Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #61 of 1,177
Let me clarify, I put an extra Z in those in error. The MDR-1R was the inferior cans I heard, and the MDR-1A was much improved, better extension in sub and highs and better mids. Made better with Meze pads. The MDR-Z7 of course is superior and the MDR-Z1R of course is their superior flagship. The MDR-1A with Meze pads is 90% as good as the MDR-Z7 to me overall, with more high mid detail some feel the MDR-Z7 misses. Its sub bass extends lower than an MDR-Z7, using Meze pads, and as low or lower than the MDR-Z1A even.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #64 of 1,177
Yes but only very few will work because Sony made it in a way that the first few mm after the plug need to be very small.
Hmm.. I am getting an aftermarket cable for these. Not sure if you guys know Trevor from Norne Audio. There's this cable called Zoetic which he offers, extremely comfortable and amazing low end response. Would be perfect for the 1AM2.
I own the Zoetic for the Z7.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #65 of 1,177
Hmm.. I am getting an aftermarket cable for these. Not sure if you guys know Trevor from Norne Audio. There's this cable called Zoetic which he offers, extremely comfortable and amazing low end response. Would be perfect for the 1AM2.
I own the Zoetic for the Z7.
I do not believe in cables changing sound. I use properly made once with a nice conducter and thats all. But everyone can do like they want

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #66 of 1,177
I do not believe in cables changing sound. I use properly made once with a nice conducter and thats all. But everyone can do like they want
To each his own. I have spent thousands on cables and can swear on the fact about cables changing sound :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #69 of 1,177
Yes but only very few will work because Sony made it in a way that the first few mm after the plug need to be very small.

Did the 1A have a twist&click locking connection? That appears to be what this guy discovers on his 1AM2 at about 4:12.

Edit: Incorrect, it looks that way but it is not 'twist&lock.' Keep reading below. Worthwhile video though, get some good views of the silver version.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #70 of 1,177
Did the 1A have a twist&click locking connection? That appears to be what this guy discovers on his 1AM2 at about 4:12.

Thank you for this. Although, I believe a connector without a locking mechanism would also work fine. Need to check now if an aftermarket connector is available with the twist and lock thing.
And yes, the MDR-1A didn't have his design.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #73 of 1,177

Thank you for this. Although, I believe a connector without a locking mechanism would also work fine. Need to check now if an aftermarket connector is available with the twist and lock thing.
And yes, the MDR-1A didn't have his design.
the paper damping on the back of the driver has no hole in it, lets hope that the bass will be tighter
Seem's a sideways step. I'll stick to my 1a's.
No locking same system as on the 1A. I dont know why he spins it, does not need to be.

The bass has been improved, but its less in quantity. Also the highs are much better. They finally removed the mid bass bloat

Sound wise its a upgrade through and through. Also its more comfy and lighter. Only the material on some parts got a little cheaper.

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #74 of 1,177
Seem's a sideways step. I'll stick to my 1a's.

How so? I haven't heard them yet, or put them on my head, and wouldn't presume to pass comparative judgment till I had. I know they're lighter than the 1A's, have what appears to be an improved pad material & design (fewer seams, memory foam), and includes a balanced 4.4 cable. As for SQ and sound signature, what I've read is positive, i.e. that they're an improvement, but that's always ultimately subjective and in the end yez take yer chances. But the design refinements in this new model all seem very worthwhile to me. Worth enough to merit replacing the previous model with them? That's up to you. But it ain't 'sideways.'

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #75 of 1,177
No locking same system as on the 1A. I dont know why he spins it, does not need to be.

It sure looks like he twists and it locks, but you're right that is not what is happening. I asked my wife (she's Japanese) ... according to her he only says the plug goes in easily. So it's just he was twisting/rotating it when it went fully inserted. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back