Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #826 of 1,177
Sep 2, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #827 of 1,177
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #828 of 1,177
The right side driver in my beloved 1AM2 seems to have bit the dust. Tried multiple cables and devices. :frowning2:

I think the next true wireless XM4 will be my next Sony purchase.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #829 of 1,177
The right side driver in my beloved 1AM2 seems to have bit the dust. Tried multiple cables and devices. :frowning2:

I think the next true wireless XM4 will be my next Sony purchase.
I returned the XM4 after 2 days and bought the 1AM2 instead. 3 times cheaper for much better quality. In passive / cable connection the XM4 sounds worse, which speaks about the base quality of the product. And this at a cost about 3 times higher than the 1AM2. Is the wire that much of a problem? Not for me. And another detail: the headband on the 1AM2 slides so smoothly I just love it, whereas the XM4 I could not easily slide with just one hand.

I don't doubt the top quality of the XM4 in it's category, but soundwise the 1AM2 are the ones to get, and then you have good money left to spend on whatever else.

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #830 of 1,177
I returned the XM4 after 2 days and bought the 1AM2 instead. 3 times cheaper for much better quality. In passive / cable connection the XM4 sounds worse, which speaks about the base quality of the product. And this at a cost about 3 times higher than the 1AM2. Is the wire that much of a problem? Not for me. And another detail: the headband on the 1AM2 slides so smoothly I just love it, whereas the XM4 I could not easily slide with just one hand.

I don't doubt the top quality of the XM4 in it's category, but soundwise the 1AM2 are the ones to get, and then you have good money left to spend on whatever else.
Oh believe me, I know. I owned the 1AM2 for nearly 2 years. I'm talking about the XM4 IEM though.

I hate that the right side driver just quit working all of a sudden. I wonder if I fried it by pushing it too hard from my Modius/Jotunhiem combo?

But yeah I also have the Z7 and Z7M2. But the as of yet unannounced XM4 true wireless IEM is something I could get a lot of use out of at work. Right now I'm using a $50 JLAB Air TW IEM and even it is surprisingly good IMO.

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #831 of 1,177
Oh believe me, I know. I owned the 1AM2 for nearly 2 years. I'm talking about the XM4 IEM though.

I hate that the right side driver just quit working all of a sudden. I wonder if I fried it by pushing it too hard from my Modius/Jotunhiem combo?

But yeah I also have the Z7 and Z7M2. But the as of yet unannounced XM4 true wireless IEM is something I could get a lot of use out of at work. Right now I'm using a $50 JLAB Air TW IEM and even it is surprisingly good IMO.
How would you compare Z7 vs Z7M2? I'm on the fence about them.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #833 of 1,177
How would you compare Z7 vs Z7M2? I'm on the fence about them.
I prefer the Z7M2. I feel like it has better clarity and separation. The Z7 has it beat in bass impact. I also like that the Z7 is made in Japan, though the build quality of the Z7M2 is not lacking either.

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #834 of 1,177
Just got these awhile ago for a really good price, took a few days to get used to the sound as I almost never use headphones.
Coming from my XBA-N3, I can hear some similarities in the sound - deep bass, detailed but smooth treble.
Running these through the ZX300, high gain on the balanced output and it sounds really great, makes me feel as if I am right in the middle of whatever I am listening to.
They certainly aren't the most detailed pair out there, but I really can't put them down haha.
2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #835 of 1,177
FYI, Crinacle has updated 1AM2 measurements in his new revision of headphones graph (https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/) .

Red = 1AM2. Yellow = K371. Grey = Harman target response curve.

Feel free to interpret the graph yourself. IMO they sound sweet and clear with decent resolution... That 8khz peak is not very prominent to my ears, and I'd rather have a 8khz peak than 5-6khz peak. They have great treble extension too.
graph (1).png

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #836 of 1,177
FYI, Crinacle has updated 1AM2 measurements in his new revision of headphones graph (https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/) .

Red = 1AM2. Yellow = K371. Grey = Harman target response curve.

Feel free to interpret the graph yourself. IMO they sound sweet and clear with decent resolution... That 8khz peak is not very prominent to my ears, and I'd rather have a 8khz peak than 5-6khz peak. They have great treble extension too.
I wonder what would it look like on the full advertised range, 3–100,000 Hz, not that it would matter to most people.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #839 of 1,177
Can anyone recommend a good, portable replacement cable WITH and inline microphone?

Absolutely love this headphone, but the inline microphone is utter crap...always need to switch to other headset in meetings which is a bit dreadful.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #840 of 1,177
Hello everyone, first post here!

I've had these headphones for a year now and sweating of the ears (even after one song) is starting to affect my ears. My ears have started to get some rash and itchiness even though I've had pauses between songs / general usage quite often.

Didn't find any replacement pads for these babies yet that might make my situation better. It really saddens me cause' I love the headphones very, very much (also they were a birthday present from my wife) and cannot really return them anymore at this point.

I already ordered Meze 99 pads because I did read this topic (unlucky me, the user talking about these pads was talking about replacing the MDR-1A's pads, not 1AM2's) and was thinking that maybe a little larger ones might help my ears / roundings breathe a little bit more. They are coming in monday so I'll see then how they affect sweating and SQ.

Any propositions for me? Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back