Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #871 of 1,177
Mutec MC3+ USB > AES > Schiit Yggdrasil > Balanced XLR > Audio-GD Master 9 > 1AM2 Singled ended

All I can say is that the 1AM2 scales really well with high quality source and high powered class A headphone amplification. 1AM2's drivers are made to handle strong audio signals, it can deliver extremely impactful bass transients without any hint of diaphragm breakup distortion. Sony seems to be prioritizing 1AM2's instantaneous peak transient delivery/Dynamics over other aspects like smoothness and small details.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #872 of 1,177
i am wondering how much difference from my current wh-1000mx3, is this headphone better than my wireless one? is the sound signature similar? i currently using akg k551 but i feel it's on it's last legs, need wired at home, no need for wireless.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #874 of 1,177
I have an amp synergy question for the Sony veterans. For its flagships, Sony released amps that some folks say are magical when paired with their headphones, e.g., the MDR-Z1R and the TA-ZH1ES, or the original MDR-Z7 and the PHA-3.

With specific reference to the 1AM2, is this ancient history? For these headphones, should I expect that my JDS Atom stack will give me a similar listening experience to Sony's own DAC/amps?

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #875 of 1,177
The 1AM2 goes perfect with the TA, 1Z, 1A and ifi HIP Dac.

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #879 of 1,177
I'm running it out of my iPhone 11 and it sounds great, but it's less warm than with my SR15.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #882 of 1,177
This.

I just picked up a secondhand pair for use as beaters. Wasn't expecting too much from them, given that they seem to be marketed towards portable consumer use.

I'm running them now from the balanced out of my iFi ZEN stack (600mW into 16 ohms), and I am more than impressed.

I've previously owned the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm and Audio-Technica M50x, and auditioned the Meze 99 Classics. These easily outclass all of them in tonal balance and technicalities.

Also previously owned the Beyerdynamic DT 1770, Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany, E-MU Teaks, and Shure SRH1540, and while I no longer have them on hand, I'm inclined to say that the 1AM2 would easily go toe-to-toe with any of them in terms of technicalities.

I was expecting a warm, thumpy, closed-in sound from the reviews, but these are surprisingly open sounding, and very clean, quick, and detailed. Bass is tight and well-controlled, with zero hint of bloom or slowness. Treble is well-extended, airy, and refined. Surprisingly again, tonality leans slightly towards the cool and dry end of the spectrum. Clarity, transparency, and separation are all very impressive for their price point.

Highly recommended for use with a powerful balanced source.
These one of THE most underrated headphones. So good and easy to take around on the go for listening on my 1A and 1Z DAPs.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #884 of 1,177
I was just about to add that bit about how underrated they are to my post - beat me to it!

These are my first Sony headphones, but I've owned plenty of Sony IEMs - IER-M9, EX1000, XBA-Z5, and XBA-N3 - and these are every bit as fantastic. Certainly not as precise and detailed as the IER-M9, but I'd say they sit between the EX1000 and XBA-Z5 in terms of technicalities.
They feel precise when I use them with my 1Z. Outside, they lose out a bit of course due to outside noise. But that doesn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back