Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #977 of 1,177
Hey to all. Buyer's dilemma: MDR-1AM2 OR WH-1000XM4 for the same price? Sound quality and comfort are my main criteria. I was thinking of going with the latter for the wireless convenience/features but I will be using them mostly at home for music listening and the occasional call, wired too, if significant quality gains.

*I have the mdr-1a and love them but they are in a bad state.
i'll chime in for a bit more, if you're using them strictly/mostly at home, easily 1am2, i used to wear them around 6 hours a day and they'd just float on my head, SQ is better than xm4 too, and they scale really well with gear.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #978 of 1,177
Sony 1am2 does have a microphone and call answer button built into the cable!
Yep, only on the 3.5mm cable though.

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #979 of 1,177
Hey to all. Buyer's dilemma: MDR-1AM2 OR WH-1000XM4 for the same price? Sound quality and comfort are my main criteria. I was thinking of going with the latter for the wireless convenience/features but I will be using them mostly at home for music listening and the occasional call, wired too, if significant quality gains.

I have both and find that I reach for 1AM2 more than the WH M4. Each have their own use case scenarios for me - and the former beats the latter in comfort IMO.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #980 of 1,177
I've just bought these headphones (awaiting delivery) and must admit it was quite a journey trying to choose from the abundance of headphones out there! I managed to narrow it down to two, the Meze 99 Classics and the Sony MDR-1AM2s. I went with the latter as it seemed to tick all the boxes - Watching movies was a big part of that decision.
Now I need to choose a portable DAC/AMP and was wondering if anyone could help? The iFi Audio GO blu (and make use of the 4.4mm cable included with the Sony headphones) or the Fiio BTR5? Specifically, the functionality of aptx LL in watching movies is quite important.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #981 of 1,177
I've just bought these headphones (awaiting delivery) and must admit it was quite a journey trying to choose from the abundance of headphones out there! I managed to narrow it down to two, the Meze 99 Classics and the Sony MDR-1AM2s. I went with the latter as it seemed to tick all the boxes - Watching movies was a big part of that decision.
Now I need to choose a portable DAC/AMP and was wondering if anyone could help? The iFi Audio GO blu (and make use of the 4.4mm cable included with the Sony headphones) or the Fiio BTR5? Specifically, the functionality of aptx LL in watching movies is quite important.
I have a few bluetooth dac/amps including the BTR5, BTR3K, EarStudio es100 and recently bought the IFI Go Blu. I have been using the BTR5 by far the most, it sounds great, has a lot of power and is 100% reliable. I'm still getting used to the Go Blue, it sounds really great, it is really tiny and I love that I don't need to use a phone app with it.

I have been using the BTR5 for over a year and not had a single problem with it. It has a very lively clear sound. I use it with a Sony phone using LDAC, I have only seen lag when I've been scrubbing back and forward trying to find a point in a video and it is very brief. I have used Aptx HD with a different phone, with a familiar song there is a difference in how some sounds are emphasized but I think it is similar quality to LDAC. In the app for the BTR5 you can select which codecs you want to use and the device connects to the best available. The Go Blu seems to use all the bluetooth codecs.

I can bore people to death about these gadgets, I'm kind of into them so if you have questions feel free to ask anything.

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #982 of 1,177
I had these for 3 years now and I really love them but I'd like to try something else and I really like my bass... sub bass ... and I'm thinking about an Fidelio X2HR as it fits my budget and supposed to have lots of bass. The problem is I can't try before I buy and I'd like to know if anyone has both and could put it in words what the difference between these headphones is . I also have an iFi Zen Dac and was thinking that maybe the TrueBass button might add something to them if the Open Back built removes some bass.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #985 of 1,177
Thanks for the responses guys! I didn't buy either of them after all. I already own an mdr-1a, so I went for an open back, a Sennheiser HD 599. Pretty satisfied. They are comparable to my Fidelio X2HR and are amazingly comfortable and light, like the mdr-1a.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #986 of 1,177
I bought these headphones after finding them for 130€ on Amazon Italy. Received them a week ago, and... I totally dislike them. The bass is thumping and loose while the highs are piercing, VERY fatiguing to listen to even at low volume where everything just sounds muddy.
I agree 100%. Picked these up from Amazon Warehouse and initially they sounded clear and concise, then the boomy bass began to take over and eventually overwhelmed everything. Breaking them in just made it worse.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #987 of 1,177
I agree 100%. Picked these up from Amazon Warehouse and initially they sounded clear and concise, then the boomy bass began to take over and eventually overwhelmed everything. Breaking them in just made it worse.
My impressions are somewhat opposite. Admittedly I haven't had much experience other than testing JBL, Panasonic and other Sony products all being within 220. I find the mdr-1am2 headphones clear, concise with a tighter bass than the previously mentioned ones. Maybe it's connected to my age , but I also don't find the highs piercing. I have also compared them to the Takstar 82 Pro and although similar in design, the Sony ones are have better sound all round! - lighter and thus more comfortable for longer use (although not by an awful much). EDIT: my previous headphones were Superlux Evo 681 and coming from these, the Sony's were a welcome upgrade!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #988 of 1,177
My impressions are somewhat opposite. admittedly I haven't had much other experience other than testing JBL, Panasonic and other Sony products all being withing a 220 EURO. I find the mdr-1am2 headphones clear, concise with a tighter bass than the previously mentioned ones. Maybe it's connected to my age , but I also don't find the highs piercing. I have also compared them to the Takstar 82 Pro and although similar in design, the Sony ones are have better sound all round! - lighter and thus more comfortable for longer use (although not by an awful much).
I blocked the vent holes and the bass is now under control.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #989 of 1,177
These NEED to be paired with this……they’re UNREAL then !

Attachments

• B8A43BB0-1FCD-43B9-8794-3BC8854183D7.jpeg
    B8A43BB0-1FCD-43B9-8794-3BC8854183D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #990 of 1,177

Users who are viewing this thread

Back