Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #736 of 1,177
Thank you everyone - I got convinced to try out a refurb pair for $130.

(I had a $30 extra coupon to use on ebay to bring them down nearly to $100)

Reviews seem great on the refurbs and I've actually bought other refurb items from Secondipity before and been very impressed.

I have a question about the jack on the 1AM2. Can you use a standard 3.5mm cable with it?

It's my understanding that running them balanced yields some nice benefits, and I may try that eventually, but I also would like to occasionally hook them up normally to a FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4 or Earstudio ES100 for wireless usage around the house...

But I'm worried about that jack. Am I reading it right? It's non-standard in some way?

Perhaps ultimately I'll use them balanced with one of those wireless options also (since both offer it in 2.5mm), but again, getting additional non Sony cables to do balanced (or otherwise) -- that's a hangup here, yeah?

Thank you

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #737 of 1,177
Thank you everyone - I got convinced to try out a refurb pair for $130.

(I had a $30 extra coupon to use on ebay to bring them down nearly to $100)

Reviews seem great on the refurbs and I've actually bought other refurb items from Secondipity before and been very impressed.

I have a question about the jack on the 1AM2. Can you use a standard 3.5mm cable with it?

It's my understanding that running them balanced yields some nice benefits, and I may try that eventually, but I also would like to occasionally hook them up normally to a FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4 or Earstudio ES100 for wireless usage around the house...

But I'm worried about that jack. Am I reading it right? It's non-standard in some way?

Perhaps ultimately I'll use them balanced with one of those wireless options also (since both offer it in 2.5mm), but again, getting additional non Sony cables to do balanced (or otherwise) -- that's a hangup here, yeah?

Thank you

I use the Sony-original 3.5 -> 3.5 extension chord from the MDR-ZX700 for connecting to "normal" amplifiers. It works great!

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #739 of 1,177
That comes with them or just another Sony branded one?

Are the plugs reversed vs normal ones (I've seen that mentioned a few places)

That chord came with the MDR-ZX700 and is a female -> male and takes the short 1AM2 cable without messing with the sound, the MDR-1AM2 only has two very short cables: one for smartphones and one for balanced.

A similar cable should be obtainable, I have no idea how it should be soldered or which connectors are the best but apparently it's possible to make it work.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #741 of 1,177
Those are interesting headphones - Love them?
How do they compare to the 1AM2 for you?

They are a consumer clone of the MDR-7510, and as such they doesn't have a "fun" sound. Almost only midrange, while pleasant sounding not a very well balanced sound. Very comfortable though, I use them for portable DAW use and tracking the instrument I'm playing. Never for enjoying music. The MDR-1AM2 sounds infinitely better for listening to music.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #742 of 1,177
Anyone here have any comparison to the 1000 XM3?

I was listening to those extensively last night at the store for about the 50th time…

And I don’t dislike them…maybe could have used a touch of EQ for me, but I wouldn’t be unhappy owning them at all.

But for my purposes they seem like overkill as I don’t need noise cancellation at all and would rather just have really great wired quality. - and I can handle alternative methods of BT on my own if wireless is desired.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #743 of 1,177

I was listening to those extensively last night at the store for about the 50th time…

And I don’t dislike them…maybe could have used a touch of EQ for me, but I wouldn’t be unhappy owning them at all.

But for my purposes they seem like overkill as I don’t need noise cancellation at all and would rather just have really great wired quality. - and I can handle alternative methods of BT on my own if wireless is desired.

I'm sure there are plenty of XM3-owners, it's greatest feat is the advanced noise cancelling though. I haven't heard them so I don't know, but I have the WH-H900N which some say sounds better than the XM3 and they are no match for the MDR-1AM2. But I enjoy them a lot when commuting, nice to loose the cable and they definetely sounds good enough for the purpose.

Sometimes I use the Urbanears Plattan (BT) when out as they are very small and light for a BT-can, not the last word in high-res but they sound very punchy like a classic JBL of cans :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #744 of 1,177

The 1AM2 sound much cleaner than the XM3. I also have the XM3, and while good for travel and even the gym (the do get a little hot, however), I don't reach for them for pure audio enjoyment.

The 1AM2 comes with both a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable AND a 3.5mm to 4.4mm cable. I had FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4, and Radsone ES100, and all can run balanced via 2.5mm, so you'd need a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter. I actually ended up returning/selling each of the small portable BT AMP/DACs above and purchased the FiiO Q5s instead, which comes standard with both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced slots. The only drawback is that it's not as portable and does not have a mic for calls.

If you really need mobility as part of your setup and you want to run balanced, then any of the above will work. The ES100 has hands down the best App with an excellent equalizer. Both the UP4 and ES100 can be had for about $99, while the BTR5 is getting pushed to $159-$179. Personally, the value at the price the BTR5 is going for is not great and would recommend either the UP4 or ES100.

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #745 of 1,177
The 1AM2 sound much cleaner than the XM3. I also have the XM3, and while good for travel and even the gym (the do get a little hot, however), I don't reach for them for pure audio enjoyment.

The 1AM2 comes with both a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable AND a 3.5mm to 4.4mm cable. I had FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4, and Radsone ES100, and all can run balanced via 2.5mm, so you'd need a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter. I actually ended up returning/selling each of the small portable BT AMP/DACs above and purchased the FiiO Q5s instead, which comes standard with both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced slots. The only drawback is that it's not as portable and does not have a mic for calls.

If you really need mobility as part of your setup and you want to run balanced, then any of the above will work. The ES100 has hands down the best App with an excellent equalizer. Both the UP4 and ES100 can be had for about $99, while the BTR5 is getting pushed to $159-$179. Personally, the value at the price the BTR5 is going for is not great and would recommend either the UP4 or ES100.

Awesome post - thank YOU!!

Nailed all the questions I had!!

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #746 of 1,177

Are you of the opinion that running the 1AM2 balanced is worth it/noticeably better?

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #747 of 1,177
Are you of the opinion that running the 1AM2 balanced is worth it/noticeably better?
It's audibly better and that's how I run it, but it's not night and day. The best way to describe it, is it's like a HQ image vs. and HQ image that's sharper; unbalanced is warmer overall. Balanced, everything is a bit more defined, cleaner, overall imaging is better, etc. That being said, if you are listening whilst doing something else (cleaning, laundry, etc.), then 3.5mm unbalanced will be perfectly acceptable and sound great. For pure listening enjoyment/"critical" listening, I would recommend balanced when possible.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #748 of 1,177
Are super short balanced cables a "thing" do you know?

Ideally, I'd like cables that are only 1-2' long (max), as when I'm using something like an ES100 (or the other small DAC/Amps), I like to clip those to my shirt and lots of extra cable is really a nuisance.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #749 of 1,177
Are super short balanced cables a "thing" do you know?

Ideally, I'd like cables that are only 1-2' long (max), as when I'm using something like an ES100 (or the other small DAC/Amps), I like to clip those to my shirt and lots of extra cable is really a nuisance.
If you're looking to save money, then AliExpress is the way to go, although you will have to wait a bit longer. There are some sellers that ship from the US (vs China) so it'll be faster (5 days or so).

Here's a 4ft cable that's 3.5mm to 2.5mm on AliExpress. I have a couple of Earmax cables and they work well.

If you want shorter, you may have to look at a custom cable, but that's probably going to be more expensive.

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #750 of 1,177

May I ask why you sold the small BT receivers, and how happy you are with the Q5S relative to them? If this is too off-topic let's use the 1AM2 as the headphones for comparison :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I have an ES100 that I find way inferior to my LG V30, and consider going the DAP route when I change phone but I am also looking hard at the Q5S or the iFi equivalents (xCan, xDSD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back