Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #901 of 1,177
Thank you for your advice.
So far I can say that the sound spectrum of the 1AM2 is really clean. They are very gritty in bass and sub-bass, but only when the part of the piece of music really requires it. They sound good even with the less beautiful recordings, but when the recordings are done at a high level, these headphones bring out great sound.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #902 of 1,177
The 1AM2 goes perfect with the TA, 1Z, 1A and ifi HIP Dac.

Crutchfield agrees with @Gamerlingual on the iFi hip-dac pairing, FWIW. (Sony's inclusion of a 4.4 mm balanced cable with the 1AM2 may have tipped the scale.) Even if it's in more of a sales pitch than a review, it's good to see the 1AM2 getting positive attention.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #903 of 1,177
Crutchfield agrees with @Gamerlingual on the iFi hip-dac pairing, FWIW. (Sony's inclusion of a 4.4 mm balanced cable with the 1AM2 may have tipped the scale.) Even if it's in more of a sales pitch than a review, it's good to see the 1AM2 getting positive attention.
It’s underrated I think, the hip dac. IFi did good with that little gem

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #907 of 1,177
Hi everyone!
I've recently purchased a pair of Sony MDR-1AM2 and I was looking for an EQ Preset to make them sound even better. I'm using Peter's Equalizer which is an interface for EqualizerAPO running on Windows 10. Any suggestions on the values to set?
I've already checked Oratory list, but apparently he hasn't tested the headphones yet.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #908 of 1,177
Hi everyone!
I've recently purchased a pair of Sony MDR-1AM2 and I was looking for an EQ Preset to make them sound even better. I'm using Peter's Equalizer which is an interface for EqualizerAPO running on Windows 10. Any suggestions on the values to set?
I've already checked Oratory list, but apparently he hasn't tested the headphones yet.
If you have an Android device, check Wavelet app for the 1AM2. I'm not entirely sure how to share that EQ to Windows. Maybe others can further advise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210311-220405.png
    Screenshot_20210311-220405.png
    258 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #909 of 1,177
If you have an Android device, check Wavelet app for the 1AM2. I'm not entirely sure how to share that EQ to Windows. Maybe others can further advise.
Thanks for your advice :).
How does this app work? Is it automatically matching the best settings for the headphone? Is there a way to show the chart with the frequencies?

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #910 of 1,177
Thanks for your advice :).
How does this app work? Is it automatically matching the best settings for the headphone? Is there a way to show the chart with the frequencies?

I'm not entirely sure as I only use the Auto EQ option. The GitHub of the app may answer your question better than I could.

https://pittvandewitt.github.io/Wavelet/

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #911 of 1,177
I attach the parameters of AutoEq - Crinacle (hope you like it).
I can't like this tuning, definitely a boring sound. The tuning that I am currently adopting is quite another thing.

Attachments

• AutoEq.png
    AutoEq.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #912 of 1,177
Now that I have about 80 hours of use, I use this tuning:

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-03-12 alle 19.43.34.png
    Schermata 2021-03-12 alle 19.43.34.png
    174 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #914 of 1,177
Yes, try them.
QRange or Equalizer APO I have them in both and they are identical in sound. I like QRange because it has a very useful spectrum analyzer :wink:.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #915 of 1,177
Yes, try them.
QRange or Equalizer APO I have them in both and they are identical in sound. I like QRange because it has a very useful spectrum analyzer :wink:.

Thanks, I've tried them both... but as of right now I'm liking the "non-equalized" sound a little bit more. Is it normal? I was hoping to get better results with EQ.

In general, I must confess that even though I'm really liking the headphones in terms of materials, comfort and weight I'm not so impressed by the sound quality if I compare them to a pair of 1More in-ear Quad Drivers that I own. I know that it doesn't make sense comparing closed back overheads with in-ear earbuds, but I still find way more immersive and detailed the sound from my 1More Quad Driver.

In a couple of days I should be able to borrow a pair of Philips Fidelio X2R/00 (opened back) and I'll compare them with the Sonys.

Any recommendations or thoughts on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back