Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #91 of 1,177
Just got them imported to EU yesterday from accessoryjack for reasonable price. They are very light, cusion is soft and they sit very well. As they are light, its easy to move around with them without discomfort.
Sound through balanced is amazing, havent tried standard yet. To compare them with balanced n3bp, even though i know its not comparable, these dont have such heavy bass but i think that overall they are very well balanced and an option to balanced iems for variety. Cant imagine wearing them outside or at gym as somebody mentioned, they are huge :) To me its a home sofa thing.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #92 of 1,177
If you've already got 1A's and they're still in good shape, and you've got the upgradeitis, yeah you probably should be looking to a higher shelf and something different. I personally feel the 1AM2 is an improvement over the 1A in physical design and all reports from those who've bought the 1AM2 say the SQ is improved too. But it's still a refinement, 2nd gen, of an existing model. I never got the 1A so I'm exempt lol. I haven't bought new headphones since I got the ma900, in 2013. The 1AM2 is like my patience paying off.
That makes a lot of sense, you will see a significant upgrade and five years is a good period to do this.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #94 of 1,177
These are feather light - just got them today. They are not released in Denmark until next month, and couldn't wait, so I imported them from AccessoryJack - big shout out to them, first time shopping there, and got amazing service. So much, that I just placed an order for Sony's in-ear N3 with balanced cable.

Anyway, I will write more when I have listened some more with them. I got a pair of MDR-Z7 + Z1R as well. I wanted the 1AM2 as I feel the other two headsets are to big to wear in public as well as when I'm at work.

Any update?

It's either these, the 1MORE Triple Driver Over Ear, or Meze 99 (Classic or Neo). Or go the IEM route. I'm leaning on 1AM2 since I won't need to buy a separate cable for the 4.4mm plug.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #95 of 1,177
Any update?

It's either these, the 1MORE Triple Driver Over Ear, or Meze 99 (Classic or Neo). Or go the IEM route. I'm leaning on 1AM2 since I won't need to buy a separate cable for the 4.4mm plug.

The sound is very good - I'm not so technical, but compared to my other Sony's they might be a bit bright in the high notes, but overall they have impressive sound for the money. Just like the 1A my ears gets a little sweaty which they don't if I use Beoplay's H lineup or my other Sonys.

I also just got my N3 balanced in-ear from AccessoryJack, and they are the best in-ear I've tried sofar. And they have amazing sound as well. I tried the N1 from Sony a few months ago, and couldn't stand wearing them, but these are a keeper :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #96 of 1,177
These or the AT M40x/m50x or v moda m100/crossfade wireless 2(hybrid as far as detectable wired 3.5mm as well as 15 hours Bluetooth wireless
I want something good for gaming on my computer but can also take them on walks with my dog (NO ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING cans) and can be good for plugging into my iPad and watch Netflix in the car on road trips etc.
Since these are $300 (which is on the the high end for portable headphones) Yes I know beats are $250-300 but not even an option lol

Any opinions/suggestions?

P.S. these don’t look that bad for going out of the house with

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #97 of 1,177
These or the AT M40x/m50x or v moda m100/crossfade wireless 2
If you can't afford these, the Sony MDR-1A is still out there. They may lower the price, you can find open box deals between $100 and $150 usually. Get those. If the pads are a bit small, get the Meze 99 pads ($20 from their website). With or without those pads, they have more bass. The Meze pads increase the sub bass even more, while keeping the midrange very full, and not recessed. Their treble is smoother and resolves better than the harsh sound of the ATH-M50x or the somewhat muddy yet peaky V-Moda, which are small on the head and ears.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #98 of 1,177
These or the AT M40x/m50x or v moda m100/crossfade wireless 2(hybrid as far as detectable wired 3.5mm as well as 15 hours Bluetooth wireless
I want something good for gaming on my computer but can also take them on walks with my dog (NO ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING cans) and can be good for plugging into my iPad and watch Netflix in the car on road trips etc.
Since these are $300 (which is on the the high end for portable headphones) Yes I know beats are $250-300 but not even an option lol

Any opinions/suggestions?

P.S. these don’t look that bad for going out of the house with

Have you looked into the new Audeze Mobius? Seems like a great value deal.

I've always liked the Sony's for watching movies and such. However, I recommend more V-shaped phones for gaming though as it's more exciting. Sony is typically a smoother sound, or at least the Z7 and Z1R are.

Will possibly be ordering the 1AM2 myself. Now just deciding on this or the iBasso IT04...

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #99 of 1,177
The sound is very good - I'm not so technical, but compared to my other Sony's they might be a bit bright in the high notes, but overall they have impressive sound for the money. Just like the 1A my ears gets a little sweaty which they don't if I use Beoplay's H lineup or my other Sonys.

I also just got my N3 balanced in-ear from AccessoryJack, and they are the best in-ear I've tried sofar. And they have amazing sound as well. I tried the N1 from Sony a few months ago, and couldn't stand wearing them, but these are a keeper :)
Do you have the Beoplay H6? if so how do they compare with these? what is your personal preference?

I had the 1As and lost them so instead of getting a new pair I said I'd wait for the new ones but in the meantime I got a pair of Beoplay H6 2nd gen from amazon which means it's either the 1AM2 or the H6 because I can still send them back, thank you.

I like the H6's sound(maybe was expecting a bit more)but a bit disappointed that at that price it has somewhat of a ridiculous cable and it does not have a bag since they are meant to be portable headphones, the biggest letdown though is that I feel that they leak a lot! I don't like bothering the people next to me when I'm around, not sure that was the case with the 1As.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #100 of 1,177

Do you think the heat on the ears is due to the 1AM2 being more closed/sealed than the Z7 & Z1R, i.e. not breathing? Or is it because the pads are not quite 'over-ear?' More like semi-on-ear?

I know its apples to oranges, but what are your thoughts on 1AM2 vs. Z7 for all-round use? I don't need a portable really, though it'd be more convenient on the occasional long weekend vacation. But most of the time, it's just listening at home, and sometimes I need a closed (or even mostly-closed) headphone. Once the "new" wears off your 1AM2, say a year from now, if you had some listening time on your hands and a comfy chair, between 1AM2 and Z7 which do you think you'd pick up??

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #101 of 1,177
Do you have the Beoplay H6? if so how do they compare with these? what is your personal preference?

I had the 1As and lost them so instead of getting a new pair I said I'd wait for the new ones but in the meantime I got a pair of Beoplay H6 2nd gen from amazon which means it's either the 1AM2 or the H6 because I can still send them back, thank you.
I like the H6's sound(maybe was expecting a bit more)but a bit disappointed that at that price it has somewhat of a ridiculous cable and it does not have a bag since they are meant to be portable headphones, the biggest letdown though is that I feel that they leak a lot! I don't like bothering the people next to me when I'm around, not sure that was the case with the 1As.

Funny you should mention it, because I actually thought of these yesterday when trying to figure out which headphones they reminded me of. I have had Beoplay H6 (1gen briefly - they were too bass-empty), H6 2gen, H7, H8, H8i, H9 and H9i (not all at the same time) and they remind me a bit of the 2gen H6. I don't have them anymore, I'd say the sound is simular as I recall them, and right now they are (in Denmark at least) sometimes very cheap - under 200$. The retail price in Denmark for the 1am2 are around 330$ which is what the H6 are when not on sale.

Do you think the heat on the ears is due to the 1AM2 being more closed/sealed than the Z7 & Z1R, i.e. not breathing? Or is it because the pads are not quite 'over-ear?' More like semi-on-ear?
I know its apples to oranges, but what are your thoughts on 1AM2 vs. Z7 for all-round use? I don't need a portable really, though it'd be more convenient on the occasional long weekend vacation. But most of the time, it's just listening at home, and sometimes I need a closed (or even mostly-closed) headphone. Once the "new" wears off your 1AM2, say a year from now, if you had some listening time on your hands and a comfy chair, between 1AM2 and Z7 which do you think you'd pick up??

The earpads are not as deep / thick - and they sit tighter around the ears, but as I recall the 1A they were thicker and deeper so I'm not sure that is what causes the heat. I'd imagine a person with big ears might have trouble fitting them.

I love the 1am2 for being so light - and if I look away from the sweat when wearing them while moving, I think I'll keep these as a suplement for my 1ZR which are used at home exclusive. I don't find much use for my Z7 anymore, cause they are more a home headphone as well. Sound-wise I cannot comment already.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #102 of 1,177
Funny you should mention it, because I actually thought of these yesterday when trying to figure out which headphones they reminded me of. I have had Beoplay H6 (1gen briefly - they were too bass-empty), H6 2gen, H7, H8, H8i, H9 and H9i (not all at the same time) and they remind me a bit of the 2gen H6. I don't have them anymore, I'd say the sound is simular as I recall them, and right now they are (in Denmark at least) sometimes very cheap - under 200$. The retail price in Denmark for the 1am2 are around 330$ which is what the H6 are when not on sale.
If they do sound similar then I might just stick with the Beoplay H6, I actually got them on sale from amazon for 169 euros so that's a good price I suppose.

I really liked the 1As, they served me well as portable headphones, only thing I wished they had tighter bass and a bit bigger earpads since I have big ears and had trouble fitting them.

Thank you for the info!

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #103 of 1,177
Audeze Mobius? I recommend more V-shaped phones for gaming. Sony is typically a smoother sound, at least Z7 and Z1R are.
The Mobius is intriguing. Its main issue for me is that it must be powered, and while it may get LCD 2.2 pre-fazor bass levels according to some, that's not very v shaped, since the LCD tends to generally be flat from 20 hz to 1 hz. Every LCD lacks the extra sub bass quantity I'd want, even if they are extended. The MDR-1A with Meze pads, for me, is V shaped enough. It has more high end than the Z7 and Z1R, while not being too much. The sub bass is incredible already but those pads enhance it even more, without it bleeding into the mids. Midrange isn't recessed either it's just that there is so much bass it could seem like that. It doesn't have that distant recessed midrange heard in the Fostex / Denon or EMU cans. It needs no power and it's very affordably priced.

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #105 of 1,177
Does Beoplay make wired headphones? I don't know how anyone can listen to wireless over wired. Imo the sound quality is just not the same at this point in wireless technology, never been a fan of noise cancelling either.
Yes the Beoplay H6 is a wired headphones.

I've never had wireless headphones but I suppose they can be more comfortable while moving around for portable headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back