Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #76 of 1,177
These are feather light - just got them today. They are not released in Denmark until next month, and couldn't wait, so I imported them from AccessoryJack - big shout out to them, first time shopping there, and got amazing service. So much, that I just placed an order for Sony's in-ear N3 with balanced cable.

Anyway, I will write more when I have listened some more with them. I got a pair of MDR-Z7 + Z1R as well. I wanted the 1AM2 as I feel the other two headsets are to big to wear in public as well as when I'm at work.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #77 of 1,177
These are feather light - just got them today. They are not released in Denmark until next month, and couldn't wait, so I imported them from AccessoryJack - big shout out to them, first time shopping there, and got amazing service. So much, that I just placed an order for Sony's in-ear N3 with balanced cable.

Anyway, I will write more when I have listened some more with them. I got a pair of MDR-Z7 + Z1R as well. I wanted the 1AM2 as feel the other two headsets are to big to wear in public as well as when I'm at work.

Would love to hear a comparison as I'm in the same boat. Love my Z1R, but they're simply not suitable for work. I'm curious to know if the signature is more similar or different.

Edit: Forgot to mention isolation. The Z1R leak sound. Are these the same?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #81 of 1,177
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #83 of 1,177
I just noticed that lol.
Just watched the video now. I don't agree, I think the high end sound is great and better than my 1A's for sure, low end of course is deep but accurate. I love them.
How's it compared to 1A's? I've owned 1A's and the bass was very prominent sometimes too much and bloated. Also wonder if the earcups provide more space for ears? Thanks!

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #84 of 1,177
This review indicates that it is a bit rolled off on top. Ironic given the claimed high frequency spec.

Is it actually rolled off, or just lacks any specific peaks? The Z1R is smooth, but the treble extension is still there (which gives it a lot of air). Though given the price difference, I guess it's not surprising to expect it rolled off.

I remember the 1A had a peak somewhere that I found harsh, but it's been awhile since I've had them. Can anyone comment on isolation? (For work environment)

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #85 of 1,177
How's it compared to 1A's? I've owned 1A's and the bass was very prominent sometimes too much and bloated. Also wonder if the earcups provide more space for ears? Thanks!
I have to say I like my bass I listen to a lot of techno house trance at the gym and at first I thought the bass was not as deep but it is its just cleaner, I like it better I would say it's not bloated but still deep. The earcups I would say are smaller but the ear pad material stretches really good around the ear and seems to be more durable. They are sooooo light.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #86 of 1,177
Is it actually rolled off, or just lacks any specific peaks? The Z1R is smooth, but the treble extension is still there (which gives it a lot of air). Though given the price difference, I guess it's not surprising to expect it rolled off.

I remember the 1A had a peak somewhere that I found harsh, but it's been awhile since I've had them. Can anyone comment on isolation? (For work environment)
I wear them at the gym 7/10 volume and I don't hear anything from outside and when they are on I don't think they leak much volume either.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #87 of 1,177
How so? I haven't heard them yet, or put them on my head, and wouldn't presume to pass comparative judgment till I had. I know they're lighter than the 1A's, have what appears to be an improved pad material & design (fewer seams, memory foam), and includes a balanced 4.4 cable. As for SQ and sound signature, what I've read is positive, i.e. that they're an improvement, but that's always ultimately subjective and in the end yez take yer chances. But the design refinements in this new model all seem very worthwhile to me. Worth enough to merit replacing the previous model with them? That's up to you. But it ain't 'sideways.'
Let's hope they have gone up a few octaves in SQ. They should do, your right, but I'm thinking of going up to planar's for my next upgrade. I should get a chance to hear 'em if my not so near Sony shop stocks them and is still open.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #88 of 1,177
Let's hope they have gone up a few octaves in SQ. They should do, your right, but I'm thinking of going up to planar's for my next upgrade. I should get a chance to hear 'em if my not so near Sony shop stocks them and is still open.

If you've already got 1A's and they're still in good shape, and you've got the upgradeitis, yeah you probably should be looking to a higher shelf and something different. I personally feel the 1AM2 is an improvement over the 1A in physical design and all reports from those who've bought the 1AM2 say the SQ is improved too. But it's still a refinement, 2nd gen, of an existing model. I never got the 1A so I'm exempt lol. I haven't bought new headphones since I got the ma900, in 2013. The 1AM2 is like my patience paying off.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #89 of 1,177
I guess most who own/owned/listened to 1A's are expecting 1AM2 to have a slightly toned down, better controlled bass. If that's not the case it won't be worth upgrading for existing owners, and will remain problematic for many future owners of the new version.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #90 of 1,177
The only shortfall in my Sony MDR-1A with Meze 99 pads is I could do with a bit less bass quantity (same extension) and a slightly smoother high end (no matter what pads I use, they have just a bit more highs than I'd like as I'm treble sensitive). It makes them great for listening very quietly and the Meze give more ear space. So this new set with the pads could be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back