Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Dec 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #91 of 546
I recieved the MDR-1R Mk2 for christmas. So far I'm liking it, the first pair of headphones that are both nice looking and nice sounding!

I don't have the 1r, but I tried my dad's mdr-10r. If I were to do a comparison, I'd have to do a comparison based off memory. So unless if anyone wants to send me a pair of 1r's to put side by side; I'll just review the 1r mk2's for now :)
Just letting them burn-in.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #93 of 546
Does the Mark 2 model still need and or benefit from putting dynamat behind the driver? I just bought a pair for use as portable phones which they are fine for but not stellar. I think a silver cable upgrade would help them.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #94 of 546
  The sound of original and mk2 was the same ! Sony just change the cable -_-

I really hoped they did change the cable... all my cables can withstand -10 degree celcius weather. However the 1r mk2 cables seem to stiffen. I was hoping this wouldn't happen since these headphones seem like a viable portable solution.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #98 of 546
  I recieved the MDR-1R Mk2 for christmas. So far I'm liking it, the first pair of headphones that are both nice looking and nice sounding!

I don't have the 1r, but I tried my dad's mdr-10r. If I were to do a comparison, I'd have to do a comparison based off memory. So unless if anyone wants to send me a pair of 1r's to put side by side; I'll just review the 1r mk2's for now :)
Just letting them burn-in.

Does your pair of MK2's have the jack rattle issue that the original 1R's have?  

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #99 of 546
  Does your pair of MK2's have the jack rattle issue that the original 1R's have?  

Yes they do have a rattling issue.  I took these headphones in an extreme outdoor test and this is quite a issue,  so I just slipped in a piece of paper and trimmed it off so it's no longer visible. For $300 these could have been designed better.. In terms of sound quality and durability regarding the rattling and cable quality. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #100 of 546
Its being sold on Amazon at the moment for $300.

They're available on Amazon from Mugen Mart, which isn't an authorized dealer. They appear to just import Japanese products.

I am specifically interesting in the Bluetooth (BT) model of these, but Bluetooth or not these don't seem to be available directly from any authorized U.S. dealer so that's why I was asking. They're not even listed on Sony USA's website.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #102 of 546
  From what I have been able to find out, no.  That said, from what I'm seeing here, what's the point?

There's no indication on the headphone that it's a mk2 headphone, the headphone for all I know could be a mk1 with a new box. I won't know until I listen to a mk1 :p

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #103 of 546

There's no indication on the headphone that it's a mk2 headphone, the headphone for all I know could be a mk1 with a new box. I won't know until I listen to a mk1 :p

I have yet to hear any confirmation that anything on the headphone itself has been changed.  My guess is that the MK2 designation is just an attempt to reinvigorate sales in the Japanese market after the early manufacturing problems sullied the original models reputation.    

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #104 of 546
I have the mk2 in silver. Got it on November. My first over-ear headphone. Also have a sennheiser momentum on ear blue and Logitech ue-900 iem. Never got the mdr-1r first version, so I can't compare, but I love the way it sounds. From wat I see physically, it looks the same like the first one, and wen comparing it to my momentum on ear, I have to say I love the bass on my mk2 more then my momentum on ear. Not sure wat that means cause I read that the momentum on ear has good or at least better bass then the momentum over ear and is close to or better then the new beats studio. All I can say, my mk2 has a better bass responses then my momentum on ear, but I'm just getting into hearing good music, so not sure if I'm correct with my statement. Love my mk2 either way:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back