Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Jan 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #153 of 546
Is the loose input jack at the cup fixed on the MK2?

No. Some people don't have it, some people do. For myself, I probably have the worst case.
The cable rubber shield near the end of the jack that prevents it from overbending is not actually snug to the cable. so a slight movement could make the cable hit the rubber shield and make an annoying low-toned click.
I managed to fix the actual jack by slotting in a piece of paper.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #154 of 546
  i just received my 1r mk2 yesterday. Straight from Japan. I do have the 1rbt and compared them. yes, there is a slight difference in bass. the mk2 has more pronounce and punchier bass than the 1rbts in both wired and bluetooth modes. what really sets this apart from the older model is the High Resolution audio driver. it enhances any type of music from compressed to high bit rate music. i won/t get rid of my rbis since i use those a lot wirelessly. but this ones are incomparable to those especially if you're an audiophile like me, you'll notice the difference. now i feel extremely bad because now i'm planning to get the 1rbt mk2 lol

I think the differences you are referring to have more to do with the 1R vs the 1RBT, rather than the MK2 "modifications".  

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #158 of 546
I did the 'Dynamat' modification to the MDR 1 MK2 and in my opinion it is worthwhile to do this. The bass is tighter and the bass transients definitely improved. Just tapping on the outside of the lined ear cup now produces a much 'deader' thump sound, rather than a hollow mass less plastic click before.

My MK2's had a thin black layer of dampening material that went around the outside of the driver in the ear cup which I personally removed as it made them sound a bit more dull. I still regrettably find the performance of these phones to be disappointing personally as they sound 'veiled' in the midrange to me - quite dark.

So far my favourite portable phones are my white European model Koss Porta Pro's with the Kramer mod and a pure silver 26 AWG cable with Rhodium plug.

I am going to make a new cable for my Sony MDR1's with 22AWG silver on the signal and 20 AWG silver with 1% gold on the common using Oyaide plugs and see what effect that has.

I love the build quality of the Sony I just wish the sound was more to my taste.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #159 of 546
  I did the 'Dynamat' modification to the MDR 1 MK2 and in my opinion it is worthwhile to do this. The bass is tighter and the bass transients definitely improved. Just tapping on the outside of the lined ear cup now produces a much 'deader' thump sound, rather than a hollow mass less plastic click before.

My MK2's had a thin black layer of dampening material that went around the outside of the driver in the ear cup which I personally removed as it made them sound a bit more dull. I still regrettably find the performance of these phones to be disappointing personally as they sound 'veiled' in the midrange to me - quite dark.

So far my favourite portable phones are my white European model Koss Porta Pro's with the Kramer mod and a pure silver 26 AWG cable with Rhodium plug.

I am going to make a new cable for my Sony MDR1's with 22AWG silver on the signal and 20 AWG silver with 1% gold on the common using Oyaide plugs and see what effect that has.

I love the build quality of the Sony I just wish the sound was more to my taste.

Jeez, 3 posts and you're already into the headfi business.

That mod sounds great, but as you mentioned, removing the veil from these would be miraculous if anything. 

Although the description of the headphones are underlined with "listenning comfort"...

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #160 of 546
Audio is my personal insanity - not my business! and I am well and truly quite insane.

I am using these phones with the Sony ZX1 and PHA2 that I bought from Japan and the MDR 1 mk 2's were bought while I was in Taipei for Christmas. I live in Singapore and these bad boys aren't available here yet.

I have hardly used them and now that they are all burning in together they are definitely starting to improve. I will make the new cable hopefully this weekend as I have bought the cable and plugs - just need to take the time out to do a bit of soldering. What is awesome is how the quality of the system all together comes through when you touch it. The ZX1 has an odd shape but a few foam spacers allow it to sit flush on the PHA 2. I also like the fact that it is all matchy matchy and Sony.

I don't expect this Sony menagerie to give me the joy that my Sennheiser Orpheus headphone system does, but then I am not going to schlep it down to the gym at our condos to do cardio with either! I do love Sony and I have religiously collected their last gasp of real Hifi with the Series 1 like the TA N1's and SCD1's etc. and they sound wonderful - truly world class - when modified by the way. It is a shame that the spare parts are running out - such is life. I have one spare laser at least in reserve.

I really hope that Sony finds it way back into the high end niche, but the electronics market is really very hard right now and as a company they need leadership. I also think that a break up of software from hardware would probably create value. The old Sony engineers were an awesome group of boffins that really loved music - I doubt if those days for a big company like Sony will come back but I sincerely hope that they do.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #161 of 546
Just receive the 1RBT MK II, so far great looking cans from Sony, feels sturdy, comfortable and so far the sound is phenomenal via wired and surprisingly good via BT using a Sony  NWZ-Z1040. 
Some pix below
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/scgaawv1mimmvyl/JqI-InE7jL

Will post more up to depth info soon after primary charging.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #163 of 546
  Just receive the 1RBT MK II, so far great looking cans from Sony, feels sturdy, comfortable and so far the sound is phenomenal via wired and surprisingly good via BT using a Sony  NWZ-Z1040. 
Some pix below
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/scgaawv1mimmvyl/JqI-InE7jL

Will post more up to depth info soon after primary charging.

How much did you yours cost bro? :) I got the standard MDR-1RMK2's for $224.96 off Sony's boxing day sale in Australia. Still waiting for my replacement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back