Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #31 of 1,177
There is no problem replacing both earpads on both the models. they are easily orderable from the sony service. About the headband it shouldnt wear anytime soon.
I used the 1A with a lot of sweat and no problems with wear ever. (I own them since like 3 years)
vietnam. high humidity.
6-12months - corners/sides start to chop off or too greasy from sweat... 12months+ super ripped.

it would really be nice to have them last longer ;p

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #33 of 1,177
after owning mdr-1a, mdrz7 and others i would say - easily accessible and serviceable earpads + headband or go home
I had both. The MDR-Z7 ear pads were great and seemed durable. I just couldn't handle it being too small for my head fully open. The MDR-1A actually is large enough with 1/2 click on each side to spare. They're pretty well built, I don't see having to replace the headband ever. The ear pads work but are a bit small so I put Meze 99 ear pads ($20 on their site) on them and they are at a whole new level. The absolute best fully portable pair I have (also bought longer cable and hard case they fold flat into on EBay for $20-$30 more). The pads increase sub bass, and true mids and improved the stereo field also.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #34 of 1,177
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #36 of 1,177
sonyseiwa YT presentation video. it's all japanese, but you some good looks. If you really want to know what he's saying at any particular spot, I can probably give a rough translation. It's all positive of course, it's a sony product and it's a sonyseiwa video.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 1,177
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 1,177
Found out about these because I had the mdr-1A and just lost them while travelling so wanted to get a new pair but found these and will wait to see how they compare.

I really loved the mdr-1A but I hope to improve 2 things, first a tighter bass and second slightly bigger earpads (my ears are a bit big so I don't suppose it's a problem for many)

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 1,177
Found out about these because I had the mdr-1A and just lost them while travelling so wanted to get a new pair but found these and will wait to see how they compare.

I really loved the mdr-1A but I hope to improve 2 things, first a tighter bass and second slightly bigger earpads (my ears are a bit big so I don't suppose it's a problem for many)
The Bass did improve, but the earpads did not get bigger and stretching them bigger is actually kinda harder now. Sorry to tell you :/ Sound is way better tho, the highs are really nice now and not so bloated from the mid-bass like before.

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #43 of 1,177
The Bass did improve, but the earpads did not get bigger and stretching them bigger is actually kinda harder now. Sorry to tell you :/ Sound is way better tho, the highs are really nice now and not so bloated from the mid-bass like before.
Thank you for the info! it's nice to know that the bass did improve and overall sound as well. As for the earpads I'll try to live with it as long as they are comfy

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #44 of 1,177
Thank you for the info! it's nice to know that the bass did improve and overall sound as well. As for the earpads I'll try to live with it as long as they are comfy
I can tolerate stock ear pads on the old model but prefer the ear space I get changing them. The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads are an option ($10-$15 on EBay or Amazon). They give more space for ears and soundstage. They add a bit more detail on top, making them sound more pricey, without being any brighter (they're already pretty bright, but bearable). They seem to control a little of the mid bass bump, and keep the sub bass very similar. The comfort is amazing. The $20 MEZE 99 pads ($20 direct from the site) were harder to get on (both wrap around the outside of the ear cups, they don't click in place like the stock. You have to carefully align an inner plastic ring under the pad, once you'd carefully stretched them on. At first they are a lot firmer but with the use of them and body heat they soften up and are fairly comfortable. They add that extra space, have similar treble to stock & tighten lower mids. They increase the mid bass punch without bloating it, and the sub bass actually hits harder lower. Mids are fuller, and better than ATH-MSR7, or stock pads. Great for listening quietly - you won't need to crank them for sparkle or boom.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #45 of 1,177
I can tolerate stock ear pads on the old model but prefer the ear space I get changing them. The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads are an option ($10-$15 on EBay or Amazon). They give more space for ears and soundstage. They add a bit more detail on top, making them sound more pricey, without being any brighter (they're already pretty bright, but bearable). They seem to control a little of the mid bass bump, and keep the sub bass very similar. The comfort is amazing. The $20 MEZE 99 pads ($20 direct from the site) were harder to get on (both wrap around the outside of the ear cups, they don't click in place like the stock. You have to carefully align an inner plastic ring under the pad, once you'd carefully stretched them on. At first they are a lot firmer but with the use of them and body heat they soften up and are fairly comfortable. They add that extra space, have similar treble to stock & tighten lower mids. They increase the mid bass punch without bloating it, and the sub bass actually hits harder lower. Mids are fuller, and better than ATH-MSR7, or stock pads. Great for listening quietly - you won't need to crank them for sparkle or boom.

I actually before losing the headphones I read some post of yours about the meze 99 pads and since I was having problems with the stock pads I thought about changing them. We'll see how it goes with the new headphones and will change them with either the ATH-MSR7 or Meze 99, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back