Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #136 of 546
  hahah you should try the akg k545 next. you can find em for $200ish & people say that they are better than the momentums. another option is the NAD Visio HP50 at $300.

however, you probably won't be able to be going that budget friendly if you are looking to upgrade over the MDR-1Rs. You are looking to throw $200-$300 for sure if you are on the hunt for closed, portable sound rivaling the Momentums. I personally would skip the b&w in my opinion as the momentums are just as good if not better at $100 cheaper from my experience, and I'm sure that the k545 vs Visio option has sound quality rivaling it so I would look at those options first.

The NAD Visio HP50's are a good option, from what I've head there apparently really good for the price however here in Australia they are priced at $349.99 and I couldn't justify paying an extra $50. On the brighter side I got the MK2s at a steal price of $224.9 so I'm very happy. I prefer a warmer sound signature rather than a neutral sound because I can find more uses with a warmer sound like watching movies, playing games and of course listening to music. 
If I was willing to spend more to have more than 1 headphone than I could justify buying a headphone with a more neutral sound to the MK2's like the HP50's but for my needs a warmer sound signature fits my budget well.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #137 of 546
"Here is an update on your order.
I am very sorry to let you know that the product you ordered is discontinued. The manufacturer informed us they have no plan to produce this model in the near future.

We were in the middle of deleting process of discontinued products' listings, and I think you purchased it while we were doing it.

I am very sorry that I failed to be informed earlier about supply issue of this product.
Please advise us if it is okay to cancel your order.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Hope you understand this. I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you very much. Hope you have a good day
smily_headphones1.gif

Warm regards,"

So, I guess I've been scammed or they really are discontinued? Any one know if the MK2 have stopped being listed in the first countries getting release, like Asia, Australia and so on. Hope I will get my refund!!

What's the best alternative if I want something else than the r1:s? AKG 845BT, Bose aw2bt? sennheiser? I like clear sound, good base and nice detail in the mids. Want them to work with all kinds of music! The perfect cans, haha. That's what everybody wants, right :wink:

My guess is that their distributor cut off their supply.  I assume these were discounted?  Where did you purchase them?

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #138 of 546
"Here is an update on your order.
I am very sorry to let you know that the product you ordered is discontinued. The manufacturer informed us they have no plan to produce this model in the near future.

We were in the middle of deleting process of discontinued products' listings, and I think you purchased it while we were doing it.

I am very sorry that I failed to be informed earlier about supply issue of this product.
Please advise us if it is okay to cancel your order.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Hope you understand this. I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you very much. Hope you have a good day
smily_headphones1.gif

Warm regards,"

So, I guess I've been scammed or they really are discontinued? Any one know if the MK2 have stopped being listed in the first countries getting release, like Asia, Australia and so on. Hope I will get my refund!!

What's the best alternative if I want something else than the r1:s? AKG 845BT, Bose aw2bt? sennheiser? I like clear sound, good base and nice detail in the mids. Want them to work with all kinds of music! The perfect cans, haha. That's what everybody wants, right :wink:

I don't like this at all. I hope they didn't cancel it and are going to make the MDR-2R or something. That will really tick me off.

Anywho, you might have your response fulfilled by someone else. It's really hard to find good sounding portable cans for a decent price. Since over-ear portables need to be durable, good looking and good sounding..

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #139 of 546
I ordered them from a seller in south Korea.. On eBay. Yeah, that's my guess also, that their supplier cut it of. But where to get the mk2 Bluetooth elsewhere? Hmmpf.. :-/

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer, or see if I can get the bt version of the original r1 for a bargain!

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #140 of 546
I don't like this at all. I hope they didn't cancel it and are going to make the MDR-2R or something. That will really tick me off.

Anywho, you might have your response fulfilled by someone else. It's really hard to find good sounding portable cans for a decent price. Since over-ear portables need to be durable, good looking and good sounding..

No, hope they will come out pretty soon so I can give them a test. But things tend to move pretty slowly here in Europe sometimes, especially with new technology!

I tested the bowers and Wilkins P7 and the NAD HP50 cans today. Tighter bass in the BW but more feeling and openness in the NAD! Overall my vouch goes to the NAD HP50, 100 bucks cheaper also! Inner fidelity just put them on nr1 spot on his wall of fame :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #144 of 546
I ordered them from a seller in south Korea.. On eBay. Yeah, that's my guess also, that their supplier cut it of. But where to get the mk2 Bluetooth elsewhere? Hmmpf.. :-/

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer, or see if I can get the bt version of the original r1 for a bargain!

I wouldn't, personally.  No AptX, no go, for me.  Since it is primarily an Asian release, you'd think there would be a decent supply available in South Korea.  Are they nowhere to be found, or are they just not as cheap as the eBay deal you found?

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #145 of 546
I were under the impression that the R1RBT had aptx at first, but now I see it's nowhere to be found in the specs.
I'm thinking of alternative Bluetooth headphones that are stylish, have good battery life, sound and apt-x (that's a must)

Alternatives to MK2BT: MDR- R10BT (cheaper, a little less sound quality, but more portable and with aptX)
Phillips fidelio M1BT (Best buy from head FI 2013 in the Bluetooth category). Why haven't I've seen more about these since they are so good. I think I had a listen to the wired M1 at a store, but I think I got the feeling of somewhat boring sound, although pretty nice!

I can get both from around 150 dollars (although I'm just guessing since I use Swedish currency)
Although, Bluetooth phones aside, I've been thinking about replacing my Audio technicas M50 for something more hi end, like NAD viso MP50, wich I really liked!

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #146 of 546
I wouldn't, personally.  No AptX, no go, for me.  Since it is primarily an Asian release, you'd think there would be a decent supply available in South Korea.  Are they nowhere to be found, or are they just not as cheap as the eBay deal you found?

No, they are listed for about the same price now from Hong Kong and Seoul for aprox 358 US dollars (2325 Swedish krona) on the "The Bay" :wink:
But when I ordered this was almost the only seller I found...

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #148 of 546
i just received my 1r mk2 yesterday. Straight from Japan. I do have the 1rbt and compared them. yes, there is a slight difference in bass. the mk2 has more pronounce and punchier bass than the 1rbts in both wired and bluetooth modes. what really sets this apart from the older model is the High Resolution audio driver. it enhances any type of music from compressed to high bit rate music. i won/t get rid of my rbis since i use those a lot wirelessly. but this ones are incomparable to those especially if you're an audiophile like me, you'll notice the difference. now i feel extremely bad because now i'm planning to get the 1rbt mk2 lol

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #149 of 546
I am modifying my Sony MDR 1 mk2's with acoustic dampening material tomorrow as per a previous mod on the mk1's - so far the mk2's have an additional layer of dampening material on top of the drivers I believe as I have removed the leatherette ear cushions.

I will update with what I find and any sound changes this mod creates. I am also building a silver cable for them. I am hoping to clean up and tighten the bass and bass midrange just a bit.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #150 of 546
So I'm reading everyone's impressions of the MK2 and I'm seeing some comparisons done, but I'm not sold on things being done by memory or looking at charts. Has anyone really taken the time to have both cans in hand and properly AB'd to see if there is any difference at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back