Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #316 of 1,177
Hi @aldinho878, @Slim1970, @Rob49,

Comparing the PM 3 & 1AM2 is a tricky proposition, not only for the reasons @Rob49 already outlined but also due to both headphones using different drivers & technologies & they serve different purposes though I do use both as my reference headphones.
The PM 3 with its offical Oppo balanced 3.5 was my go to for 3 + years & is my still go on occasion though personally & subjectively, I lean towards the 1AM3 now as I feel I needed a break from the otherwise very good PM 3.

For those curious, PM 3 with the official Oppo balanced 3.5 is quite different to stock, tuning wise, as overall, cables do not change a headphone's base sound signature but just alter the sound to a certain degree for good or ill.
As a base line impression, subjectively & personally, Balanced vs Stock is as follows :

Stock - narrow, front facing sound
Balanced - much wider, rear facing, ambient, immersive sound
Keep in mind above impression also greatly depend on source synergy.

It is also important to note 1AM2 is based on the well known 7506, just a more techincally advanced version with greater frequency response, etc.

Overall comparative comparisons between the PM 3 with official Oppo Balanced 3.5 & 1AM2 4.4 adapted to 3.5 balanced (I don't have any Sony amps at present) are as follows :

All are fed component wise by RNHP with increased power PSU.

PM 3 with OB 3.5 Balanced - much wider, rear facing, ambient, immersive sound
1AM2 4.4 to 3.5 B - more ambient, immersive sound across all frequencies (not surprising as High Performance Dynamic over Balanced Reference style Planar) with more expansive & accurate bass response.
Isolation for both is above average.

Also depending on source &/or associated components can significantly affect synergy.

Hope this was helpful, feel free to ask me more if necessary.

For @stemplar,

I believe Brainwavz would be a good choice over 99 pads as I am not a fan of stock 99 pads which I swapped out for comfort reasons but didn't use Brainwavz.
As I don't feel the need to change the 1AM2 stock pads as I don't mind them overall, that may change at a later date but for now, no change is necessary.

For @Henry Hua,

Both 1000 X & 1AM2 are different headphones for different uses though as stated above, 1AM2 I use as my current 'reference' headphone.
I have the 1000 XM2 though I have demo extensively the M3, I will wait for the M4 if I consider an upgrade as aside from a few changes, I don't feel it is necessary.

@superuser1,

I would suggest trying veclan.com for your cable needs, they should be able to help or Null Audio has a nice range too.
Personally, I don't use 2.5 mm cables a whole lot, especially for headphones, IEMs are a different matter, especially when the stock 2.5 some come with are more than good enough for my needs, I rarely feel the need to use anything other than 3.5 or balanced 3.5

Hope everyone has a great day !

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #317 of 1,177
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #318 of 1,177
I recall you'd said they seemed to lose bass and treble. Interesting since they boosted both of those (the sub bass is unlike anything I've heard) on the predecessor MDR-1A.

I'm selling my MDR-1A, with a hard case, and Meze pads - $109, shipping included. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...-hard-case-meze-99-pads.892588/#post-14581310
Yes there was no debate in my mind about that. It clearly lost sub bass and treble for me and changed the sound not to my liking. Great price!

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #319 of 1,177
Yes they do fit snugly. I tried the meze pads on the 1AM2
thx markup,

I would also like to be more comfortable with Meze 99? (compared to the original) thicker? Thank you for your answers .
Anyway, it's worthwhile to use the balanced out to use Sony, the more beautiful, the more detailed the sound.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #320 of 1,177
thx markup, I would also like to be more comfortable with Meze 99? (compared to the original) thicker?
They are thicker and more comfortable in my experience. My ears don't stick out so when I say 99% of the time they never touched the inner driver it may not be for everyone. Again, as stated above, there is some concern here that unlike the prior MDR-1A series, due to the different shape of the ear cup, while they might fit, they may change the sound significantly too.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #321 of 1,177
They are thicker and more comfortable in my experience. My ears don't stick out so when I say 99% of the time they never touched the inner driver it may not be for everyone. Again, as stated above, there is some concern here that unlike the prior MDR-1A series, due to the different shape of the ear cup, while they might fit, they may change the sound significantly too.

Thanks for the reply .
The Meze 99 pillow has arrived in 4 days, I will try it soon.
The Sony MDR-1AM2 has nothing to do with embarrassment, I even listen to it in balance, and it's true that the comes ,,close,,(Not all genres.) to the HD660, so it's far ahead of the HD650 ... The predecessor for MD1A is far more realistic ..Like it.. :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #323 of 1,177
can anyone take a pic of the 1am2 with the meze pads on (larger version)? Do they fit exactly?
They fit perfectly! I gave away the meze pads or i would have taken a pic.

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #324 of 1,177
can anyone take a pic of the 1am2 with the meze pads on (larger version)? Do they fit exactly?

I have Meze99 sponge. But I did not put it up yet, Because I'm getting used to my ear to the factory (I do not replace it) I can do a photo to make Meze sponge next to it.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #325 of 1,177
Thanks for the reply .
The Meze 99 pillow has arrived in 4 days, I will try it soon.
The Sony MDR-1AM2 has nothing to do with embarrassment, I even listen to it in balance, and it's true that the comes ,,close,,(Not all genres.) to the HD660, so it's far ahead of the HD650 ... The predecessor for MD1A is far more realistic ..Like it.. :)
I own the HD650 and the 1AM2, the later doesn't even come close when it comes to sound quality. I am driving them both from a balanced output.

Sadly the 1AM2 and its predecessor the 1A (both of which I own) and lacklusters (to say the least) when it comes to sound quality and isolation. The only thing they have for them is that they can be driven on balanced and that they are comfortable to wear....and that's it.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #326 of 1,177
Try burning it in for some more, even tho I don't really believe in it for the most part, it seems some 1AM2 owners have been experiencing beneficial SQ gains from keeping on using the Sony.

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #327 of 1,177
I own the HD650 and the 1AM2, the later doesn't even come close when it comes to sound quality. I am driving them both from a balanced output.

Sadly the 1AM2 and its predecessor the 1A (both of which I own) and lacklusters (to say the least) when it comes to sound quality and isolation. The only thing they have for them is that they can be driven on balanced and that they are comfortable to wear....and that's it.

So true. I demoed the 1AM2 and it didn't even sound better than my M40x

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #328 of 1,177
This is probably a loaded question but I am curious for those who say 1AM2 have 'terrible' sound.

What source(s), source quality &/or amps are people using which makes this so.

Keep in mind, I have never tried 1AM so I can't compare between the two nor am I necessarily comparing the 1AM2 to other headphones either.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #329 of 1,177
Really enjoying this headphone from past 6 months. This eq setting gives me a satisfactory sound. Good clarity across the spectrum with enhanced bass is what I desire and I get exactly that from this setting.

Vocal clarity is also superb.

On some tracks, the bass is as good from a subwoofer.

I have to mention here that this headphone performs best with lossless files. FLAC songs give more detail, sound more dynamic and much better bass than mp3.

IMG_2049a.jpg

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #330 of 1,177
This is probably a loaded question but I am curious for those who say 1AM2 have 'terrible' sound.

What source(s), source quality &/or amps are people using which makes this so.

Keep in mind, I have never tried 1AM so I can't compare between the two nor am I necessarily comparing the 1AM2 to other headphones either.

This is a good headphone. (Price was much better than MSR7 was sold)
Listening to good sources (DAC / AMP).
Mostly, I'm listening to the LG V30 / ES100, unbalanced .FLAC / DSD / MQA.
But he also has a balanced out amplifier, FiiO Q5 AM3B balanced out of it is beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back