all that ASMR stuff though, the 7520s are for you.

That doesn't sound pleasant lol!

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,904 of 2,535
I have a serious question.
Has anyone compared the Z1000 and/or z7520 to the reject forgotten sibling ZX-500?

I got a ZX-500 today 2nd hand, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing, all things considered. (especially after stuffing a ring of foam under the pad circumference for better comfort).
Just curious how deep the rabbit hole goes really. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,905 of 2,535
Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. I purchased these headphones at the end of March and couldn't be happier. I'm not an audiophile, but I recently picked up a pair of the XB-950BT headphone and cannot believe the difference. I'm probably going to do the mods suggested in the head-fi thread on those, but have given up the possibility of them even coming close to the 7520's. I've gained an even greater appreciation for these cans. They are superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back