Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #723 of 1,177
Recently sent my X2HR back to amazon due to comfort issues and now I'm thinking about trying these Sony's. Are these any good for PC use? As far as comfort goes am looking for a pair of cans I can wear for 5hrs+ straight without fatigue.
They are perfect for long-use sessions. They are incredibly light, the memory foam earpads are deep and soft, and the audio reproduction is more or less typical Sony house sound.

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #725 of 1,177
Yes, they are the most comfortable over the ear earphones I have used.
I recently acquired these and they turned out to be my favorite portables as far as comfort and technology of the driver.

I ended up working on them to see how far they can go in elevating, and this what I have so far.

Before:
Sony 1aM2 Stock csd.jpg
35db down & graph low down to 200hz instead of usual 350hz.
After:Sony 1am2 csd Feb22 right sd.jpg
I think they are now capable of the highest resolve.
Pretty much cleaned it up.

I changed the FR as well:
Sony 1am2 FR comp Feb22a.jpg
But it should be considered an approximate of the actual response, as the headphones do not sound bright. The trebles sounding neutral and bass is extended.
This is a work in progress.
:)

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #727 of 1,177
If the 1A & 1AM2 were both an option brand new for $150 right now, which would you choose and why?

Thank you
I would go with the 1AM2. It has better overall clarity throughout the frequency range, better detail retrieval, improved soundstage, and it's more comfortable.

The 1A does feel a but more robust in terms of overall build, but that being said, I haven't had any issues with either one of them as far as durability. I still have both and listen to each of them depending on my mood, but if I had to pick one, it would be the 1AM2.

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #728 of 1,177
I would go with the 1AM2. It has better overall clarity throughout the frequency range, better detail retrieval, improved soundstage, and it's more comfortable.

The 1A does feel a but more robust in terms of overall build, but that being said, I haven't had any issues with either one of them as far as durability. I still have both and listen to each of them depending on my mood, but if I had to pick one, it would be the 1AM2.

Thank you sir!

How much is too much to pay? Is around $150-160 new (sealed) reasonable at this point in their lifecycle?

Mar 2, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #729 of 1,177
Thank you sir!

How much is too much to pay? Is around $150-160 new (sealed) reasonable at this point in their lifecycle?
I think that's a great price for new.

I purchased my pair for $129 Refurbished from Secondipity. I couldn't tell the difference. Looked brand new w/ all cables. But $150 - $160 for new is really good.

Mar 2, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #730 of 1,177
The 1am2 has a newer aluminum coated driver over the older 1a unit.
Its simply better.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #731 of 1,177
If the 1A & 1AM2 were both an option brand new for $150 right now, which would you choose and why?

Thank you

I'll take 1A. I have both, 1A & 1AM2. I use them during my commute and working in the office. The SQ is not that much different, however, the build quality is. Compared to 1A, 1AM2 is like a plastic toy. YMMV. $150 for brand new is a good price for either of them.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #732 of 1,177
I'll take 1A. I have both, 1A & 1AM2. I use them during my commute and working in the office. The SQ is not that much different, however, the build quality is. Compared to 1A, 1AM2 is like a plastic toy. YMMV. $150 for brand new is a good price for either of them.

It's the toyishness that contributes to the great comfort, it's very light, and while toyish it doesn't seem fragile. SO what's more important, sound/comfort or perceived sturdiness?

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #733 of 1,177
It's the toyishness that contributes to the great comfort, it's very light, and while toyish it doesn't seem fragile. SO what's more important, sound/comfort or perceived sturdiness?
I have had my 1am2 version for over a year with no problem of wear issues; also the 1am2 has a lower impedance (16 ohms) than the 1a.

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #734 of 1,177

You assume that 1A is not comfortable, this is not correct. I wear them 6+ hours everyday. IMHO, there is not that much different in sound/comfort between 1a & 1am2, especially for my use, but I don't do critical listening at work or during my commute. YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #735 of 1,177
You assume that 1A is not comfortable, this is not correct. I wear them 6+ hours everyday. IMHO, there is not that much different in sound/comfort between 1a & 1am2, especially for my use, but I don't do critical listening at work or during my commute. YMMV.
His point was not about comfort, but that the choice of build materials has not been in many cases a fault of the 1am2. In fact some have complained that the 1a had squeaks in the ear cup housing pivot. Some people are particular. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back