1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Jan 8, 2018.
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Next

Last
  1. chrisssssssss2
    Just wanted to share this purchase of a 4.4mm female to 6/35mm male balanced adapter that I found on ebay for cheap. Although it says it can't be used with AMPs, it works perfectly fine with my Schiit stack (magni3/modi3). The sound coming out of the balanced cable is much more crisp and detailed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132692503310

Also found this adapter for cheap as well on aliexpress, but haven't received it yet. I will update once I receive it:

FiiO LL-4.4M 3.5mm to 4.4mm Balanced Audio Adapter cable

EDIT:
    I just received the FiiO LL-4.4M 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced adapter, and it really doesn't do much to improve the sound coming out from the balanced cable. There is a noticeable difference when switching back to the ebay adapter, which opens up the mids and highs, making them more crisp and detailed. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Sp12er3 likes this.
  2. Sp12er3
    I mean earbuds as different FROM IEM of course.. You do know how earbuds look like like right? Those plastic circle without any sound tube to pass through, usually need foam to add even a sliver of isolation, THAT is earbuds. In Ear Monitor is of course different but as I said, I knew of several people that just can't tolerate IEM, They just can't get used to something entering their ears, for those people, only earbuds (because they hand on your ear rather than enter the canals) and on/over ears are their option.

monsieurfromag3 likes this.
  3. Mathieulh
    I have actually been quite serious.

Why not? both are closed back, I don't believe there should be a price distinction when it comes to comparing sound quality, I would also add that I compared it to other, much more affordable headphones as well.
    I own both the Momentum 2.0 and the MDR-1AM2, I have used both consistently for hours, including outdoors and I can tell you, in all seriousness and with utmost certainty that the Momentum 2.0 provide much better isolation. Have you actually tried both pairs instead providing raw numbers?

I have never stated that they weren't light or uncomfortable to wear, quite the opposite on fact.

I also never stated that they weren't easy to drive, that said, unlike you I am using a decent audio source, not my cellphone, I don't need my headphones to be easy to drive. It does make them more adaptable when they are but that's it. Think of it this way, the Apple earpods are easy to drive, yet they still sound like crap.

I don't consider having to crank the volume to listen to music to be akin to any kind of noise isolation, on the other end, I would very much love to preserve my eardrums while listening to music. That "bit of extra bass" as you call it, is actually poorly executed, bloated bass which masks a lot of details in whatever soundtrack you are listening to, I don't consider something "LOUD and BEEFY" to be a staple for good sound, If you do, you and I clearly have different standards when it comes to music or sound quality. Have you ever heard of something called the Dynamic Range?

So, according to your logic, someone cannot buy a product (at full price, or whatever for that matter) and dislike them or find faults in their design, if so, you can't take them "seriously"? What kind of a logic is that?
    Yes, I have money, enough to afford buying equipment (even ones that aren't so cheap), without prior testings, on hearsay or whatnot or because I like Sony as a brand and thought they might have improved on their first (disastrous iteration); if the second product happens to be as defective as the first one, it is well within my rights to be outspoken about it, whether or not you take this seriously is up to you. As far as I am concerned, I have been quite honest with my earlier statements regarding this product.

4. dusty-2011
    That's how someone thinks who is not after a serious discussion. People who enjoy being toxic compare a 200 euro product to a 2000 euro product, and then say that the 200 euro product is "ABSOLUTE TRASH".

"I own both the Momentum 2.0 and the MDR-1AM2, I have used both consistently for hours, including outdoors and I can tell you, in all seriousness and with utmost certainty that the Momentum 2.0 provide much better isolation. Have you actually tried both pairs instead providing raw numbers?"

I have been outside with the Sony MDR-1A over a hundred times, and I've been outside with the Sony MDR-1AM2 a couple of dozen times already. They provide quite sufficient isolation for my usage. With -7.5 dB of midrange isolation and about -30dB of treble isolation, they provide about -12.3 dB of environmental noise reduction (overall). For the Momentum 2.0, there's -9.3 dB of midrange isolation and -28.9 dB of treble isolation, resulting in -12.4 dB of environmental noise reduction (overall). This is only a TINY difference.

So, it's quite easy to tell that you are simply here to be toxic, instead of share an honest opinion about how well the Sony MDR-1A(M2) isolate.

"I don't consider having to crank the volume to listen to music to be akin to any kind of noise isolation, on the other end, I would very much love to preserve my eardrums while listening to music. That "bit of extra bass" as you call it, is actually poorly executed, bloated bass which masks a lot of details in whatever soundtrack you are listening to, I don't consider something "LOUD and BEEFY" to be a staple for good sound, If you do, you and I clearly have different standards when it comes to music or sound quality."

Well, I'm here to discuss this headphone with other people. People who might be interested in purchasing this headphone, and might have questions they would like to be answered. Or people who are interested in discussing this headphone which they already own, in a civilized manner, while making comparisons to other headphones that make sense (so not a 2000 euro model). You, on the other hand, are only here to be toxic.

Btw, funny that you DO like the Momentum 2.0 over-ear. That model has a pretty dominant bass-response. But I guess that model didn't "mask the details"?? But it actually has a quite dark sound, with emphasized bass, and clearly underemphasized treble. That's actually the type of sound that clearly results in the masking of details. The Momentum 2.0 lacks a little bit the details (and presence) of the vocals, lead instruments and cymbals. The Sony MDR-1AM2 on the other hand, is much brighter sounding, with much more treble presence. This would positively affect the details and presence of the vocals, lead instruments and cymbals. It could come at the cost of a little bit of sibilance, especially on bright tracks, but it does result in a more detailed sound than the Momentum 2.0.

So... that Momentum 2.0 you are mentioning, actually has an even BEEFIER sound. It packs quite a bit of bass (a clear overemphasis of the entire bass response), and it clearly under emphasizes the treble range. The type of sound which should be suitable for turning up the volume to loud levels, and enjoying a really BEEFED UP sound. It's very strange that you would like this Momentum 2.0 so much, yet you are so vocal here about not liking that type of sound at all...

Yes, I have money, enough to afford buying equipment (even ones that aren't so cheap), without prior testings, on hearsay or whatnot or because I like Sony as a brand and thought they might have improved on their first (disastrous iteration); if the second product happens to be as defective as the first one, it is well within my rights to be outspoken about it, whether or not you take this seriously is up to you.

Here's a funny thing! I actually bought the second iteration because I loved the first iteration! Now, how about that!?!
    If the Sony MDR-1A was, in your words, disastrous and defective, you clearly should not have bought the Sony MDR-1A, Model 2.
    Why do you like Sony as a brand? When the MDR-1A was disastrous and defective? And the MDR-1AM2 is also disastrous and defective? Is it because of that 2000 euro pair that you own? 2000 Euro vs 200 euro is quite a difference...

But anyways, Mathieulh, I think we've all heard you say enough times now how "DISASTROUS" the Sony MDR-1AM2 is. I can't talk for everyone of course, but it is clear to myself that you only want to be toxic when saying this, and that you are not interested in a serious & constructive discussion. But a serious and constructive discussion is really, really what I visit this thread for.

5. Mathieulh
    I hate to say it, but you sound like a broken record.
    "I own both the Momentum 2.0 and the MDR-1AM2, I have used both consistently for hours, including outdoors and I can tell you, in all seriousness and with utmost certainty that the Momentum 2.0 provide much better isolation. Have you actually tried both pairs instead providing raw numbers?"

Yes you have been with it (and probably not much else) "over a hundred times" yet you keep pulling measurements data (probably out of nowhere, but for all I know you may have a credible source) as if you were actually measuring these headphones yourself, this however expresses nothing about real life experience.
    If you fancy listening to distorted sound that lacks details then by all mean, use the MDR-1AM2 outside! You might as well be listening to 128kbps mp3s though because you'd be getting about the same (if not much worse) level of details, assuming you were standing in a noisy environment.

Here is the broken record once again.
    I did tell you multiple times that they isolate poorly (to say the least), yet you single-handedly claim my opinion to be dishonest (since you keep asking for a "honest opinion" as if whatever I've previously said does not matter.)

No, you just sound like a PR guy who takes a hit when it happens that someone dislikes whatever product he is attempting to sell. By the way, by leaving my impression, (as negative as it may), I am actually helping this community in making an informed choice regarding these headphones and taking this feedback into account, how is it that as soon as I don't like whatever you endorse, I am suddenly being "toxic"? So only YOUR opinion matters?

Yep, that about confirms it, you've never listened to the Momentum 2.0 in your life. Unlike you, I can actually prove that I own these headphones. Can you?
    Just in case you claim me to be a fraud (or toxic or whatever) here is an actual picture of ALL the headphones I've talked about in my previous posts in this very thread:[​IMG]

Again, acting like a broken record.

As to why I like Sony as a brand? Perhaps because the MDR-1A/1AM2 aren't their only headphones/audio offerings and that they don't always supply "broken" products?
    Sony sells plenty of good equipment, I love the walkman DAP range for instance, or most of the IEMs, the MDR-Z7 is also a very good product, the MDR-1A just isn't; period.

Anyway I am done arguing about this with you, this is not worth my time, nor the trouble. You should all know my opinion in regard to that matter by now.

6. dusty-2011
    Anyway I am done arguing about this with you, this is not worth my time, nor the trouble. You should all know my opinion in regard to that matter by now.

Thank you! Thank you! That was all I could wish for. :) That these extremely toxic posts of yours stopped, so we could get this thread back on its rails. So we could have informed discussions by people who are actually interested in the product at discussion here (Sony MDR-1AM2).

And if someone who isn't toxic wants to know where I took the measurements from, they are obviously not done by myself, but by an independent test website called "rtings.com". Here are the reviews of the MDR-1A and Momentum 2.0 from rtings.com:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-1a
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd1-over-ear-momentum-2-0

If you want to know more about noise isolation, I recommend these independent test results: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/isolation/noise-isolation-cancellation-passive-active
    But please note that that table contains many IEMs or headphones with active noise cancellation. Obviously, the Sony MDR-1A(M2) cannot achieve the same type of isolation.

I do not own the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. I do own the Sennheiser Momentum On-ear first generation, but I don't really use it anymore. I have listened to the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 in a shop, but it was not as comfortable as a Sony, nor was its sound as much to my pleasing. The Momentum 2.0 (over-ear) has a little bit too dark of a sound, in my honest opinion. From what I could tell in the shop, noise isolation was very similar to the Sony MDR-1A. And why on earth do I have to prove to you that I own these headphones? God! You are such a toxic person man.

I don't feel like taking any more pictures of my MDR-1A or MDR-1AM2. I already posted 102 pictures in total of these headphones, I think that's quite sufficient. I do not own any of the other headphones in your picture, so I do not have to take a photograph of them either. I feel it is quite redundant to link again to the pictures I took earlier, since they are just a couple of pages back, but anyways, here's the link once again: https://imgur.com/a/CEs9YKz

Where on EARTH did you get the idea I did all those measurements myself? I so happened to just own all those headphones?? For no apparent reason? And I just decided to buy all the necessary tools to do the measurements, and I just did them before posting here? God, you are so utterly toxic. Every other person on the earth would have just asked for the source of the measurements.

Please, Mathieulh, if the MDR-1AM2 is DISASTROUS and DEFECTIVE, then please, just post in the topics of the headphones you DO actually like, OK? You have made all your points clear already. I would prefer to read the posts of people who are not extremely toxic.

xba3 and monsieurfromag3 like this.
  7. Mathieulh
    Why can't I post about headphones I don't like or say share negative impressions about headphones? Is this supposed to be a forum where the only comments you can ever have are positive ones, else you are "toxic"? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

And obviously listening to a pair of headphones for a few minutes at best, in something that obviously isn't a silent environment, is of course enough to get a good, unbiased opinion/feedback on their sound quality, right? Whatever I say to you won't matter anyway, considering how I am such a "toxic person".

8. CoryGillmore
    [QUOTE="Mathieulh, post: 14600213, member: 439435"

the Apple earpods are easy to drive, yet they still sound like crap[/QUOTE]

Sorry but you’re one of the few people who’ve said the Apple EarPods sound like crap. For $30 you’d be hard pressed to find a better sounding IEM.

xba3 likes this.
  9. superuser1
    :D:D
    You will be surprised what you can find for $30

trellus and Sp12er3 like this.
  10. CoryGillmore
    Anyway I just purchased the 1AM2 to pair with a newly acquired Activo CT10 DAP. I have to say that this headphone has made me realize how I’m never buying an open back headphone ever again. I adore the in your face, intimate, “music in your head” presentation of this closed back headphone. I also own a Beyer DT880 250ohm and they have put me to sleep for years now. But that’s a neutral open back headphone for you Zzzzzz. I also owned an HD650 briefly but I sold them pretty quickly.

I don’t see how anyone can say these cans don’t isolate well....that idea is almost offeffesige as the isolation of these cans has been a revelation to me. They isolate better than my Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs for sure.

I bought these for work and I could not be happier with them. The isolation, comfort, easiness to drive and powerful bass are all right up my alley.

xba3 likes this.
  11. Mathieulh
    Well, if you fancy buying $30 IEM's which sound aweful and are produced with a less than $1 Bill Of Materials, go ahead! Nobody's stopping you. Otherwise if you choose to invest slightly more money you will have access to (sometimes surprisingly) good sounding products; the Klipsch R series comes to mind, with the R6 and R6II priced as low as $38.95 and $47.99 on Amazon respectively (I just checked) and sounding (arguibly?) a thousand times better (not that it's any difficult) than the ($30-ish) crApple EarPods.

To me it doesn't matter if a product costs $1 or $1000, if it sounds bad, I won't be investing a single cent in it, I also won't be praising it because of how inexpensive it may be, on the other end, if it's good sounding, no matter the price I will be more than willing to say good things about it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  12. Mathieulh
    What open back headphones have you tested? If you like "in your face" open back headphones that sound much better than Sony's MDR-1AM2, at a similar price point mind you, head over to Massdrop and buy the Sennheiser HD58X, its sound signature is as "in your face" as it gets without being bloated with poorly executed bass, it also sports tremendously more details than the MDR-1AM2 ever will.

I don't understand how you can say to like "in your face" sounds and still dislike the HD650 (although the appreciation for sound is a rather subjective notion) which also does have a narrow sound stage (especially for an open back), bringing vocals forward at the expense of sounding somewhat muffled, but some people like this sound and go as far as calling it the "Sennheiser veil", (which the HD58X also have, mind you) it isn't bad sounding though, just an accoustic design choice from Sennheiser bringing a different sound quality/signature compared to other offerings, I do personally prefer more neutral sounds but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Sennheiser's "veil" once in a while, especially on heavily focussed female vocal tracks. I do prefer Planar Magnetic or Electrostatic drivers to dynamic ones though, with one notable exception being the MDR-Z1R which probably has the best bass you can have on any headphones and the best imaging for closed-back headphones, otherwise I am more biased toward what you may call the Hifiman and Stax sound.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  13. Sp12er3
    One thing closed back and IEM can do is separation for the music and outside environment, I've tried a more than a couple pretty intimate open backs and I do love em, but sometimes I want that isolation which is not something the design can ever give.

Tho, my idea for intimate may be different for some, I have tried the HD600 and come off it thinking it's just dead neutral. The vocal did nothing for me, despite how much rave people seem to give for it. That must be because I'm just so used to euphonic in your face intimacy which Audio Technica cans usually give.

So yeah, different perspective, different impressions.

14. CoryGillmore
    It’s not that I didn’t like the HD650, it’s more shortly after I bought them I got in a financial bind and that was the most valuable headphone I owned so I sold them. That was like 7 years ago. From what I remember, the 1AM2 is very similar to the HD650. Tone down the bass a bit, throw in some outside noise, require a more powerful source and I’d say the two sound quite similar as far as I remember.

15. stemplar
    I would point out that Sennheiser has changed drivers for the 650 Series between 2008 and 2010. The "veiled" slow bass is no longer characteristic since. It's not accidentally manufactured for 15 years. (ie, 600 for 21 years), what type of HiFimant is the time it was last produced?
    :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    monsieurfromag3 likes this.
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Next

Last