Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #811 of 1,177
Hi. Is it possible to plug a regular 3.5mm trs aux cable into this headphone's 3.5mm trrs and still work? Pinout looks like it should work but can somebody confirm?

I was thinking about modding my AKGs (with 3 pin mini xlr) to balanced but still havent decided on the connector. If this connection can take a single ended trs, it will be far superior to a 4 pin mini xlr I was originally thinking of.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #812 of 1,177
Hi guys, I am really excited about my MDR-1AM2 with zx-300. Actually I am looking for in ear monitors with same sound signature as 1AM2.Any suggestion will be appreciated.Used my 1AM2 with 4.4mm cable, at home.I need something with same sound on the go.Thanks in advance.:)

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #814 of 1,177
Any suggestion for Wavelet EQ? Unfortunately 1AM2 is not listed in the auto settings.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #816 of 1,177
I am not even really a headphone guy (IEMs for me), but I keep checking out the 1AM2's on the regular. I am somewhat surprised these don't appear to be very popular 'round these parts. If a new pair ever gets below $200USD here in the States, I'll likely pounce, even given my aforementioned lack of affinity for headphones in general.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #817 of 1,177
I am not even really a headphone guy (IEMs for me), but I keep checking out the 1AM2's on the regular. I am somewhat surprised these don't appear to be very popular 'round these parts. If a new pair ever gets below $200USD here in the States, I'll likely pounce, even given my aforementioned lack of affinity for headphones in general.
Highly recommended. Love them.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #818 of 1,177
These headphones 4.4 with a zx300 sounds like a top level pairing. Amazing

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #819 of 1,177
O.K., fine, I'll take a more serious look at them, as opposed to occasional passing glances, LOL. I just know I won't pay full freight for them, because it remains the truth that I am not a headphone guy, and if I wind up having to sell, I want to minimize the financial hit. If/when they cab be had brand new for closer to $200, I'll probably go for it.

Are the cables pretty decent? I mean, in terms of ergonomics and durability? I'd mostly use 4.4mm with my ZX-507, but the 3.5mm with the inline remote kinda bugs me, for some reason. I need to look around to see if there are readily available aftermarket cables for both SE & balanced (might even want a 2.5mm one as well; don't really like using adapters, fwiw).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #821 of 1,177
O.K., fine, I'll take a more serious look at them, as opposed to occasional passing glances, LOL. I just know I won't pay full freight for them, because it remains the truth that I am not a headphone guy, and if I wind up having to sell, I want to minimize the financial hit. If/when they cab be had brand new for closer to $200, I'll probably go for it.

Are the cables pretty decent? I mean, in terms of ergonomics and durability? I'd mostly use 4.4mm with my ZX-507, but the 3.5mm with the inline remote kinda bugs me, for some reason. I need to look around to see if there are readily available aftermarket cables for both SE & balanced (might even want a 2.5mm one as well; don't really like using adapters, fwiw).
Got mine from Amazon.fr for 136 Euros including shipping...got tired of waiting for a decent deal in the US...Great Cans for the money! 😊

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #823 of 1,177
very light and comfortable headphones!
I love it very musical and enjoyable!
found this cable perfectly compatible
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000429527267.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.cb396c37efHIsF

4FT=120CM
6FT=180CM
For 4.4mm BALANCED player
TA-ZH1ES
NW-WM1Z
NW-WM1A
PHA-2A
NW-ZX300
Compatible with subsequent 4.4mm BALANCED connector player

Product Description:

7N Monocrystalline copper (OCC), purity 99.99997%,
(built-in 8 core, a total of 240 copper wire diameter 0.05mm)
Length: 120cm/180cm
Warranty: 1-year warranty
Plug: gold plated right angle plug, aluminum shell

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #824 of 1,177
I just want to say that after 4 months with these headphones, their comfort is out the charts. There are moments in the day that I forget I have them on. Usually when I move out from my the desk and i feel that there's a cable between the laptop and my head. :beyersmile:

The stock Sony earpads is very thick and conform to your ears easily. Not much heating up. Also the headband don't press down on your head that much as the headphones are so light.

The key to good sound is that you must find a good position to place the earpads. I have them in a position that makes the top upper rear side of earpads rest on the top part of my ears. It helps to improve the clarity of sound.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #825 of 1,177

I haven't used the balanced cable. The cables are quite durable but its strain relief is irritating because whenever the cable is pulled it causes a clicking sound. MDR-1000X cable also fits in the recessed socket and is slightly less prone to this clicking but still has a similar strain relief. I also suspect the recessed socket itself causes clicking, as it was a known issue with the previous models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back