Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #138 of 1,177
Got a pair from RazorDog! Audio. OOTB the bass was wonky and the upper mids were shrill. Broke them in with 50 hours of loud EDM and they completely transformed. I think Sony has a winner!

@ctaxxxx how does the SS of the 1AM2 compare with that of the Z1R?
Sound signature?

The 1AM2 has more of a focus on the sub-bass and upper mids, while the Z1R is tilted more towards the mid-bass and lower mids giving it a warmer, fuller sound. 1AM2 bass is more fun sounding, while the Z1R is more reference with better texture and dynamics.

Z1R's treble is in another league by being smoother and extending further than any other closed back, except maybe the TH-900. Soundstage is much larger on the Z1R.

Remember, we're comparing a $300 consumer headphone to a $2K flagship (though you can get them around $1.4K now)

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #139 of 1,177
Sound signature?

The 1AM2 has more of a focus on the sub-bass and upper mids, while the Z1R is tilted more towards the mid-bass and lower mids giving it a warmer, fuller sound. 1AM2 bass is more fun sounding, while the Z1R is more reference with better texture and dynamics.

Z1R's treble is in another league by being smoother and extending further than any other closed back, except maybe the TH-900. Soundstage is much larger on the Z1R.

Remember, we're comparing a $300 consumer headphone to a $2K flagship (though you can get them around $1.4K now)
Thanks! So, overall do the Z1Rs sound "bassier"?

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #140 of 1,177
Thanks! So, overall do the Z1Rs sound "bassier"?

Not really. It's sub is not exaggerated like the 1AM2, so it doesn't give off that feeling. It's just bassier than most TOTL headphones, since they tend to be lighter in bass.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #141 of 1,177
Not really. It's sub is not exaggerated like the 1AM2, so it doesn't give off that feeling. It's just bassier than most TOTL headphones, since they tend to be lighter in bass.
I find so-called reference (flat) tuning way too mid-centric. The science behind it is that flat actual FR is perceived as mid-centric: Fletcher–Munson curves - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #142 of 1,177
Yeah I have to agree with Venture Guy these NEED time for burn in. They sound so good after a few days of owning them. Has anyone experimented pad rolling with these? Wonder how ZMF, Brainwavz, Denoki pads would fair

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #143 of 1,177
Tried it with my Sony NW-ZX300 and was impressed. Spent about half n hour listening to my anime OSTs and some classic songs.

It's very light and comfy, doesn't have that heart thumping or punchy bass but the sub-bass was juicy. Mids was okay-ish (coming from FAD Pandora VI, I have to get used to most headphones not having that luscious mids) and treble-wise it's definitely smooth.

For a $300 headphones, I think it's fairly priced. I'm sure Sony is still experimenting around with their new Liquid polymer thinggy so it's interesting to see where will they go next

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #144 of 1,177
OK Boys & Girls... It's MODDING TIME!

Many people are noticing (complaining about) bass bloat. Remember that hardly any closed back cans are actually closed; they are ported. This mod is simple and fun. I covered the ports with 3M Transpore tape. Transpore has tiny holes punched in it, so it is reducing the port size, not completely closing it. The port is located on the top of the back of the ear cups. You will see a slot that has a hole in it... that hole is the port. I covered the entire slot. Viola! Bloat tamed! Yes, closing off the port will reduce low frequency extension. Have fun!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #145 of 1,177
Has anyone experimented pad rolling with these?
I have the MDR-1A, the slightly more heavy forefather. It's said to have a touch less high mids and a touch more mid bass than these. Stock pads are ok but are a bit small. The next larger option is the Meze 99 pads I settled on ($20 direct from Meze.com). Snug to get on, you have to be careful to align the plastic under the pad after you stretch to wrap them around the outer cup, no pad will click in place unless you're prepared to cut holes in it and that isn't necessary. The highs are similar, maybe a bit more detail, soundstage more expansive, mid bass a bit tighter, and sub bass is outrageous in quantity, and quality. It can make you dizzy, I am not joking. The mids are slightly more present so they have a bit of a W response. The extra highs and sub means you can listen more quietly for a longer time and not miss anything. My ears are above average circumference, and fit in that way - but they are a bit flatter against my head than for most, so they will not touch the inner driver. If one needs more thickness, and a bit less bass and more treble details, the Audio Technica MSR7 pads are another option ($15 o- n EBay). The mids are a bit farther back on them. The Brainwavz HM5 pads could work, for some who want it thicker still. The bass is tighter, and the mids more recessed like MSR7 pads, the highs are similar. I have tried their flat, not angled. They both are kind of oddly big looking on these.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #146 of 1,177
Hy

So first days thats available in my country.

Most important for me is the on the go noise Isolation.

Does anybody know the -db specs?

If you are a owner,What do you hear when you are in a train or bus or on the street with many cars?

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #148 of 1,177
I have decided to return them and stick with my 1a's as I don't think the difference in price is warranted, the sound is really not that different if you have the 1a's. If you are looking for a new set and don't have the 1a's they sound fantastic as do the 1a's and would definitely pick them up.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #149 of 1,177
I have decided to return them and stick with my 1a's as I don't think the difference in price is warranted, the sound is really not that different if you have the 1a's. If you are looking for a new set and don't have the 1a's they sound fantastic as do the 1a's and would definitely pick them up.
wut ??? you dont hear the 3db treble difference ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back