Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #886 of 1,177
I'd definitely describe them as precise, though I do think IER-M9 pip them there, but only then because the IER-M9 are incredibly exceptional in that regard.
Ah, that's right. They're supposed to have that Studio Monitor sound

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #887 of 1,177
Recently my interested in headphones returned. Mostly been using Bluetooth headphones but never really been satisfied with the sound. But because practical and financial reasons (two of them:kids) I didn't chase headphone nirvana.

Until a few weeks ago I bought a second-hand AKG 702 and the cobalt....and now ordered the 1AM2. Can't wait till they arrive.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #888 of 1,177
Out of all the headphones I’ve owned (check my profile if your interested) the Sony MDR-1AM2 remains. It’s comfort, convenience and that it is easily powered by my cell phone makes it too hard to beat.

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #889 of 1,177
Out of all the headphones I’ve owned (check my profile if your interested) the Sony MDR-1AM2 remains. It’s comfort, convenience and that it is easily powered by my cell phone makes it too hard to beat.

That's a seriously impressive list of cans!

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #890 of 1,177
Hi, I can find this headset for 120 dollars in my country. My question is that whether this headset durable or not. It is a lot of money to give so I wonder if I'am going to be able to use this over 3 years. Thank you, sorry for the poor English.

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #891 of 1,177
Hi, I can find this headset for 120 dollars in my country. My question is that whether this headset durable or not. It is a lot of money to give so I wonder if I'am going to be able to use this over 3 years. Thank you, sorry for the poor English.
I've had mines for two years and still looking fresh.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #893 of 1,177
Good evening everyone, this is my first message. After 70-100 hours of use I can confirm that the Sony MDR-1AM2 are exceptional headphones. They wow in almost all musical genres from Rock, Metal, electronic music and classical music. I use Violectric V200 amplifier, Schiit Loki, dac-Multibit and alternate with khadas tone board. I recommend this cable:

https://www.amazon.it/Mogami-Cuffie...ie+Cavo+per+SONY+MDR-1A&qid=1614632300&sr=8-1 .

I enclose the measure of the connector:

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #894 of 1,177
Even if it is a lot of $120, this is super cheap in the High-Res headphones spectrum. You'll be fine. But it's true, some have better access to funds than others. Good luck.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #896 of 1,177
At where I am, the IER-M9 is about four times the price of the MDR-1AM2.

I think the IER-M9 has a fundamentally different sound signature when compared to the MDR-1AM2.

Overall IER-M9 has a very relaxed presentation while the 1AM2 is a very energetic headphone.

Also the 1AM2 is quite unforgiving due to it's metallic like tonality, If your source have jitter or sibilance problems, 1AM2 will show them to you in an instance. IER-M9 on the other hand, makes most sources sound refined/soft.

1AM2 excels when the music is complex, where you are listen to the beat and rhythm of the music. They are not so good for analyzing the microdetails. or plankton sound details. Think Alternative, Rock, Hip Hop or Electronic genre of music is what suits the 1AM2. From what I am hearing, great soundstaging and imaging on the 1AM2 really requires TOTL equipment for these to properly show up. You can really turn up the bass on these without worrying about bass distortion or diaphragm breakup that you get with other headphones when you push the EQ too much. They are surprisingly very easy to drive, more easier than the IER-M9(I will explain this part later on).

IER-M9 on the other hand is more tuned for appreciating the sound stage / imaging of the music, think live performances or unplugged music where you are absorbing the entire musical presentation. IER-M9 doesn't allow any part of the sound to overwhelm. The IER-M9 although is just an iem, I would think that these pair of iem requires quite alot more power than a typical iem/portable cans. I felt that somehow Sony has made the IER-M9 to have a "VTEC" mode, where you really need to turn up the volume on these in order for the last bit of the fast transient response to show up, and because you have to drive them at higher volumes, it means that your source amplification need to have plenty of capacitance/power output in order for the IER-M9 to sound punchy/bitey otherwise, the IER-M9 will behave pretty relaxed(or boring for some).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #897 of 1,177
At where I am, the IER-M9 is about four times the price of the MDR-1AM2.

I think the IER-M9 has a fundamentally different sound signature when compared to the MDR-1AM2.

Overall IER-M9 has a very relaxed presentation while the 1AM2 is a very energetic headphone.

Also the 1AM2 is quite unforgiving due to it's metallic like tonality, If your source have jitter or sibilance problems, 1AM2 will show them to you in an instance. IER-M9 on the other hand, makes most sources sound refined/soft.

1AM2 excels when the music is complex, where you are listen to the beat and rhythm of the music. They are not so good for analyzing the microdetails. or plankton sound details. Think Alternative, Rock, Hip Hop or Electronic genre of music is what suits the 1AM2. From what I am hearing, great soundstaging and imaging on the 1AM2 really requires TOTL equipment for these to properly show up. You can really turn up the bass on these without worrying about bass distortion or diaphragm breakup that you get with other headphones when you push the EQ too much. They are surprisingly very easy to drive, more easier than the IER-M9(I will explain this part later on).

IER-M9 on the other hand is more tuned for appreciating the sound stage / imaging of the music, think live performances or unplugged music where you are absorbing the entire musical presentation. IER-M9 doesn't allow any part of the sound to overwhelm. The IER-M9 although is just an iem, I would think that these pair of iem requires quite alot more power than a typical iem/portable cans. I felt that somehow Sony has made the IER-M9 to have a "VTEC" mode, where you really need to turn up the volume on these in order for the last bit of the fast transient response to show up, and because you have to drive them at higher volumes, it means that your source amplification need to have plenty of capacitance/power output in order for the IER-M9 to sound punchy/bitey otherwise, the IER-M9 will behave pretty relaxed(or boring for some).
How many hours of use does your Sony 1AM2 have?

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #899 of 1,177
I still have a long way to go to reach 150 - 200 hours of use. In these 70 hours the sound has changed a lot and always for the better with the 1AM2. The Sennheiser are characterized with less time, without drastic changes on the sound tuning.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #900 of 1,177
I still have a long way to go to reach 150 - 200 hours of use. In these 70 hours the sound has changed a lot and always for the better with the 1AM2. The Sennheiser are characterized with less time, without drastic changes on the sound tuning.

The Aluminum coated LCP diaphragms are really very rigid and won't distort no matter how extremely hard push them by using high powered headamp.

It is likely the bonding glue that surrounds the 1AM2 diaphragms that requires burn in time/seasoning. Brand new out of the box, the 1AM2 tend to sound quite rigid, having a one noted bass and also having a very sterile stiff kind of upper mids and treble.

The burn-in changes that you might notice will be more of the sub-bass excursion and control. Over time the sub-bass will become more nuance with more variation in bass depth and rumble. Midrange will become smoother and treble will start to feel more silky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back