Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Jan 1, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #106 of 546
just thought I'd mention that I've gotten the opportunity to save $84.94 with the boxing day sales to purchase the MK2's on the Sony Australia website for $224.96 in black/silver ( the brown/silver colour isn't available in Australia due to customer demand but for the price I didn't think twice about it and I quite like both so it wasn't a deal breaker) 
I should be expected to receive it by Jan 7th. I'll let you guys know if my unit has the jack rattle. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #107 of 546
  just thought I'd mention that I've gotten the opportunity to save $84.94 with the boxing day sales to purchase the MK2's on the Sony Australia website for $224.96 in black/silver ( the brown/silver colour isn't available in Australia due to customer demand but for the price I didn't think twice about it and I quite like both so it wasn't a deal breaker) 
I should be expected to receive it by Jan 7th. I'll let you guys know if my unit has the jack rattle. 

I'm not all too bothered by the jack rattle, since a piece of paper was easily able to fix it. Without the paper fix, it's not a huge rattle, it's just a microphonic pickup when moving around. Which in my opinion is a big deal since these are my perfect solution for a portable over-ear.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #108 of 546

I'm not all too bothered by the jack rattle, since a piece of paper was easily able to fix it. Without the paper fix, it's not a huge rattle, it's just a microphonic pickup when moving around. Which in my opinion is a big deal since these are my perfect solution for a portable over-ear.

I do agree with you, the paper fix is a much better alternative than the blu-tack fix because I was always skeptical about the chances of it going bad if I used the blu-tack myself. I owned a pair of original 1R's but the microphonics really did annoy me when watching movies becasue with even the slightest cable movement it would disrupt the movie and especially when I'm eating a meal while listening to music etc. so I returned them and received a refund. however ever since then I haven't been able to find an alternative headphone that I liked more than the 1R's sound and looks. So when i heard that sony was releasing a MK2 version I decided to go ahead and buy a pair when I found out about the saving on the boxing day sale and if it does have the jack rattle, I'll just slip in a piece of paper and it should look and be as if it didn't have it in the first place. Though It is surprising to hear that some people don't have the jack rattle issue and that makes me think twice about it..

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #111 of 546
Please compare the 1r and 1rmk2!

Iv'e only had a short listen to them and since I want to give you my first impressions of them since you want to know how they compare to the original 1R's it'd be easier for me to do it this way. They pretty much look identically the same, I can't seem to notice anything different. It's disappointing that they couldn't even change the labeling on the headphone to "MDR-1RMK2" but that's just me. 

In the sound department which is what your most interested in, It's actually remarkably similar to the original 1R's however from MY OWN EARS the bass seems to be just a tad more extended and smoother. unfortunately I can't really tell you whether I can hear any differences in the MIDS and HIGHS becasue I can't really remember back to the 1R's but I can be save to say that it's some what improved. 

I think price is the second most important factor on whether it's worth every penny. In my honest opinion I wouldn't pay $299.99+shipping out of my own pocket for these headphones. I do really love these but for some reason the price tag doesn't give it justice. for example if did pay the RRP I'd still be happy with them but I wouldn't consciously think to myself that these are what I expected for how much I paid. I paid $224.96 from Sony's boxing day sale and for that price it's a steal, if you can find it around the $200-$250 range I think it's a good deal if you want a really good headphone for the casual listener. 

Unfortunately with my bad luck, My headphone has small chrome chip marks near the hinge underneath the MDR-1R labeling where the hinge turns. However Sony is already in the process in hopefully organizing a replacement for me if they approve. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #113 of 546
Thanks! When I bought the 1r at $300, I was not too happy either.

I do agree with you about that however I still think both the 1R and the MK2 is better than momentums. The momentums to me are too dark sounding. If build quality is your first priority than I think the momentums are better however they look like they'd attract scratches pretty easily.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #114 of 546
I do agree with you about that however I still think both the 1R and the MK2 is better than momentums. The momentums to me are too dark sounding. If build quality is your first priority than I think the momentums are better however they look like they'd attract scratches pretty easily.

It isn't that the momentum is dark, its just that its soundstage is tiny so it sounds congested.  The 1r sounds better to me.  The Focal spirit one is also dark and even though I had sworn to myself that I hated dark cans, I loved those things.  The only cans ime that have actually had to burn in.  Well, those and the XB500.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #115 of 546
It isn't that the momentum is dark, its just that its soundstage is tiny so it sounds congested.  The 1r sounds better to me.  The Focal spirit one is also dark and even though I had sworn to myself that I hated dark cans, I loved those things.  The only cans ime that have actually had to burn in.  Well, those and the XB500.

I do agree with you there, they are very congested and there's not a lot of separation in sound. The only thing I dont like about the 1Rs in a whole is that from my experience they have bad quality control. Ive had a lot of 1Rs due to replacements because every pair ive received have had some small defect in the manufacturing process, call me crazy but If I buy it brand new I expect it to look brand new. That and I bloody hoped they'd fix the jack rattle but ive dealt to put of with it now but for $300 it's pushing it.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #117 of 546
  comments on the isolation of the MK2 anyone?

To be honest the isolation on the MK2's aren't brilliant. they are really light on your head and the ear pads feel like pillows...seriously they do. However for it to be super light and super comfortable with comfortable clamping force you kinda need to sacrifice a little bit and that little bit is isolation but I can't really see it as an issue unless you see yourself wearing it around busy crowds and what not. At 50% volume people around you can't hear what you listening to but around 75% volume and up they can but they can't hear it as if they they were listening to it through speakers. however when you take the headphones off your head while the music is still going you can hear it loud and clear and it's more pronounced than my brothers M50's but I'm guessing the exposed drivers don't help and that's probably why but aye I don't mind, they look sexy as hell. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #118 of 546
I've been looking for a reason to switch from wired headphones to "less wired headphones" :wink: for a while now. Have compared everything of interest. Sennheiser mx 450, Java Revo wireless, Harman Kardon, Philips Fidelio m1bt., Parrot Zik (that battery lire though..not good I hear)
... And of course glanced and read very positive reviews about the Sony 1RBT. But since I want the latest and greatest within a moderate budget, although these are the most expensive I've ever looked in so far, I know the 1R:s been out for a while.... I just ordered a pair of 1RBT MK2 from EBay! They ship it to Sweden from South Korea. Hope I get pleasantly surprised coming from audio technica ath-m50! And hope I don't get scammed from the seller of course.

From what I hear, the 1RBT should fit any one with glasses. since I sometimes wear them when I'm out and about, that is a dilemma witch have to work.

Lucky me reading this thread about the MK2! Supah headphones here I come!

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #119 of 546
I've been looking for a reason to switch from wired headphones to "less wired headphones" :wink: for a while now. Have compared everything of interest. Sennheiser mx 450, Java Revo wireless, Harman Kardon, Philips Fidelio m1bt., Parrot Zik (that battery lire though..not good I hear)
... And of course glanced and read very positive reviews about the Sony 1RBT. But since I want the latest and greatest within a moderate budget, although these are the most expensive I've ever looked in so far, I know the 1R:s been out for a while.... I just ordered a pair of 1RBT MK2 from EBay! They ship it to Sweden from South Korea. Hope I get pleasantly surprised coming from audio technica ath-m50! And hope I don't get scammed from the seller of course.

From what I hear, the 1RBT should fit any one with glasses. since I sometimes wear them when I'm out and about, that is a dilemma witch have to work.

Lucky me reading this thread about the MK2! Supah headphones here I come!

hope you like em & let us know your impressions :)

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #120 of 546
  Iv'e only had a short listen to them and since I want to give you my first impressions of them since you want to know how they compare to the original 1R's it'd be easier for me to do it this way. They pretty much look identically the same, I can't seem to notice anything different. It's disappointing that they couldn't even change the labeling on the headphone to "MDR-1RMK2" but that's just me. 

In the sound department which is what your most interested in, It's actually remarkably similar to the original 1R's however from MY OWN EARS the bass seems to be just a tad more extended and smoother. unfortunately I can't really tell you whether I can hear any differences in the MIDS and HIGHS becasue I can't really remember back to the 1R's but I can be save to say that it's some what improved. 

I think price is the second most important factor on whether it's worth every penny. In my honest opinion I wouldn't pay $299.99+shipping out of my own pocket for these headphones. I do really love these but for some reason the price tag doesn't give it justice. for example if did pay the RRP I'd still be happy with them but I wouldn't consciously think to myself that these are what I expected for how much I paid. I paid $224.96 from Sony's boxing day sale and for that price it's a steal, if you can find it around the $200-$250 range I think it's a good deal if you want a really good headphone for the casual listener. 

Unfortunately with my bad luck, My headphone has small chrome chip marks near the hinge underneath the MDR-1R labeling where the hinge turns. However Sony is already in the process in hopefully organizing a replacement for me if they approve. 

I tried and returned the original 1Rs a few months ago due to jack rattle and creaking (any head movement would result in creaking sounds). I went through several replacements and they all had those issues. 

Does the MK2 still have the jack rattle issue? And, is there any creaking when you turn your head?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back