Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #108 of 1,177
Most wireless headphones also come with a wire for use when the battery is empty (if they support this) or for a higher sound quality.

Some of the best wireless headphones I’ve owned was the Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #109 of 1,177
I see a seller on Amazon (US) selling the black version for $220 and another seller at $270 for the silver version (original being $300). Both listed as new and they seem to both have high positive feedback. Might be legit. Wonder why the sudden price drop.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #110 of 1,177
I see a seller on Amazon (US) selling the black version for $220 and another seller at $270 for the silver version (original being $300). Both listed as new and they seem to both have high positive feedback. Might be legit. Wonder why the sudden price drop.

Most likely coming from Japan, China, or some other market in Asia where there is currently a favorable XX currency to dollar exchange. Or maybe they fell off a truck.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #111 of 1,177
Just heard them at PAFI (Portable Audio Festival indonesia)

These didnt get my attention until two fellow sound engineers told me to check them out.

So I did and I bought a pair after listening to them.

They sounded better than thr previous version. Bass is tightet and not as bloated.

My other sony is a cd900st with microfiber pad and a custom cable. I have access to a pair of z1r for almost 7 months.
My other pair of headphones is an HD800s.

I’m gonna try mixing with the 1am2 tomorrow!

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #113 of 1,177
tried this last weekend, as i was looking for a portable headphone to replace my wh1000mk2
IMHO the improvement over the old 1a is not that much. and you lose the solid feeling for lightness.

end up getting the cascade.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #115 of 1,177
1A in terms of build quality was never super solid in the first place so M2 probably is very similar...
To me the only reason to buy M2 is only if bass is tighter and better controlled. I won't buy it if they didn't fix it, and if I buy it blindly I will return it if they didn't fix it.
Other major concern comes from new earpad desing - faux leather pads cover almost entire cup even on the outside. Wonder if it stand the test of time and are they easy to replace...?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #116 of 1,177
1A in terms of build quality was never super solid in the first place so M2 probably is very similar...
To me the only reason to buy M2 is only if bass is tighter and better controlled. I won't buy it if they didn't fix it, and if I buy it blindly I will return it if they didn't fix it.
Other major concern comes from new earpad desing - faux leather pads cover almost entire cup even on the outside. Wonder if it stand the test of time and are they easy to replace...?
Very easy to replace like on the 1A. Also not only the bass is tighter but the mid bass isnt as bloated. Also the highs are much better and dont have that treble cut like on the 1A. the 1am2 is an improvement in all regards. Better sound, more comfortable, lower msrp and the build feels not more solid but more refind that they pretty surely wont start squeeking like the 1A.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #117 of 1,177
My 1A never squeaked, but I bought it in late 2017 so they probably fixed it in the manufacturing process. M2 doesn't have metal band anymore, but maybe it won't affect sturdiness... Glad to hear M2 has better bass, I can't wait to find it for myself and hopefully the improvement will be confirmed in the coming tests.
I know 1A was like super expensive in US, but here in Europe it was much cheaper msrp was 219 euros, now msrp for M2 is 249 euros so in Europe price went up. Nevertheless I'm probably gonna get it when it drops to about 150-170 euros :)

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #118 of 1,177
My 1A never squeaked, but I bought it in late 2017 so they probably fixed it in the manufacturing process. M2 doesn't have metal band anymore, but maybe it won't affect sturdiness... Glad to hear M2 has better bass, I can't wait to find it for myself and hopefully the improvement will be confirmed in the coming tests.
I know 1A was like super expensive in US, but here in Europe it was much cheaper msrp was 219 euros, now msrp for M2 is 249 euros so in Europe price went up. Nevertheless I'm probably gonna get it when it drops to about 150-170 euros :)
bought one just last month and on heavy use it will squeak. they never changed any manufacturing process

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #119 of 1,177
tried this last weekend, as i was looking for a portable headphone to replace my wh1000mk2
IMHO the improvement over the old 1a is not that much. and you lose the solid feeling for lightness.

end up getting the cascade.

Cascade is definitely the better technical headphone, but it was way too bassy and thick on the mids for me. I also didn't find the headband very comfortable (bad pressure point on top) and had other issues like a loose connector, cosmetic defect, and a squeaky hinge. Had to return them. The build quality didn't seem worth the price I paid, but I probably just got really unlucky with the pair I got. It's their first over-ear after all.

For anyone interested, I'm ordering the MDR-1AM2 now. I like to give in-depth impressions, so I'll post here again once I get them. Will also compare with my Z1R.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #120 of 1,177
Cascade is definitely the better technical headphone, but it was way too bassy and thick on the mids for me. I also didn't find the headband very comfortable (bad pressure point on top) and had other issues like a loose connector, cosmetic defect, and a squeaky hinge. Had to return them. The build quality didn't seem worth the price I paid, but I probably just got really unlucky with the pair I got. It's their first over-ear after all.

For anyone interested, I'm ordering the MDR-1AM2 now. I like to give in-depth impressions, so I'll post here again once I get them. Will also compare with my Z1R.

I backed off the Cascade when I realized getting it, along with the ALO 4.4 balanced cable, costs $50 more than buying the MDR-1AM2, plus a Sennheiser HD660s, and a Nintendo Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back