Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #571 of 1,177
@Galen1925,

I suggest posting a picture of the bent cable so the thread can confirm whether this is a known issue or not.

Regarding the slight clicks, have you noticed this sound when plugged into any other source as it just litterally sounds like your laptop's system sounds.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #573 of 1,177
Hey everyone, another question: any recommendations on a great bluetooth receiver that I can plug into the cans themselves rather than into the cable?

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #574 of 1,177
Hey everyone, another question: any recommendations on a great bluetooth receiver that I can plug into the cans themselves rather than into the cable?
I was trying to look for something similar but didnt come across anything for the 1AM2.. I found the The Qudelix-5K thread which is pretty interesting. I wish they had a 4.4mm balanced port :D

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #577 of 1,177
Really enjoying these so far (comfort and sound).

Have a quick question though (scrolled through and couldn't find a definitive answer in this thread):

Any recommendations for an affordable amp with a balanced out? Want to take advantage of this extra cable if possible.

Also, recommendations for a longer cable? And/or one with volume up/down buttons in addition to the multifunction buttons on the included cable?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #578 of 1,177

Have a quick question though (scrolled through and couldn't find a definitive answer in this thread):

Any recommendations for an affordable amp with a balanced out? Want to take advantage of this extra cable if possible.

Also, recommendations for a longer cable? And/or one with volume up/down buttons in addition to the multifunction buttons on the included cable?

Thanks in advance!
The new ifi zen dac has a 4.4mm balanced out. It's about £130 in the UK

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #579 of 1,177

Thanks in advance!

@egg1111115,

In all honesty, regardless whether you have a socket for 4.4 mm, I suggest just using an adapter then you can use said 4.4 mm with any amp or DAP as long as you have the appropriate adapter.

penon-official.com have some good adapters which I use for this purpose.

I do this myself with quite a few different gear.
From a technical point of view, an electrical signal or audio signal in this case (essentially the same for sake of arguement), will benefit travelling from a larger plug to a smaller plug though I recommend no smaller than 3.5 Balanced.
Also generally, plug length will have some impact on how the electrical &/or audio signal will travel from your source via the cable to your head gear.

veclan.com has some good affordable options for aftermarket cables though there are many others who do this too.

As a final note, most extension cables also will work fine too as long as the adapter plug is long enough in the female end to ensure good electrical signal contact so I suggest looking for as long a standard or Balanced 3.5 mm plug as possible.

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #580 of 1,177
Thanks for the advice everyone. Any recommendations for a cable that has a remote with volume buttons? There's like a million on Amazon and I can't tell which ones are actually crap (some reviews say the new cables make the headphones sound worse??)

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #581 of 1,177
Hi @egg1111115,

Personally, I don't use built in remotes &/or microphones with head gear in general unless it is part of the stock cable & the sound is decent to good.
Honestly, most people try to avoid said cables mainly due to that extra line signal adding potential line buzz if the head gear &/or source is noisy &/or has high current.
So unless you're willing to spend a ridiculously long time going through various cables with line control then just use stock.

So I would suggest unless you really need it, much easier just to pull out & control from your source device or use a BT transmitter/receiver if your source supports BT.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #582 of 1,177

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure if the Fiio Q5s can be called affordable. But it has Bluetooth receiving so you can plug in your headphones (3.5mm single ended, 2.5&4.4mm balanced) and connect the Fiio via Bluetooth to your phone or whatever you use. Also has usb in and optical in (with an adapter)... so it could also be used as desktop amp.

And I just love this portable dac/amp to death. The sound is fantastic!
Fortunately I was able to buy it during black friday sales for some $100 off, lucky me :beyersmile:

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #584 of 1,177
Gorgeous looks. So simple, but they look very well made and comfortable. Why do cheap headphones almost always look way pretier than the high-end pairs? Sure the high end pairs look more luxurious in hand, with better materials etc. but desing and shape wise the affordable ones always beat those pretentious ones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back